VL3 Ls aircraft in Europe | FerrariChat

VL3 Ls aircraft in Europe

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by boxerman, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Seems like when regulations allow, modern tech creates an aircraft that affordable with great performance.

https://www.jmbaircraft.com/

What does Rv or marchetti 260 do that this does not

VL3 seems fast modern reliable strong economic.
    I know its small but what am I missing here.

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It looks like one of the earlier Lancair Aircraft. I find it hard to believe it can pull those numbers with that engine. IF it can, it is an interesting airplane. I didn't see anything about pricing.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very impressive numbers, but it can't do them all at the same time. In other words, if you want that max speed and climb rate, you will not have any range. If you want that range you will not have that speed or climb rate, and you will be traveling by yourself. Even then 1.61mph/hp is a huge leap over any previous aircraft.

From the safety section of the website, I found this statement humorous

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Like an electric car.... couple 0-60 burnouts and the range drops from 300 miles to 50 miles.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    That's not true at all. A 0-60 blast in a Tesla takes an insignificant amount of range compared to gradually accelerating.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I looked up the performance metrics.
    More than suspiciously theyre not in one place, so I tried to glean from various articles.

From what I could glean. AT Fl 14, 188 kts it will exhaust its fuel supply in 3.5 hours. So lets figure an actual 600 mile range with reserves, at that speed.
    With full fuel it can carry another 350 lbs in passengers. Thats assuming a 1320lbs takeoff weight. Structuraly it seems these aircraft can handle more.
    At 150Kts range is significantly greater.

The lower powered versions can carry a some more weight, and have more range at lower speeds.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What does being an ultra-light buy them?

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Higher wts would lead to greater stall speeds, which have min (or max, depending on POV) cert requirements.

Its not an ultra light, nor is it even a LSA, other than gross wt.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-interests/light-sport-aircraft/getting-started-in-lsa/become-a-sport-pilot-and-fly-light-sport-aircraft/faa-sport-pilot-rule

Max. Gross Takeoff Weight 1,320 lbs (1,430 lbs for seaplanes)
    Max. Stall Speed 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
    Max. Speed in Level Flight (VH) 138 mph / 120 knots CAS
    Seats Two (max.)
    Engines / Motors One (max. if powered.)
    Propeller Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
    Cabin Unpressurized
    Landing Gear Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

In eupoe thats counts as a LSA. The land of the free is far more restrictive.
    They do not have speed restrictions there, or fixed gear or fixed ptich prop requirents. Therefore their lsa manufactuers have blossomed and come up with some really inetresting stuff. Its the application of tech in terms of materials powerplants etc.

I belive our LSA aircraft requirement have been under review for 3 years, with the hope they become mroe like europes, but the mountain is slow.

jcurry likes this.