GTE electrical whine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTE electrical whine

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 635CSI, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Just to be clear we are talking the red and black wires that run into the top of the coils ? Visible in this picture ?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Joe,
    I disconnected those, no change in the noise.
    What does stop the noise is removal of the wire pictured below from the right hand side of the top left fuse.
    After leaving the fuse holder the wire runs right along the bulk head and disappears under the Metal cover (on the front of which sits the bonnet catch).
    I am also discussing this on tomyang.net, do you also visit that site ?
    Pictures of suspect the wire below...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have a feeling that that wire runs back to the ignition

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Graham, is that a naked black wire or is it a wire within a black sheath? Ferrari wires do not typically run naked in the engine bay; they are enclosed in a black sheath until terminated. If it is naked, it may not be a part of the original loom.

john

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so you disconnected both or only one?
    but if there is still the noise that it not comes from the ignition coils
    could it be that this wining comes from the ventilator behind the coils?
    of could it be that this what you hear is fuel in the line to the carbs when the rear fuel pump is running? so as if the fuel is pressed thrugh a narrowing?
    you may use a stethoscope like the doctor has and try to locate where this whining comes from exactly

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Joe, I disconnected both wires (r&b) from both coils , no affect on the noise.
    I will get that stethoscope and explore the ventialtor. Though the interior fans (f&r) seem to run normally when switched on from the Bakelite switches in the central consul.

John, The black wire is not double sheathed but has a more robust covering than other wires.
    From its direction and from the wiring diagram in the GTE manual I wonder if it runs back to the ignition switch.
    My explorations will continue later this week.

Thanks again all,
    Graham

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Graham, that black wire was likely added either to replace a faulted (original) wire or to serve a specific purpose, like anti-theft, etc. You may want to find out where it starts and where it ends, and then see if you can eliminate it. That just might solve your noise problem too.

john

9. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That's interesting John, I guess a logical move would be to remove disconnect it and see if the car still starts, and what other functionality is affected.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    graham, you have written when you remove the left top fuse the whining stop. so you may follow the wires after the fuse where they go. could be no so difficult because not many wires there. you eliminated the coils. what is written on the fusebox cover top left? can not read it

11. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Romano, guessing from the S3 wiring diagram I have there is only on additional wire going to the control box. See my post further up. But I agree to check on the real car what is connected to the upper left fuse and to follow it.

Christopher

12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    SPRINTEROGINI

13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok , this is interesting. I decided to check functionality with the mystery wire disconnected.
    The objectionable noise ceases,
    None of the electrics operated from the central console cease to be operational.
    The starter motor woks and the engine turns over.
    However the battery needs a charge. The car has been started a good few times during this investigation without a drive.
    I will charge it tonight.
    Tomorrow I will try to start the car with the wire disconnected.
    IF the car starts, what can the wire be for?
    IF it doesn’t I will start the car with the wire connected and the noise blaring,
    So, if it only starts with the wire in place I suspect it is something to do with the coils.
    If the car starts without it, and everything works without it, I am inclined to tape it off and ignore it.

Does that sound logical ??

14. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Graham, have you found the culprit?

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hey Chris,
    Not yet, disconnection of the mystery wire doesn't seem to affect the operation of the car.
    However, the cabin blower has stopped working (wire in or out), though its fuse remains un-blown.
    The blower was an early suspect and may now be back in the frame.
    The car is going to Terry Hoyle in a few weeks for some other work.
    He has an electrician he uses on the classic Ferraris so I think it is time to hand over to a professional.
    I will advise of the (hopefully) final findings.
    Thanks, Graham

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder very much: when you hear a noise then normaly you can locate it. problem is when the noise comes and goes, but as I see it the noise is always?

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes it is “on” when the black wire is connected to the top LH fuse holder, and it strays on until that wire is pulled.
    I am awaiting stethascope delivery from Amazon ..

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My cheap but effective stethoscope arrived and has proved quite handy.
    The noise is loudest when the scope is placed against the metal box on the bulkhead (that has the hood catch mounted on it) and when placed above the dash. There is no noise coming from the coils or distributors.
    So , what lies behind this box ?

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I’m guessing it has something to do with the now inoperative front cabin blower motor...

20. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    The Blower motor is directly below the central bonnet lock. It is attached on the engine side to the firewall and looks like a round box connected to the blower hoses. It seems that it is the motor bearing making the noise.
    Only thing that makes me wonder is the blower wire connected like it is to the fuse you discribe. It should be connected differently per my wiring plan and the fuse you describe should only have connection to the ignition coils and VR.

21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Agreed Christopher, on the diagram and illustration in the GTE manual, if I recall correctly, the blower motor (ventilatori) should connect to the 4th fuse down on the left hand (Spinterogeni) column of fuses.
    Though as some have observed, after 60 years and 1 complete restoration things may not all be as when she left the factory !

22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That particular fuse also serves the overdrive and has a habit of blowing when the overdrive is engaged. Checking the overdrive is on the job sheet for when she goes back to Terry Hoyle for some work in a few weeks. My Lancia 8.32 is arriving from Terry and he is back hauling the GTE to his workshop.

23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi All, I tried to post these pics, and ask the questions on Tom’s site but as ever uploading photos on there is beyond me.
    So, lets try on hear. Tom has suggested that I locate the voltage regulator, as it is possibly activated by the mystery wire. He says it is either behind the dash on the passenger side or behind the fuse panel. Is it perhaps located behind box’s A or B? And could anybody tell me what components C, D and E are?

24. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    A is the voltage regulator
    B is the headlight relay
    C is the flasher for the turn signals
    D, can't tell
    E is a relay, probably for the horn.

635CSI likes this.
  25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so you still have no find the whinig noise?
    hard to believe that you not found it yet :(
    when there is a noise then you can find it. if the noise would be online sometimes during driving then it will be hard to find