F8 or STO? | Page 30 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The evolutionary appearance of the Porsche to the layman’s eye represents a distinction with very little difference. No one will mistake it for a super car. One can quibble about subjective details of the STO but it is instantly apparent that it, along with Ferrari and McLaren, are super cars.

Surfah, Boomhauer, Dicecal and 2 others like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I agree with you Scrappy. Its not as if Lambo has any other new offerings to stimulate sales so it stands to reason the STO will not be as limited as some would wish to believe.

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lamborghinis are heavy beasts due to the substantial mass of the NA engines.

4. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree with you 100%

I would much prefer a cohesive design that is considered “ageing” versus some of the designs that we see now like the SF90.
    The F8 is much more cohesive and beautiful in my opinion.

The AMG GT is also “ageing” and that design is the garish with the BS.

Unfortunately, a lot of my cars are old and “ageing”

I don’t think they look that bad, but my opinion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Perhaps in a very basic physical sense to a very average layperson not interested in cars. But even a lay person would have to be blind not to see the differences once each is parked alongside one another.

Porsche has clearly demonstrated a remarkable success from evolution of their 911 and, revolution exceptionally well.

Not even a poor driver would mistake the improvements made between the new model and the predecessor after driving each, and the circuit times always support a marked improvement over the outgoing model.

These are the hallmarks of a successful sportscar manufacturer evidenced by a continuity of race wins and awards.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You have an enviable collection there Fastmd! And in that sense who cares what looks new and what looks old so long as they are all good to drive! Mind you the all look very good to me and like the colors how they all work together. Very nice indeed!

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Spoke to a hardcore Lamborghini owner at a recent C&C, and he’s number one for (what he’s being told) an April delivery. For someone like me, who has zero status with Lamborghini, I’d feel foolish standing in line in the hopes I’ll get an allocation in ‘22 or ‘23 (And if you think this is crazy, try ordering a C8, LOL!).

I’ll happily enjoy my 458 Spider this winter in FL, attend a few exotic shows, drive it daily, keep it serviced, and let all this mayhem settle and the cards fall where they may. I’m fine with a pre-owned STO or F8 Spider- should it come to that - when the time comes.

The way I see it, I’m in a great place right now.

Napoli and ScrappyB like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Funny enough, we will complain if models change too often or not often enough. I do agree that they will taken anyones order once the hype dies down.

Shack, Boomhauer, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    thanks for posting this. So everyone please stop saying the parts are plastic. they are not, they are CFRP. Now, decide if you want to pay $20k+ to have those parts be shiny.

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is a given that the super car makers' options are exhorbitantly expensive. It applies to all of them. Ultimately, if those options will enhance the performance and /or aesthtetics of the car, most will opt for them. Spending $400K by leaving out the options that are desired or adding another $50K which will enhance the enjoyment of the car becomes an individual decision that I venture most will take grudgingly or not.

Fastmd likes this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very nice garage-ful!

12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Very nice garage and really like all the different makes, models colours - BIG congrats :)

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  13. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe

Wow. Amazing.

I think the most interesting part of your collection (and I don't mean it in an offensive way) is that many of those cars aren't necessarily collector cars that hold value. So how do you have enough time to drive them all?

AtomicPunk88 and GT2goneF like this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very good point... I imagine that these are cars that he just liked and wanted to have, so they hold a special place to him, no matter what anybody else thinks what is worth being a "collectible". I admire that and share this feeling.

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  15. Fastmd

Fastmd Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the positive comments. I purchase cars that I enjoy. I don’t care if they appreciate or depreciate.

I love all makes. I have a few more that are probably frowned upon here (98 NSX-8000 miles, 12K mile Supra Turbo, GTR, 928 GTS Etc)

My incoming 765LT will be my 5th Mclaren, not really good financial decisions, but I enjoy them more than other cars. My Lamborghini STO will be another car, despite all the financial comments, that I hope to enjoy.

I have only owned 3 F Cars, 348, 355, and 458 Speciale. None are considered collector prospects in my eyes. I am torn on buying a F8 or just biting the bullet and buying an F12 TDF.

That Chevelle is a true numbers matching 454 SS, 4 Speed, original other than 1 respray, she has done pretty well from what I purchased it for many years ago, lol. I feel my 675LT will be hold its own in many years to come. I have a 991 GT2 RS that is the greatest fast appliance that I have driven. But, never feels special, just brutally fast and my wife’s favorite, hence why it’s not sold.

My opinion is that the last collectible F car was the F50, and possibly the F12 TDF. Sure some may have gone up in value, but they don’t hold a candle to what has come before.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I just went TDF also, and will do F40 and F50 later.

17. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Boomhauer likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    One has to decide "all or nothing" with CF.

STO in both geo's I purchase is pretty much done in terms of allocations - didn't take all that long - clearly its hit the mark

20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Dang great collection!

Fastmd likes this.
  21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    So some more insight on production times and allocation from a dealer friend who had a virtual call with HQ yesterday.

The STO will be a 2 year production run with some MY22 cars that could be pushed into 2023. The reason why the STO will be more limited than the Performante is 75% of the car itself will consist of carbon fiber which will result in longer production times due to the complexity. This makes sense as to why the allocations are spread out and why there's set slots.

Shack and Fastmd like this.
  22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a 2014 Gallardo Performante Spyder (Edizione Tecnica 1 of 50) - the last of the last for the Gallardo line. I really can't name how many special variants came in the Gallardo platform but it seems like they made a few of them and I suspect they will do the same again. I bought it off a collector that only drove it 700km but I presume I saved about $150k over the list price (COVID special I guess) absolutely love it with the top down, so fun and very analogue (and stiff). My general issue with the gallardo/huracan is the actual driving position and cockpit orientation. Possibly because I am tallish (6'3) I find them a tad hard to really see properly out of (have to sink the seat down all the way etc) and at times a little squished inside. To me the best way to experience a V10 is roof down or with rear glass open, so awesome. My insider says a convertible like variant (possibly less carbon) is coming and some people might switch if timelines extend. Anyhow good luck on STO, I think its a cool car but here in Canada its getting awfully close to an Aventador in pricing (properly optioned) and I heard there are allocations still available.

Boomhauer and ScrappyB like this.
  23. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #748 SLDriver, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    The thing with the Gallardo is it's not known to be a good drivers car and it's not a model that appeals to Lambo collectors which is why demand and prices have remained low for the G. Most collectors I know are looking for unicorns like the G SL 6 speed, the other special editions G's don't appeal to them so it's a hard model to compare with say the Huracan.

There's no STO spyder in the works which was confirmed at the dealer meetings prior to COVID. It would also makes no sense whatsoever to come out with a spyder which would not only be heavier but it would kill the purpose of the STO, a race car for the road. There's a reason why the Perf spyder was produced for a year, the demand wasn't there.

STO pricing is high, it's a concern for a lot of CDN buyers but it's hard to compare the STO to the A, both appeal to different type of buyers. Also, the A's in Canada are overpriced. The A should be in the low 3's, the AV S should be in the $400k range but I predict prices will correct soon because most A's just sit on dealer lots because they're out of warranty, they're dated and overpriced.

And as for allocations, I know Western Canada is sold out for MY21 and Toronto/Montreal is sold out as well. My guess is any available allocation is for MY22.

Fastmd and Shack like this.
  24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    WOW WOW WOW, an excellent and well done collection!

GT2goneF and Fastmd like this.
  25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes for MY 22 and 23.. good points all across I just still heard there is a more tuned version of the EVO spyder coming out.. maybe its not an actual STO. Agree with your point on pricing and do believe this is a super product; Ferrari charged the moon for my Pista so I can see how Lambo wants a huge premium for the STO. I drove a friends Huracan Perf and I found it a tad too artificially predictable and video game like so I really enjoy the analogue nature of the Gallardo. It is crazy stiff and never really bought it for the drive, more for the sound, single clutch, and its angular shape plus all the carbon (real?) and full alcantara interior is so cool! Anyhow as you can see I love my G, its literally the only bull amongst my horses :D. Can't wait to see everyone's STO specs and some reviews from you all.