F12 DeCat- feedback please | FerrariChat

F12 DeCat- feedback please

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Charlie360MC, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Charlie360MC

Charlie360MC Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Pilkington
    Hello all!
    I've just bought a decat exhaust pipe with cross over from ebay, good quality made system.
    Currently have the Brooke Racing Exhaust switchable back box, very happy with it. Only slight negative is that town 1500-1800 drone, seems to have just amplified the standard drone there.

Anyway, can someone give some feedback on when they put a decat on? Is it crazy loud!?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Avia11 likes this.
  2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

In a word: yes. It is very loud. It's not much of an issue in the countryside, but in cities it will be very obvious and loud, unless you keep the revs low. The cold start is especially brutal. Decat is also illegal, although lots of people don't seem too bothered. Might be an issue at MoT time.

To reduce drone I would consider installing an x pipe instead. You mentioned your decat pipe came with a "cross over" - presume you meant x pipe? I'd put that on and see how you go. You can always do the decat later, if you have some sort of argument with your neighbours and want to punish them :)

As an aside, I'm about to use Brooke Race Exhausts to make sports cats for my 812 GTS. I've never used them before (always Kline, Capristo or Novitec) but they seem good. Fitting next week!

PS. the F12 and 812 SF cabins are pretty well insulated so loud exhausts don't seem THAT loud inside, even if you have the windows down. But trust me, if you have a decat and accelerate heavily, it is BRUTAL from the outside. I mean, I like it, but many bystanders won't :)

Thanks

Karl

Avia11 likes this.
  3. Charlie360MC

Charlie360MC Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Pilkington
    Thank you, yes I was conscious not to lose the calm cruising element of the car as I do use it for long trips.

It came with the X pipe, currently I have the H pipe, wanted to keep the deeper tone. I understand the X pipe raises the pitch.

I'd still have the flap control with the (much smaller than oem) boxes which do a good job at the moment, however I do wonder if they'll been swamped once the CATS are taken away!?

4. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    If you live in a neighborhood where you’ll see people over and over again I think it’s an inconsiderate thing to do. Just crack the windows a bit if you want more volume inside the cabin.

5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    With no cats & flap control, it is still possible to drive the car relatively quietly - keep revs low / gears high and drive in the setting which closes valves at low revs. Two issues with this (1) the cold start is still brutal, no way to avoid. The worst bit (for your neighbours) is it starts with a sudden bang that sounds like a shotgun (2) will you really drive it in a sedate, low rev manner? if not, it quickly becomes very loud....

6. Charlie360MC

Charlie360MC Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Pilkington
    Yes even stock they're pretty loud on cold start up
    I don't really have neighbours as such so home/garage start ups aren't really an issue, however leaving a hotel first thing in the morning might be! haha

7. FRR12

FRR12 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    NOVITEC problem solved :)

pt95 likes this.
  8. ait_z28

ait_z28 Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    I've got the sport de-cats which are 100cell. Full system from Novitec.

Like other said, startup is an explosion. My apple watch triggers a warning "there is noise that can harm your ears" :D

Solution to this is to engage the valves (get a remote for valve control).

Startup (cold start)
    With valves on: you get an explosion for around two seconds and then it quiets down to stock like startup noise.
    Tip- whenever you finish your journey, engage the valves before turning the car off, you won't be able to engage them once the car is off.
    With the valves off: your ears will bleed at startup for a good 10-20 seconds. You will shake the house, scare the neighbors and make a scene wherever you are.

Also, with valves closed you get to enjoy stock like noise at low RPM.

Under load and with the valves open, the car is LOUD, on a scale of 0-10. 0 being an electric and 10 for a race car. I'd give it an easy 8.
    High pitched F1 noise come in higher RPMs, you'll have to push the car to move it from growly low RPM noise to the lovely screamy pitch.

9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks, that's interesting, I didn't know you could make the cold start more tame by engaging valves before you switch it off!
    Minor correction - it's not a 'sports de-cat'. De-cat means cats removed, sports cats is high flow cats fitted (100 or 200 etc cell) to replace stock ones :)

ait_z28 likes this.
  10. Charlie360MC

Charlie360MC Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Pilkington
    Thanks guys

I'm thinking about looking into have sports cats put into the pipes. I think the novelty of the noise would wear off after a few weeks!