Scary stuffing | FerrariChat

Scary stuffing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mexicruiser, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought a pair of taillight heat shields for the boxer, new in original ferrari box, when I opened them I found they come with this isolating material which could possibly be asbestos, not going to risk it so now I’m going to get me a P100 respirator and clean this stuff out, then probably mix it with cement to dispose of it safely (there are no hazardous materials containment places around here)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and vincenzo like this.
  2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Good call.

Good solution!

mexicruiser likes this.
  3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Actually the stuff works really well (I wish I could source it!), as it conforms around the lights. Just wear a mask and don't worry about it!

MOSS likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You raise an interesting point about NOS parts (if old enough) possibly containing asbestos.

My layman's understanding of asbestos exposure is that it is time-related: i.e. persons suffering health related issues were exposed for years such as boiler makers. You seem to have recognized the possibility of a problem early on and avoided more exposure. In addition to the respirator, wear gloves, wash the clothes you were/are wearing, and do the rest of the unpacking and cleaning outdoors.

Like the old saying goes: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

mexicruiser likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Once the fibers get in your lungs, they are never expelled by mucus because of their size. They just worm around inside your lungs destroying cells as they go for the rest of your life. Eventually enough damage is done to trigger a cell into cancer.

Likely a great idea for cement! That said.... it might be worthwhile to check with the abatement experts.

As a kid, we would use compressed air to blow out brake dust from inside the drums. No mask. Asbestos went everywhere. Between that and the solvent tank (bare handed), it is a wonder I made it this far!

willrace, mexicruiser and LARRYH like this.
  6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m too scared of this stuff to keep it on my car, specially on such a a place where everytime a bulb goes out I will have to wear a mask to change it. I know there is asbestos on some of the engine bay shielding, but there although it is pretty well packaged I still plan to seal the seams with silicone.
    There are no abatement experts in this area of the world, the weather is not cold enough for this to be a material regularly in use. It is still used mixed with cement to manufacture roof tiles or sheets, but no one seems to consider it dangerous around here.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    This is pretty funny. Way over reacting about asbestos. Toss it and move on. I don't think its asbestos to begin with, lol

8. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Rastus, what do you likes bestus? I like Assbestus!!
    Could not resist.
    John

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I was told it was rock wool but that could be misinformation

MOSS likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sealing it with epoxy paint would have done the same, as it's only when disturbed and airborne it's dangerous..

Lots better thermal barriers out there these days....

mexicruiser likes this.
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If you aren’t sure I’d treat it as asbestos. It looks dodgy enough and dates from an era where it was extensively used in ignorance of the health risks.

This is extremely dangerous substance and outride banned in a lot of country’s in the world for very good reason.

As said above, remove it outside, wear mask, goggles, gloves and plastic overalls and boot covers. Personally I’d be thinking about putting it in a double plastic bag and sealing it; put all of the above in the 2nd bag before you seal that.

As to what you do with that I’m guessing depends on local laws/ customs. Fortunately in the UK domestic quantities are easy to dispose of via government facilities.

mexicruiser likes this.
  12. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Sounds reasonable. Asbestos was mainly used to resist high temperature. In this situation there is no obvious reason for this specific capacity of asbestos.

13. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Hard asbestos like that used in naval ships is the burrowing type and VERY sharp. Most asbestos, about 95% doesn't burrow so well. Do you want to inhale any? Nope, but it isn't as nasty as the ambulance chasers haver made its out to be

14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Now that I think of it, I think the stuff is fiberglass. The same stuff is used in the 308 trunk and it makes you itch when you fool with it. It could be radioactive too?

15. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hopefuly, but what I saw on the internet rock wool is not white, and the pics I have seen of white asbestos look very similar to what I have here?

16. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The mufflers are right there, I suppose it is to protect the plastic tailights and wiring from the heat.

17. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well this is now buried, literally.
    It was fairly easy to remove most of it with using some water to keep it from going airborne, I don’t think it was fiberglass because water seemed to wet it quite easily. I used a paint mixer on a drill and a bucket to break it up into a “soup” then added cement until I had “pudding”. After it dries I’ll have to see what I do with the rock.
    Used gloves and a P100 rated breathing filter, some old clothes and threw everything away in a double bag.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

A348W and vincenzo like this.
  18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I have lived 60 years and seen some nutty things in my life but this has got to be in the top 10.

JLF likes this.
  19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    More nutty things to round out the top ten - as required by law....

MOSS and mexicruiser like this.
  20. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Asbestos, glass wool, rock wool..it is all bad for your healt, even saw dust from wood species..Always wear mask

vincenzo and mexicruiser like this.
  21. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I admit it is pretty nutty by local standards too, to be honest people here throw used oil on the ground and antifreeze down the drain, heck catalytic converters are a form of currency, there are no hazmat containment centers in this area, and I wouldn’t just throw it away into the hands of others who ignore what they are dealing with.

MOSS likes this.
  22. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The white stuff on those pipes looks exactly like the padding on my taillight covers, wow that must have been one costly clean up.