2021 812 GTS Owners Review | FerrariChat

2021 812 GTS Owners Review

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Avia11, Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    There have been a lot of requests for a "review" on the 812 GTS and there has been relatively sparse feedback from the press so I thought I'd put together my first impressions.

Appearance: Simply put, the car is a stunner, especially in metallic colors. Seeing it in pictures versus seeing it in person are 2 very different experiences. In pictures, it seems like the rear of the car is not as sculpted but when you see it in real life there are shapes and curves and design elements that are imperceptible in photos. In some photos, there are some awkward angles, but in reality, when it goes from a 2D photo to a 3D shape, you realize the car is unbelievably beautiful and very well sculpted. The aggressive stance, the newly designed rear diffuser, the rear buttresses, and the silhouette are just stunning. It looks like it's moving, even when it's standing still.

Gear Box: My cousin and I drove it back to back with his 812 SF. We both felt that the shifts were quicker and the gearbox was tuned slightly differently than the coupe. If you leave the car in automatic, it will rev up pretty high before jumping to the next gear vs in the SF it feels like its shifting up at relatively lower RPM. That could also be related to how the car has been driven but its an important difference as it has an impact on the sound.

Drive/Feel: I drive it in race mode with bumpy road mode on and it feels planted and there is no cowl shake, either with the roof up or down (even when bumpy road mode is off). I am in the market for a Pista Spider, so I drove one. I think others have also commented on this, but the GTS feels more planted than the pista spider. The pista spider has some cowl shake whereas the GTS does not. The GTS and 812 SF driving dynamics are very similar. The GTS can be just as raw and aggressive depending on what mode you are in. It's crazy fast, the steering is very direct, and the power is endless. This is an untamed beast in a GT party dress. You absolutely have to wait for the tires to warm up and the long front end makes you feel like you're in the batmobile.

Visibility: Overall it's decent but it can be hard to see over the buttress with the roof up.

Comfort: I am a little short of 6'2'' and I got the CF race seats. I have the seats set to the lowest height and pushed all the way back. There is plenty of legroom. My head does sometimes come close to the roofline when I get in with the top up, but that's an easy fix :). The car is comfortable on long journeys for me. Passenger comfort is great as well. I have had no real complaints from passengers ... except when the torque throws them back into the seat so they can no longer change the music selection or play with the passenger display :).

Sound: Yes, there is a GPF on every 812 GTS. However, unlike the F8, the 812 GTS retains its scream and gains a very loud and characteristic deep bass at lower revs that carry forward into the higher rev ranges. Does it sound different than the 812 SF, yes. I heard them side by side. What happens is that the SF screams without a dual pitch (no bass); as you gain in the rev range on the GTS the bass and scream merge in some kind of magnificent sound duel. If you keep your foot on the gas, the high pitch scream becomes the predominant sound. In the 812 SF, the scream is the predominant sound from 4,500 RPM up. When the roof is down, or the roof is up and the back window is down there is no comparison, the 812 GTS is much louder. When the roof is up and the rear window is closed, it depends on where you are in the rev range, but generally, the loudness is similar.

Interior and Electronics: There have been some updates to the electronics, maps, and safety driving features. Apply Carplay is actually really useful. The upgraded sound system is worth the money. I spec'd the car with a lot of interior CF but not much external CF. It came together very nicely. It retains the luxurious cabin feel with a few updates. The passenger display may sound like a gimmick but my nephews love it, and that makes it worthwhile for me.

Driver Aids and Start/Stop: I turned the start/stop off and it has stayed off. The speed limiter is annoying but it's good if you want to avoid troubles associated with triple digit land. The camera system is topnotch, I didn't want the ugly box in the front grill so I did not check that option.

Luggage Space: There is enough space for a weekend trip for 2. I haven't tried putting my golf clubs in there, but I don't think I'd park this beauty at a country club, maybe a yacht club with private parking.

General Publics Attention: If you're getting one of these, get ready for attention, lots of it, wanted and unwanted. The GTS gets more attention than my Speciale, the SF, the Ghost, or the Pista. People want pictures with it. People don't always know what it is but everyone stops and stares at it. Top up or top-down. It can be a little much but understandable.

Numbers: I know there are a lot of posts saying that anyone can just go to their neighborhood Ferrari Store and pick one up, but that has not been true. My cousin (strong ownership history) just tried to order one today and they don't have the allocations. We checked with multiple dealers. Supposedly they are done for the 2 years. So if you have put down your deposit, and gotten your build locked-in, great news for you. If you're a wait and maybe, it's a maybe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jamalj, JariT, Wheels1 and 31 others like this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very nice indeed - Congrats and Enjoy

Avia11 likes this.
  3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you :)

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Thanks for the review. My car is here and I’m even more excited to drive it after reading. Can’t wait for ppf install to finish.

You mentioned you turned off stop start and it has stayed off. Did you just press the off button in the overhead area once and it has stayed off even when restarting the car?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    yes, so far! congrats and post pics when you can... I had my entire GTS PPFd and the anticipation was intense haha :)

junc likes this.
  6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
  7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Beautiful spec, TDF blue looks great :)

8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thank you for the excellent and detailed write up. I agree with most of what you said. Based on my ownership (3 months, 2250 miles), a few comments;

- attention. I find mine (in Grigio Titanio) gets a lot of attention when the roof is down, but with roof up (when no one really knows its a convertible) it doesn't really.
    - visibility. I find the main issue is that on the drivers side the blind spot is significantly worse than the SF. The shape of the buttress means it kind of curves around you, almost like a little cave. Not great when changing lanes! You get used to it but it is a pain at first
    - driver aids. Funny that your start/stop stays off. Mine needs to be switched off every time you start (as was the case for my Portofino & 812 SF). I wonder if this is a market-specific setting by the dealer?
    - sound. I agree they have done a good job, given GPF. Note also that the sound improves a lot within the first 1,000 miles or so (I presume as the GPF material burns off / settles in). I personally prefer the scream of the SF so am putting sports cats & X pipe on my GTS to get that sound back. I also want a bit more volume. But it is a matter of preference of course!
    - numbers. They were sold out in the UK but I have heard that some people here cancelled their orders recently. The main reason is the soft market for used 812 SF, so the cost to upgrade was too high. I would say if you've previously been told not possible, ask your dealer again... !

Thanks & keep the reviews coming - can't wait for spring to use the GTS more... hopefully the driving events that got cancelled this year will happen in 2021!

Karl

9. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    #9 RamsHmb, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Great write up and completely agree. I have said many times how beautiful I think it is but you really have to see in person. I think you may have a “good” gremlin on your start stop...I have to turn mine off every time

tickerhound, junc and Avia11 like this.
  10. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Beautiful, enjoy!

Avia11 likes this.
  11. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    What a beautiful spec, congrats!!!!

Avia11 likes this.
  12. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you!

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Avia & others great write ups for a morning read , thanks !

I am more excited for this car than I was for my SF.

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Alcav5, post pics of your build and of the car when it comes in! :)

15. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Good gremlin for sure. My service tech insists you need to turn it off on every restart. We shall see .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

RamsHmb likes this.
  16. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks for the great write up!! I can’t wait. Snow be gone and car arrive please! I heard the same 2 years production and done. Anyone that can enjoy now get out and drive it like hell.

Avia11 likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on your beautiful GTS and thank you for sharing your opinions! :)

Avia11 likes this.
  18. mavila

mavila Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    mavila
    Congratulations on a beautiful car, and great perspectives!

Avia11 likes this.
  19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. akk

akk Rookie

Jul 13, 2007
    Magnificent car
    And excellent review, very vivid!!

Avia11 likes this.
  21. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thank you for your informative detailed review - also fabulous specc! Congrats ! Enjoy !

Caeruleus11 and Avia11 like this.
  22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Had the very distinct pleasure to drive an 812 GTS today at an Esperienza Ferrari event. (Thanks to Boardwalk and FNA for the opportunity!) All I can say is that for those lucky enough to have one of these in their garage, WOW!

It looks great, inside and out, & I thought it sounded great. It was raining, so we drove with the top up and the back window down. Interior fit and finish, ergonomics from the cockpit & cabin layout were fabulous; much better than Roma IMO. As with other newer Ferrari I have driven, I was amazed at how civilized it was just cruising around on surface streets. I didn't push it because it was raining, and my grandma taught me to respect OPP. But still and yet, I was very impressed...T

of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  23. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Lucky you. When’s the trade up to V12?

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. Lucky indeed. Saving my pennies and chatting with the wife!
    T

of2worlds and Avia11 like this.
  25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’m loving mine, had it out again today and even walking up to it and firing up that V12 puts a smile on my face every time. I’d still like a little more volume, especially at lower revs, so am getting sports cats fitted next week.

btw thank god for PPF!! I parked in a new spot in underground carkpark for a week. Came back and some nasty liquid had dripped all over the rear from a leaking pipe! Thanks to PPF no paint damage. This to me illustrates why full car PPF is a no brainier for cars like ours!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login