F430 slow downshifts | FerrariChat

F430 slow downshifts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by firewire, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    I bought a 2007 F430 with F1 transmission recently and noticed the downshift is kinda slow even on race setting. For example, lets say if I am on 3rd (4000 rpm) and I downshift to 2nd, it happens slowly as if there is some lag. The rpm drops to idle for like a sec before it rev matches and select 2nd gear. This happens on all gears.

I've watched many youtube videos of F430 and notice whenever they downshift, the rev match happens almost immediately. I also notice that if I keep my foot on the gas while I downshift its fine. Only happens when my foot is off the gas or while braking and coming to a stop. Any idea whats wrong? My car has 16000 miles on, clutch is good, no other problems. Thanks

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have experienced the same type issue as I drive many cars on the service end. While it is not "broken" and does not have faults, it is interesting.
    My personal opinion is that the TCU learns bad habits. I did have a 360 that was just lazy all the time. After a new clutch, which it needed and was in the shop for, it still was just lazy in its actions. While the customer had never complained about the lazy action, I was concerned. The only thing that helped was when I swapped the TCU for one out of a car that was crisp. That made all the difference. I really think the TCU just learns to operate slower because that is all it has had to do.
    I haven't had a chance to try any teach one to wake up and not be lazy. It may work if you just drive it aggressively and help it learn a new way.
    keep us updated in what you learn. I think this is going to be an ongoing issue as these cars get older. Just keeping the electronics crisp and healthy.

SpencerMarks and tbakowsky like this.
  3. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think most likely it could be a bad TCU from the previous owner since everything else is working. I'll try to get my hands on a TCU from another F430 and try it. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Will update progress.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Make sure you swap it with the correct unit. Early 2007 430 had the 231 ecu, while later cars had the 301. If you swap a 231 into a 301, it will shift like poop. The numbers should be on a sticker on the ecu's.

5. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Okay, I'll make sure if that. Thanks again.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

6. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Update

So I had a leak. Sent it to ferrari and they told me the transmission oil seal is causing the leak. Replaced it, labour cost the same as replacing the clutch as they need to open the transmission. They advice me to change the clutch which I did.

Now my shifts are much quicker.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

um.... what is transmission oil seal ? Any part number or picture to identify it?

I may not be an expert, but gearbox oil leak resulting in slow gearshift is a little weird to me

8. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    No the leak did not caused the slow shifts. It was my clutch, because after changing it, the car shifts quicker.

They had to open the transmission to change the oil seal (cheap part) and the service advisor suggested that I changed the clutch since the transmission is already out.

9. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I’m finding this thread as my car does the same exact thing. Have had it for around 6 month. Clutch life is fine and no problems, but doesn’t blip the throttle. Would you think finding a new TCU would do the trick, not sure how I could make it “re-learn” downshifting unless Mase Engineering or another guy who tunes could Come up with something.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Slow downshifts can be caused by fiddling with the clutch configuration numbers and p.i.s settings.

This fiddling is usually done to make up false clutch wear readings so the car looks like it has a healthy clutch. I have caught dealers doing this a number of times.

If everything is correct.. then more then likely your car will need a TCU to correct the issue. But you must take it too a shop that knows what they are doing before going down the TCU road.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  11. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If TCU/Software issue consider AV Engineering/Trev360. He has done amazing work with 360/430 ECUs and TCUs.

12. mahlerfree

mahlerfree Karting

Dec 19, 2019
    not aware that they did something to 430 tcu. updates?

13. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Do a battery disconnect to let it go back to factory settings, see if that works