F8 or STO? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the next buyer for an STO will be the same guy who is looking at GT3/2 RS and Pistas. He (maybe she) won't give two hoots for bling. Again, if you want BLING get an AV Roadster. (almost) nothing has the street cred of an AV Roadster.
    If you want a crazy driver's car....STO and make it as cheap and light as possible.
    I am tempted to spend $14k on paint (bright fun color)...and the package that gets you the Mags. That would make my STO in the mid $300s. Seems about right for what you get. Stupid money for a car that will lose value to be sure. It will lose far less value if you keep it pure and fluff-free.
    Last time I checked you only live once and you are dead for a real long time...live wisely.

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is exactly it. And that's why if you can swing it, do it. But on a car like this there will be many who just buy it for the look and not use it much, so when specing a car like this - which is expensive for what it is even bare bones - it often pays to go hard on the right options which attract buyers on the resale end, CF being one of them usually. Using Pisa as an example the ones with no CF and scant options sat and sat and had to be virtually given away to shift them. I suspect it will be the same case with this car too. Cars which look the biz shift easy at the right money. Not that you buy a car to sell it but selling does come around at one point and many of these types of cars are not held very long by the first buyer.

AtomicPunk88 and Fastmd like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think my spec is very similar to yours. Mine was 429k if I recall. I remember someone was giving me a hard time of why I didn’t spec a 500k Pista? (Not here but a friend of a “friend”. I was like I have every carbon op ion and nothing stupid like Apple car play for 5k and passenger display for 5k. You are right you will not get that back on resale but there is a bare minimum you need to spec on the car. On a Pista full exterior carbon is a must. But skip the lift, homelink, car play etc etc. they are worthless.

I’m Assuming STO is similar in that you need a smart spec to not get your ass handed to you come resale time.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Look, you have to also enjoy the process and the car or why bother? Fully support getting the spec you want, if thats bare or bull. If you know you will be burned and are upset about it a year in advance, why even play? (Because we’re addicted?!!!!)

AtomicPunk88 and SLDriver like this.
  5. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I believe an STO without exterior carbon will be harder on resale and command a significantly lower $$. Color is subjective. I like my Lambos loud, so I won’t go with white,black, grey which I like on most everything.

I also believe the Mag wheels will be one of those essential options. Interior carbon is probably a loser, but I won’t buy a Ferrari used if it doesn’t have it, for example led carbon wheel. I know it’s a gimmick, but I like it. I also chose it for my STO build.

Apple car play is free, lol.

Shadowfax, SLDriver and ScrappyB like this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Apple car play- 5k option with Ferrari. Free on a Kia.

Really like the STO but sitting this one out as I can’t fit in a lambo.

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    not in the US Shadow. the market was flat for maybe 60 days post covid then took off. high msrp or not. early low msrp buyers sold for the same price as high msrp buyers. Low MSRP sellers lost nothing. High MSRP sellers lost a ton. Same with Porsches. In conclusion, buyer 2 gives a hoot about bling IN THE US. Maybe not AUS.

Shadowfax and SLDriver like this.
  8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    because at this level feeling even a tad 'ripped off' sucks. the base car is beyond what anyone will ever need. And yes we are all addicted....and what a wonderful thing to be addicted to. :)

9. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Same here in Canada. My dealer had a verde scandal SVJ roadster with no exterior carbon, it sold within a month. The SVJ coupes with full exterior carbon package are still sitting on the showroom floor.

That said, the full exterior carbon on the STO will look good. It's the first Huracan with this much exterior carbon.

10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Right with you. Salivating about STO but I love my 580-2 as a daily driver and am thinking EVO RWD or used Perf is the way to go.

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    boxerman likes this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Bronze gets lost. Go red calipers with red contrast stitching. Could spring for red EVO trim

Shack, SoCal to az and SLDriver like this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    if going black, pick a contrasting color and carry the theme. If red calipers, then do red on the interior. Keep it cohesive. less is more.

Coincid, Shack, Surfah and 1 other person like this.
  14. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I’m so sick of black wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicPunk88 and Boomhauer like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  16. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    SoCal to az this is the spec I'm leaning towards. I might not do the red contrast trim because I can have my local PPF do the same for 1/3 the price. The STO sure looks stunning in black.

Shack and SoCal to az like this.
  17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
  18. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Btw, here's the CDN price guide.

Jcmd likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Are the stripes painted or stickers? If stickers- yeah- get your locks PPF guy to do it. If painted then pay for the paint.

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Contrast colour is painted not a sticker

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’ve found RL to be more of a community of guys that track there cars way more than here on FChat. Moving from the 997 to 991 GT forums over the past 15yrs is a large group of track guys about half I’ve known and been on track with. I’m just basing what I’ve seen and know and not here to compare Rennlist to FChat and start putting down Rennlist like you’ve started to do. WoW....

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Canadian Prices on the STO are outrageous.
    STO - Sticker on door- $ 3090
    Painted- $22,420. - The price of a Honda Civic.
    Full Livery painted- $44,380- Price of a C class Mercedes.
    Colored Seat Belts- $1930
    Rosso Mars Paint- Free on all Huracans- $23200 on STO
    Verde Mantis- $5600 on Perf, - $23200 on STO.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    So true.

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I do wonder if the added expense on the paint is because the panels are not alloy...they are 75% CFRP.

25. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Boomhauer likes this.