BB Transmission fluid | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BB Transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Nov 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think any gl5 would affect soft metals but can't comment on the S5 or ENI or Ravenol..although they do say good ferrari / and or what is recommended

My comment above was that i don't believe the TR s have soft metals so not sure if it makes a difference which gear oil we use ... On the other hand for the 360 430 etc with soft metals i would definitely use one of the three we spoke about S5 , ENI or Ravenol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I suppose the Castrol others are using is the Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90? I’m not having any luck finding that one.

The Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS and the Valvoline Syn Power both are “final drive gear” oils and not for transmissions.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand under "final drive gear"?

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mexi: The factory fill for 512 Boxers was AGIP ROTRA MP. This is a GL-5 oil. Mobil 1 is also a GL-5 oil. Mobil 1 is approved for "power transmission" applications. This includes gearboxes that call for GL-5 oils. It does contain LSD additives that may effect synchronizer function. In over 40 years of using GL-5 oils in gearboxes, I have rarely seen any negative effect from using modern GL-5 oils. One exception to this is American 4-speeds from the 1960-80 timeframe. They still benefit from using GL-4 oils. Also the ZF gearboxes and transaxles found in Maserati's and Panteras are designed for GL-4 oils.

mexicruiser likes this.
  5. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The differential Joe

Valvoline specifically states Syn power oil is not adequate for manual transmissions. Mobil and Lucas don’t say “manual transmissions” on the specs final drive gears.

I found Motul 300 LS 75w-90 locally, specs are: GL-5, has LS additive, for use on hypoid gears and manual transmissions. $ 26.5usd per qt.

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess the issue is then mainly having an oil with LS additives that don’t negatively affect synchro function, right?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I ended up asking my indie to put in Spirax s5 vs the S6 .hope that was the right call in the 512tr

I know for the 360 430 etc that is the right call .. actually specified by ferrari but not sure on the TR

All it's life it had mobil 1 75w90 and didn't have an issue ..i will see how oil analysis looks on both

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mexi: You are correct. LSD additives will make the oil more "slippery" and this can "possibly" effect synchronizer action. In my experience, the synthetic oils show less of this effect. With a transaxle, you are trying to balance adequate limited-slip clutch "slippage" with a good grip for the synchros. Also, GL-5 oils can create problems for non-ferrous (generally brass) synchro rings and spacers in some gearboxes and transaxles. The Sulphur in the oil (which provides extra protection for the ring and pinion gears) attacks the brass synchro rings and spacers. So it is always a balancing act in selecting a good oil that will not damage anything while providing a balance of lubrication for all the internal parts.

mexicruiser likes this.
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I want to correct my statement above .. TF 1055 she'll is going in the gearbox ..not sure if the same as S5 (doesn't look like it) but it is the recommended fluid for 599 and up and i would assume it is good for the TR ?