458 - New 458 Italia is amazing........almost [emoji53] | FerrariChat

458 New 458 Italia is amazing........almost [emoji53]

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Stams, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hello my friends.

Just took delivery of my 458 last night. Yes, the transport was late and we did this in the darkness but that is a whole other story.

On the drive home on the interstate I noticed an intermittent rattle at 70 mph that becomes constant and unbearable at 80+. Sounds like it is coming from behind my head in the rear deck lid. No vibrations felt in the pedals, wheel, or seat when the rattle starts. Seems to be related to speed and roughness of road.

I checked this morning and the glass in the deck does easily make noise when tapped and the strut on the lid does seem more loose than on the other side. Didn’t have time for anything else.

This is a CPO car and I imagine this is an easy fix.

My plan is to do a very thorough inspection of the engine compartment and make sure everything seems in place and likely go to F of Denver to take them on a ride along.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated. Would love for this to be an easy DIY fix and then enjoy the car. Right now, not so much.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    First, congratulations! Any rattle can drive you crazy listening to it plus your mind starts trying to figure out what's about to come apart and scatter all over the road.A quick call to the selling dealership with your description may lead to a quick fix otherwise having someone ride with you that look and listen could narrow it down too. Best of luck and enjoy the ride. Post up a pic!

3. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Congrats on your new toy!!
    Reading your story brought back many memories of when I bought my car 1.5 years ago.
    My car was delivered at 11:30pm on a week night in my development. I told the driver this wasn't a good idea when he called me but gave me no other choice. I had a lot of explaining to do to my neighbors in the following weeks.
    I have a '14 Spider that was a CPO car but it had a couple of issues like yours that I didn't notice when I looked at it.. The engine struts were weak and need to be replaced. I purchased them on line and did the job myself as it is an easy fix. There was also some staining on the leather headliner that needed to be cleaned and re-dyed (paid to have this done).
    The rear fog light surround on my car was cracked on delivery and the bill was split between me and the dealership. It wasn't this way when I looked at it at.
    Bottom line is that the car wasn't perfect and I didn.t expect it to be. Small repairs are fun and as long as they don't break the bank, no biggie. When the repairs are larger than I feel I wanted to cover a polite conversation with the dealership is a good place to start.
    Whatever happens, don't let this sour your experience on owning these great cars!!

Regards,
    Gene Greer

4. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks guys! For awhile there I thought I was out there on my own .

But the problem was that as soon as I heard that rattle, I couldn’t get it out of mind. It was the only thing that I could hear and that’s just not right in a 458.

I did call my salesman and he was great. Tried to get some info from his techs but basically it’s a “gotta be there to hear it” situation.

He is going to take care of it.

Snuck the car past the kids last night and did the big reveal after school today. Priceless! Fun taking the family for laps around Colorado.
    I think it will be a quick and easy fix and the smiles were back today!

Pictures soon!

elt360 and Regular Guy 01 like this.
  5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Congratulations and welcome aboard!

6. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So some closure in case someone has a similar problem.

I dropped off the car and told them the story that it didn’t happen until above 75-80 mph. That was a problem for them because they can’t break the law to diagnose the issue and they couldn’t ride with me due to COVID.

Long story short, they used a leaf blower to blow air into the various ducts around the front and undertray and reproduced it!

They took the undertray off and found a loose bolt! They didn’t take any pix unfortunately.

She’s tight as a drum now and loving it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats and gorgeous car!

8. 997_T_u_r_b_o

997_T_u_r_b_o Rookie

Nov 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
  9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beauty! Congratulations!

10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Welcome to Club 458! I’m glad you got your rattle sorted, so you can enjoy your beautiful 458! It’s an epic ride and one that only gets better every time you hit the twisty bits and hear it growl at 9000 rpm!

Cheers!

11. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks! Took her out yesterday just for a cruise. 38 degrees so just a leisurely stroll. She did get to see a few snowflakes tho!

Never a bad day when she gets out. Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Everyone stay safe out there and happy holidays!