New California for me! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New California for me!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by w0rtw0rt, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome to the club! Sorry, couldn't resist.

What is the age of your battery?

T

2. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    I actually always wait to start my engine after turning to key 2 position. Unfortunately, the first one came as I was stopped at a red light. I made it home with it and decided to try turning it off and doing another start. It still came back up. I am going to start it up again tomorrow and hopefully it’ll right itself.

As for my battery age, I was told it was replaced a year ago but, to be honest, I’m not sure. Couple all of this with FoA not being able to see me till 12/29, I’m a sad panda at the moment.

Luckily, my gears shift fine and nothing (noticeably) was wrong as I drove it back home. Think I’ll be ordering an OBDII on Monday to see what error it’s throwing. Crossing my fingers it’s either cat related or some type of sensor is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    As an update, I've ordered an Autel OBDII sensor. I will give an update on Tuesday when it arrives as to what error code the car is throwing. Crossing my fingers :).

RBully10 and tomc like this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Got this about 14K miles ago. Turned out to be e-vap system IIRC (i.e., I did not tighten the gas cap enough!).
    :rolleyes: Here's hoping yours is likewise minor...T

Sammi likes this.
  5. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    That is the exact message. Yep, I am hoping it is as well. I gave them a call today to see if I can get in earlier than the end of the month, but hopefully this OBDII reader gives me a good code to ease my mind. Now that you mention the gas cap, I am going to readjust it because I did just fill up on gas. "Try all the things!"

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Time before last when I gassed up, got that message again. Drove her home. Tightened the gas cap more enthusiastically, and took her out for a spin the next morning. Message went away and has not reappeared. Good excuse to drive her more! Good luck...T

7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Tighten the gas cap and be sure when filling up not to top it off like we all do in other cars. Once the pump stops, pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Oh man. I hope that it's nothing major.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know what? For a 2010 you are far better off with 50K on it than 5K on it. ;)

Congrats and I wish you good luck with it!

RBully10, tomc and AD211 like this.
  10. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

Enjoy the Cali, you’re going to love it after the i8

11. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Welp, got my OBD code. P0014. Camshaft B. Common issue. I am going to clear the code and give it a road test. If it returns, it's still safe to drive in short bursts (which is mainly what I do anyways) until I get it in to service at FoA on the 29th. Consider me relieved. This is much better than the $40,000 horror story FoA keeps talking about to try and sell me the warranty.

RBully10 and tomc like this.
  12. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agree to clear and see if its a recurring code. Quite a few conditions can trigger it if does keep coming up. Many are not too complex or expensive.
    Good Luck

RBully10 likes this.
  13. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    Thank you for sharing. Please keep us posted.

14. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Oh boy. It's the gift that keeps on giving. I got the gearbox warning light today after a long drive (near 2 hours). The car started only shifting from 1, 3, 5, 7. No even gears. I read another thread on here where that happened when the clutch or gearbox got too hot and could potentially be a cheap fix or could be the mother of all fixes. While my wallet is not going to enjoy this car, at least I did for my drive (until the gears went haywire).

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That doesn't sound good. That sounds like classic behavior for DCT sensor failure. Dumb question, will it go in reverse? I thought R was on the even # clutch. Any codes on your ODB reader?
    T

16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry to hear that!

17. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Thanks for the response Tom! Yeah, that's what I was reading too. Actually, it will go in reverse. No codes showing up on the OBD except for the P0014.

18. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Three big fears for Cali owners: DCT failure, retractable roof issues, and motor mount degradation!

19. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'll take motor mounts for $800, Alex ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist, may Mr Trebek rest in peace.

russellmcg likes this.
  20. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL vjd3! He will be missed!

russellmcg likes this.
  21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I hold my breath every time the roof moves! Luckily it only takes 14 seconds!:rolleyes:

RBully10, russellmcg and AD211 like this.
  22. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    So an update this morning, the error went away and it now shifts to all gears. This leads me to believe it was a heat or electrical issue with the DCT. Based on the thread I read yesterday (from 2013 I believe), a replacement gearbox was not required and the fix was quite cheaper than that. I guess shame on me for driving it 2 hours yesterday. Back to short stints with it until FoA can finally see me.

A side note to that, is November and December the prime part of the year for all of you to get your services and issues resolved? There were at least 5 488s in the garage along with numerous 458s, 430s, Californias, and I believe I saw a 308 in there, as well.

RBully10 likes this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My annual service is January time frame. Perhaps a lot of people do theirs at this time of year as it's not peak driving season?

T

24. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    W0rtw0rt, has the issue reappeared? Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Hey Rob!

Yes, it reappeared again. The second time, it took out my 4th and 6th gear, but not my 2nd gear. So, I had 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th. I was able to limp home again with it. This happened probably about a week ago. So, with that, I called FoA and told them that I will need them to flatbed it since I am about an hour away and I don't feel safe driving it out there. I have an appointment with them on the 29th. Michael Roth over there is already thinking I am going to have to spend about $36,000 on it (he told me replacing the entire thing is going to cost upwards of $40ish thousand). I will wait to see what they come up with but I feel like they're fleecing me a bit.

Edit: What he told me is it sounds like a speed sensor issue and one of the stage kits (I think 3).