Rosso Scuderia mystery | FerrariChat

Rosso Scuderia mystery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Apr 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #1 Randyslovis, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    My buddy recently traded his R. scuderia Italia in on a Speciale. The Speciale was also done in R. scuderia. The Speciale just arrived and he thought the reds were slightly different. He thought the Speciale was darker than his Italia. I thought different interior color and wheel color combined with NART livery were playing tricks on his eyes. Looking under the trunk however shows that the PPG paint codes are in fact different. The Italia had code 323 and Speciale 523. Both say Rosso scuderia. I know my Rosso corsa car has a paint code that is different from another Rosso corso that the factory also supplies. Understandably I therefore know same "name" can still not be same actual color.
    I would be curious if any Italia or Speciale owners would look under the hood of the cars and tell me what year of car they have and what paint code is specified. I am wondering if Speciale gets different R. scuderia in general, if NART livery changes which R. scuderia is used, or if for model year '15 Ferrari changed "formula" of paint they call R. Scuderia.
    I truly appreciate everyone's time in this seemingly silly/esoteric adventure of mine.
    Best
    Randy

2. Alizzi

Alizzi Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I applaud your friend for being part of the elite group of Rosso Scuderia club... When I'm a bit older and buy my own, hopefully I can get Rosso Scuderia! No one gets it and oh my, ROSSO CORSA IS SO CLICHE (Even though it looks amazing, but still :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I saw a scud and corsa Speciale next to each other a few weeks ago (both new)...damn, I loved scud color more in the Speciale.

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #4 720, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting. Just to further add to the mystery I noticed in the owner's manual they show a sample of a sticker containing information on the original paint. The sticker in the owner's manual happens to show Rosso Scuderia and a paint code 323.

My Speciale (Rosso Scuderia with NART stripe) should arrive at my dealer by the end of the month. I'll check the paint code :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Thanks so much for looking and posting post delivery.
    Another buddy with R. scuderia Speciale delivered in March has sticker with NO paint code, just name. All so odd.
    Typical Ferrari!
    Randy

6. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Yep no number code just description....

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    my old scuddy is Rosso Scuderia but when I opened the hood to check out the paint code is Rosso corsa. somebody in the paint department might drink to much italian wine when they put the stickers on

LVP488 and Makuono like this.
  9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    If someone at McLaren did this they would be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. LOL

10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

Rofl lay off the chianti Antonio.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #11 PhilNotHill, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Friend ordered his Italia in RS in 2012. Said that he was the first for that color Italia in Denver. He used to have a 360 in RC. Now he calls my RC 458 Spider "dull red." :D

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll bet the difference may be due to Zanasi being contracted by Ferrari to paint the out of range colors and Speciale paint that the factory robots don't do.

13. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    R. scuderia is a standard color. It is done in house and there is no up charge for it.
    Additionally, I don't know if you have ever used one of the free lance touch up guys for any of your cars, but paint codes now allow perfect matches. I have had Mercedes metallic white as well as my R. corsa car "touched-up" from careless people walking by to road rash and repairs cannot be found in any light/condition. So, unlikely even if painted by a third party for colors not to match. No, it clearly states different red used on Speciale vs. coupe. (Code 323 vs 523) Only question is as I originally asked: model year change, Speciale specific, or dependent on NART stripe for R. scuderia to be different?
    Thanks for thoughts.
    Best
    Randy

14. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Rosso Scud on speciale is a different paint code than regular itialia? if so, what is code?

15. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 2009 F430 paint code: ROSSO SCUDERIA FER. 323

16. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The have changed the RS color across time - it's become more orange in the last 25 years.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure about that, IIRC some of the first Challenge Stradale were painted RS and it was very orange.

18. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    IIRC, Rosso Scuderia was developed as Rosso Corsa looked "wrong on TV" as darker than it should. Through testing Rosso Scuderia looked like Rosso Corsa on TV. Rosso Scuderia is the color the F1 cars run for this reason.

Mikael-F360 and docster like this.
  19. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I tried to find the source where I read this but couldn't. What I recall from it was that the F1 team started making the Scuderia color more orange in the early 2000's and that's the same Rosso Scuderia 323 color that we see from the 360's on. Originally like Velocity said they moved to the Rosso Scuderia because the Corsa didn't look right on color TV. Funny how TV changed things - didn't Bruce Mclaren choose Orange because it was slightly different hue when they still did Black and White broadcasts?

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Interestingly my ‘15 RC Speciale looks like a deeper red when right next to my friend’s ‘15 RC 458 Spider.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RS Stradale and RC 458s. In the light they are very different. Honestly after many RC cars I now greatly prefer RS.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Much as I like this RS example, still like your Argento one better. :)

24. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida