QV ecu wiring pictures. | FerrariChat

QV ecu wiring pictures.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Banzairacer, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Does anyone have pictures on the assembly wiring of the ECU. see pictures.

Is the second relay (silver capsulated) wired properly in the pictures. P/N 61766200

When I opened up the compartment I noticed a loose wire - looked like it was supposed to be connected somewhere.

Not sure if it should be connected to the single spade connector or was it supposed to be connected to the slot on the right?? (At the 3 o clock position on the relay??

I did connect them to the same
    Spade connector and the car started fine with the same issue for low bumpy idle.

The idle is very rough and low to no power below 2000 rpm. Sluggish start but when I’m above 2500 rpm it’s fast.

Also think I’m hearing a backfire - get an occasional pop on WOT parked while checking throttle response.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Pictures of the relay assembly would be helpful also.

View attachment 3045968 View attachment 3045969 View attachment 3045970 View attachment 3045971

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Going by the mondial 3.2 qv diagrams the brown with black stripe goes to the tacho, but only shows one off. What colour is the 3rd wire ? Not an original connection for sure.

3. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I’ll see if I can take better pictures.

better color and definition

4. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    OK brown wires to the second relay. Does not look like a custom wiring issue as this is in the wiring diagram - just the the colors of the wires are not given. Apparently with the 85QV there are three relays two black on the ECU and this one.

My question is are the two brown wires supposed to be on the same spade? Or does the one brown wire soldered to another go in the relay slot to the right of the 12 o clock position (@3 o clock) where the spade was originally.

When I first opened it it looked like both brown wires were shoved into the 12 o clock position. Dunno if that is intentional or just happenstance.

I’m doubtful that this simple connection is the bane of my fuel issues - but one never knows the Ferrari wisdom

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    I'm going to assume that you have a 1984-85 US version 308QV so please confirm/deny that before reading further.

That is some serious hack-ology. What's happened is someone has replaced the now-unobtainable 5-pin US '84-85 308QV Protection Relay (that has a built-in 10A fuse) with some sort of WEHRLE relay (that probably doesn't have a built-in fuse so the "over-voltage protection" function is lost -- cars that would use this WEHRLE relay would have the 10A fuse somewhere else in the wiring harness). This figure describes how one connects the wires from the now-unobtainable 5-pin US '84-85 308QV Protection Relay (that has a built-in 10A fuse) to the still-obtainable 4-pin US TR/328 Protection Relay (that also has a 10A fuse, but it is externally accessible):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

My advice would be to buy the TR/328 Protection relay (you can get one from Pelican Parts, or Ricambi, etc.), and then hook up the wires as described in the figure above -- it looks like this (and is now Stribel 92861512402):

The way it works is that, whenever the engine is running or cranking, the three PN (beige-black) wires should be +12V -- this is the +12V that runs the injection ECU and causes the frequency valve to "buzz". If they are not +12V, the injection ECU won't work and the air-fuel mixture will be very lean (because the frequency valve will be dead/always closed). Obviously, one of your PN wires has been cut and replaced with something else so that's a wildcard. Bottom line is that your frequency valve should be "buzzing" whenever the engine is running or cranking (you should be able to confirm/deny this just by touching it). Good Hunting!

miketuason likes this.
  6. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Yes I have a 1985 US QV.
    Thanks Steve. I figured you might have insight. I’ll try your suggestions and share them with my folks working on the car.

7. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Dear Steve forgive my naïveté
    Frequency valve?

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Hack- ology sounds about right in this case

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's also sometimes called the "metering valve" (it's located next to the fuel distributor) -- it's a controlled leak device that changes the lower chamber pressure in the fuel distributor to change the amount of fuel being delivered for a given plunger position (i.e., it changes the pressure difference across the slits in the fuel distributor which changes the amount of fuel flowing thru the slits for a given slit opening):

miketuason likes this.
  10. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    awesome thanks Steve..... a great learning opportunity for me.