DIYers Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIYers Thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by AandSC, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Did you replace the entire front arms instead of just replacing the bushings in them?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Both new style front and rear forged upper and lower control arms and replaced standard 360 bushings too Factory Challenge flamblocks bushing drelin plastic allot lighter and stronger.

3. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Very few people maintain their cars because they want nothing to do with it. I am the same way with mowing grass and yard work. Hate it. Truth is, I do not even like washing cars so none are very clean but mechanically, all are well maintained. If you enjoy working on cars, you can save a small fortune and therefore own many more cars as previously mentioned.I learned my lesson after paying 10K for TR service many years ago and then realized that dropping the engine it is not much harder than dropping a 911 engine. The key is you must enjoy cranking wrenches and not many owners do. About the money end of it when you sell the car, what you did not pay the dealership, or shop, will more than cover a possible lower sale price because of the lack of dealer stamps in the book. Something else, I do not worship any of my cars or trucks. I drive them.

4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ve had my four post lift for over 16 years and love it. But you have to determine what’s the priority for your lift. For me it was the ability to store two cars in one spot and be able to do maintenance under the car, and I’ve used it extensively for both purposes.

There are a lot more options available now than there was back then though. The negative to the four post lift is you need either bridge jacks or QuickJacks to be able to remove the wheels for suspension/brake/wheel work. I like that the QuickJacks can be used on or off the lift, so it gives me options.

If I had to do it again I would buy the same setup, but your priorities may be different than mine, and you’re fortunate to have a lot of options available.

Hope you’ll let us know which setup you end up with.

Flea7 likes this.
  5. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I actually dread having to work on my 360 it has kick my butt almost every step of the way !!
    I have very very bad dealing with the Ferrari dealership they charge me for work they never did and parts they never replaced.
    Wend they delivered my 360 back to me that night I drove it I heard a very bad grinding noises drove it to local shop front brake pad put on backwards and brake safety wire was broke and the brake light was on !!!
    Invoice shows F1 clutch block replaced cost over nine hundred dollars parts and labor !! It was never replaced !!
    One year later I found out that it had never been replace and had been leaking the whole time.
    They charge me for changing F1 gear box oil wend I drained the oil it was black !!
    I could keep on with other shops over the years but I chose just to wright it off and not let it happen again....

6. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The four post lift is the way to go if simple maintenance and two car storage is more important than doing significant work on the car. A two post asymmetric lifts only disadvantage that I can see is getting the car on the lift having to swing in the arms under car. After that, nothing but disadvantages. 2 more posts in the way, ramps are in the way, inability to easily remove tires, suspension, etc, etc. As for two car storage, lift the first car and drive the other under the same way you would with the 4 post lift. Obviously I have a two post lift and would not trade it for a 4 post. If I did it again, I would have both a two and 4 post lift and could store 4 cars in the workshop/garage. No doubt it in my mind that two post is superior if you are limited to just one lift. I think those of you with a 4 post would agree if you were able to work under a two post lift.

7. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Randy, I’ve been really impressed by the work you’ve done on your car! All top notch. Your stories above are why I do my own maintenance. I’m watching your suspension work so I’m ready when I get to that point.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Any way I can help let me know !!
    The only only reason why I post as much as I have hopefully keep some one else from from being RIPPED OFF !!
    I am sure there are tons of shops that take pride in there work I just have not found any around me .

colorfull and AandSC like this.
  9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    3k on a 2 post lift was the best money I ever spent on maintenance for my manual 430. I do everything except every 3 years it goes to our sole main dealer for E-diff fluid change/bleed, brake fluid and coolant change. I should do those things too as main dealer has gotten things wrong. Overfilled E-diff fluid (mess) and fried my CSTCU in my old 360 somehow while they had it so I had to go back to the sluggish original. Apart from scheduled maintenance, in 4 years I've done;
    Header replacements.
    Made my own expanding exhaust brackets.
    Fixed door lock.
    Shifter bush replacement.
    Firmed up steering by adjusting backlash in rack.
    Replaced fuel pump.
    Fixed wobbly door mirrors.
    I keep a detailed book of every service and repair. If a future prospective owner doesn't like it, too bad for them. I will have to be pretty old before I sell anyway.

10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Wow, some awesome pics in this thread! I have two four post lifts and as mentioned above there are some limitations. I bought a nice rolling jack and it’s very easy now to get wheels off the ramps. One nice thing about the four post is that you can actually move them around if you need to and they are very very stable without having to worry about anchors in the concrete etc. Also one thing to consider with the two post is that they are not great for storage because I understand it’s not good for the suspension to hang extended for long periods of time.

AandSC likes this.
  11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    This is a great thread!
    I have a 4 post Bendpak. I'm set up like Allen with quickjack to work on suspension and tires. I upgraded my compressor and got it delivered today!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    This is my new favorite thread.
    I'm afraid I don't track all of the little things I do to it, as to me, they just come with the car.
    I WILL track each annual maintenance "by the book" so any future owner can have whatever it is that brings them.
    I wrench on mine because I've yet to find anyone else who cares as much about my car as I do. They may be factory-trained, but I am more qualified when it's MY car.... simply because I am invested in the quality of the repair or maintenance.

colorfull, one4torque, AandSC and 2 others like this.
  13. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
  14. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen

Attached Files:

15. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Wow! Just wow! You sure got the look of a Ferrari workshop! I'm drooling looking at your set-up.

AandSC likes this.
  16. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I couldn't imagine paying someone else to do the work after half of the things I have seen wrong on my car and other people's cars. While I may not have as much experience as a dealership with F cars, I know that I put much more time and care into it.

To date I have done:
    -2 timing belt jobs
    -New timing tensioners
    -Complete headlight rebuild
    -Making my own headlight level adjusters
    -Converting headlights to LED
    -Transmission mount
    -Serpentine and accessory belts
    -Heat exchanger
    -Intake gaskets
    -Cam cover gaskets
    -Valve cover gaskets
    -Spark plugs
    -Oil, Ps, gearbox, coolant and F1 fluid changes
    -Power steering resevoir replacement
    -Complete strip and rebuild of the custom 3 piece wheels it came with
    -I feel like I am missing quite a bit.

Currently working on installing headers, engine mounts, and a Cs tcu. After that I'll be finishing off the exhaust and getting a tune. Then it's either onto the interior or the body. I still have a long way to go to get it how I want.

17. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Loving this thread! Like everyone else, wrenching on my 07 F430 has made ownership possible and more enjoyable! The cost of what I have done would have been many times what I spent if I had to have a shop do the work. Just one broken coolant line under the intake manifold cost me over $2500 from the local shop.

In my year of ownership, I have been getting things to a "known" state and installed some new toys:

- Oil,Coolant,Brake fluids
    - Gear Oil
    - New serpentine belt and tensioner
    - New head unit and full Scuderia Audio system
    - Installed headers/blankets
    - motor mounts
    - F1 Accumulator
    - F1 Actuator bleed screws tightened/fluid flush
    - Scuding Swiss F1 Relay
    - Scuding Swiss Turn Signal TCU
    - x-pipe install
    - PIS adjustments
    - Tail light reinforcement/repair
    - Exhaust controller
    - door latch striker replacements
    - some new carbon fiber bits inside
    - clean up sticky buttons
    - dash cam hardwire

I still am trying to track down a high-RPM squeal and think I will have to look at replacing some suspension components this year. Also should probably look at flushing the power steering fluid.

colorfull, armedferret and AandSC like this.
  18. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Where do you source the LED taillights?

19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    #44 clean512, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    More of a guy that just builds cool things. At 39 and been around cars my whole life. Auto body technician by trade and with trade schools to go with. But like any thing you can have all the school smarts and still be dumb as a door knob. I have allways had the passion to learn more and better. I have never said I know it all. I want to know more. How how you did that . I just love to learn more. Some small things I have done but my list or resume for a private car collector is pretty long. The 66 mustang is my wife's that I did the body and paint and built the motor. Yes gaped the rings and all. Extivense work on early rolls royce clouds and actually doing the body and paint on my father's 63 cloud III . Building my old yamaha blaster that I got when I was 9 and now me and my son are Building better than new. Love it all. Do it for the love of cars Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
  21. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    mathewr, I bought mine from Scud Ing Swiss. I also bought their replacement taillights as mine were cracking. A bit pricey but I thought it was an important update to avoid issues in the future. I put the reinforcement kit on my old taillights and boxed them up so I can have the “originals” in the future.

22. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    clean512, awesome work on the Mustang and Rolls! Really nice! Great that you’re doing projects with your son too!

I consider myself to be really good with mechanical and electrical work but I cannot do bodywork or paint.

clean512 likes this.
  23. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I feel very well rounded on all departments but have a small eye for the body and paint. I have painted maybe 9 complete cars and ton of small things but will never call my self a painter.

24. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    It's time for my annual next month. I've been accumulating all of the required items over the past several months and thought I would sit down and plan out my service so I can be more efficient. Here's my plan:

Charge and Update Launch
    Drive car to get temp up
    Put car on lift
    Turn off car with wipers up
    Replace Wiper Blades
    Perform Clutch Relearn
    Take Clutch Life Remaining Percentage
    Insert Quickjacks
    Raise Lift
    Remove Bottom Panels (Front/Rear/Diffuser)
    Drain Engine Oil Small Drain Plug
    Reinstall Small Drain Plug w/new Crush Gasket
    Drain Engine Oil Large Drain Plug
    Loosen Wheel Bolts
    Reinstall Large Engine Oil Drain Plug w/new Crush Gasket
    Remove Engine Oil Filter and Reinstall New Filter
    Loosen Gearbox Oil Fill Plug
    Drain Gearbox Oil
    R&R Gearbox Filter Screen
    Reinstall Lower Gearbox Oil Drain Plug w/new Crush Gasket 10263460
    Lower Lift
    Fill Gearbox Oil Redline 75W90 NS 3.5 Liters
    Reinstall Gearbox Fill Plug w/new Crush Gasket 10263460
    Remove Rear Right Engine Panel
    Remove F1 Fluid Reservoir Cover and Fill to top Tutela CS Speed 75W
    Bleed Lower Clutch Bleed Valve
    Bleed eDiff
    Bleed Upper F1 Bleed Block
    Service to ~3/4 full
    Fill Engine Oil Pennzoil Ultra Euro (5W-40) 8.5 liters/1 liter
    Check Motor Mounts
    Check Variator Connectors for Oil
    Remove Coolant Reservoir Cap
    Place Larger Quickjack Pad on Rear and Raise Slightly
    Drain Coolant from Radiators
    Blow Compressed Air into Coolant Reservoir
    Tighten Coolant Drain Plugs
    Lower Quickjacks and Put Smaller Pad on Rear
    Fill Coolant Reservoir Zerex G48 - Mix 50/50 Distilled Water ~11 Liters
    Replace Pollen Filter
    Raise Quickjacks
    Remove Wheels
    Reinstall New Wheel Guides
    Bleed Brakes Motul RBF660
    Clean Inside Wheels and Ceramic Wax
    Clean Suspension and Wheel Liners
    Reinstall Wheels
    Lower Quickjacks and Torque Wheels
    Start Engine, look for leaks, check fluid levels
    Replace Undertrays and Rear Diffuser
    Replace Sticky Mannetino Label
    Check F1 fluid level after sitting overnight
    Replace Right Rear Engine Panel
    Perform FCF

I'm not planning to replace the engine oil screen or power steering fluid this time since those were replaced last year. I'm doing those on an every other year basis.

My 430 has required no service or repairs since my last annual....knock on wood that the next year will be the same. About 1,000 miles driven over the past year.

This might be helpful to others that want to do their own services and I'm open to any recommendations for anything I've missed.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Great thread! I find I get along with DIY enthusiasts the best.

I find I bond with my cars better by doing the service/work myself, plus as mentioned (particularly with this marque) you save big $$.
    I also found you can spend big retail $$ and still get terrible service, broken bits, and unfinished work.

I kick myself everytime I get one of our cars worked on (out of convenience) at a shop..... only to find half the fasteners missing, or factory mounts, straps, brackets cut or broken. No one cares about your car like you do... plus I don't have a shop mgr breathing down my neck to finish under book time.

I have found the 360 to be particularly easy to service.... once you pull the rear bumper, under body tray.... it's like working on an engine on a cradle.
    I just put my 360 on jackstands.... and have no issues doing my recent annual, mm's, headers, brakes, etc.....

Just replaced a water pump that was installed by a shop 3 yrs ago that leaked ever since it was replaced.......

Also my exp with some shops... they will leave your car out in the elements during service..... and sometimes it takes weeks to get your car back..... whilst out in the heat.... the old 360 interior melts... and you get stickies....

I keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet with a screen shot of the service manual schedule..... I fill in mlg/date and work done on the giant spreadsheet.
    I also plot mlg/time/svc on some graphs for whomever the next owner will be...... someday.... hopefully after I'm gone. ;)

I could not keep my 360 running without a few key resources:
    * this place! you guys!
    * a few shops that were patient with my f car newb questions......
    * the fabulous competitive internet parts network.... new and used.......
    * Aldus Voice .... voicey....
    * Rata-rossa.... his diy are the best.

Oh and here's one for you...... my ac comp has an oil weep on the body...... new $2550 for the part..... $350-550 used........ come to find out this is a delphi V5 compressor.... very common in gm products....... you can have this rebuilt for 250-500...... I bought a used compressor from a wreck.... going to have it rebuilt for my next annual..... IF this compressor goes out.... it still works fine.

colorfull, armedferret and AandSC like this.