See America...but in what car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

See America...but in what car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitterinflation4, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just did a transcontinental (and back) trip in my 612. Personally, I would recommend a 550 or 612 for that trip. There was a manual 456M that just sold on BaT that would be perfect as well. The 612 is a little limited on trunk space, but you do have the back seat for extra stuff, and it's not that limited. I would probably avoid a 456GT or earlier, personally. An FF would be great as well, but go with what you like.

Get one with some miles on it. I put almost 7000 miles on my car in just over 2 weeks.

Personally, there is no way I would take an SUV, even a Bentley-badged VW. If you are going in the winter and really feel that you need lots of room, get a Mercedes E63 wagon. Or even an E450. You want to be able to make the most of the day in Montana!

2. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    +1 But does the fact that we know this mean that we're getting old?

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, but everyone else is too.

pilotoCS likes this.
  4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I'm going to do CA to FL and back next month in the 550, but I might take the 612. Can't decide.

white out likes this.
  6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think either one would be fine.

My one suggestion would be to make sure you have new (or fairly new) tires. There is a LOT of construction out there, and a surprising amount of rough roads. I'm amazed I-90 through Chicago didn't cause me any serious issues, because it was rough.

m5shiv likes this.
  7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    If I was shopping new Ferrari I'd go Lusso.

Comfort in non-Ferrari: 911 Turbo/TurboS; Panamera GTS/Turbo; DB11; Vantage; Rapide; Charger Hellcat; 570GT/GT; Brooklands; XKR; S65.

If comfort is second hand to the driving experience: GT3 (any of them); 991.2 GTS; C6/7 ZR1; Gallardo/Huracan/R8; 458; NSX; 570S/650S/720S.

If comfort is out the window: Viper; vintage anything; C6 Z06; GT350/R/500; Speciale; ZL1.

Personally, I want a single trip to log some serious miles on my 575M as it's a great GT car that doesn't have the tech of modern stuff.

donv likes this.
  8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have a '60 (with hard top) and have had thoughts of driving it cross-country. But ********, that would be taxing after a few days . . . and I recently sold my track-prepped GEN2 Viper daily driver of 5 years.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree. It’s claustrophobic with the hard top in place.

“Taxing” is a good word. Look closer at my rear suspension. No leaf springs. It’s modern at all four corners, including coil-overs, disc brakes, and a power steering rack-and-pinion. And a 350 with a 5-speed, and a Ford 9” rear.

The beauty is that any shade tree mechanic can replace or repair any part on the car. I can drive across the USA in my Chevrolet, enjoy the drive, and know I won’t get stuck!

Matt

white out likes this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IMO the goal is to focus on the trip. A muscle car corvette or Ferrari would be awesome for about 300miles. Of all the vehicles I have owned including ferraris I buy a $x4 Chevy suburban or the gmc or caddy version of it. I would want comfort. I love those big seats and arm rest great A/C system (2 of them). There is so much space you do not have to pack your suburban just throw everything behind the front seats...there's room. 9ft flyrods can go inside fully assembled. Bikes can hang off the back hitch. Skis can go inside or on top. You need more stuff you can put 2 huge torpedos on the roof. You can bring your canoe with you. If you find an antique table along the way buy it. You can put 4x8 ft sheets of plywood back there if you remove the 3rd seat (I'd leave that at home). Oh and someone can fix it in every town in America and get parts.

Davesvt2000 and tomc like this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My real vote would be for my daily driver, an AMG E53. It’s fast. It has room, including massage seats. The top rises and lowers at speeds under 30-something mph. It has a seat warmer, neck warmer, and seat ventilation. It has all-wheel-drive. Satellite radio. And great parking cameras and sensors for city work.

It would handle desert, Great Plains, curvy mountains, snow, sudden rain, and an open top whenever you want.

(It’s a lot better than the school bus. Unless you prefer air brakes.)

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    300 miles ? I did a 729 mile stint with only fuel stops from Scottsdale to San Jose in the 612 and it was a piece of cake !

amenasce and donv like this.
  13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I don't think a six banger can ever be a truly enjoyable continental cruiser. Now, an S65 or CL65 is a very different matter if you want to take a Benz...two wheel drive notwithstanding.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Ha! If an E53 is inadequate, try driving an MG TD.

The AMG 6-cylinder has plenty of power. And AWD.

Matt

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I did that for five days in a row in my 612, and it was great. Comfortable heated seats, cruise control, XM radio or bluetooth (nice to mix things up a bit), and really, when you cross Montana you want to be able to cruise at least at 120, with higher bursts when appropriate.

m5shiv likes this.
  16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My road dawg is a Porsche Cayenne turbo diesel. 30 MPG at 90 MPH.

zygomatic and tomc like this.
  17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dont do it in a boring car or SUV.

Pick a car that is fun to drive. You guys are doing it for fun with no deadline to meet. Driving an SUV or even a BMW or Merc sedan is fine if you have family with you. But you and your dad will have much more memories with a special car (if you like to drive that is..).

pearsonhaus and donv like this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A C8 would work,
    But my experience on long road trips is you want somthing to park anywhere and not worry about, also most roads are big. Something that can go off the beaten track.
    A Jeep trackhawk, or a challenger, thye fit in anywhere are durable have lots of space and are fun to drive.
    If its a ferrari a lusso works.

19. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Fun thread.

My pick would be an Audi RQ8. All the cool cars are fun for the first day, maybe two. But for serious road warrior stuff you need comfort, room and the capability to go mildly off-road if you want to drive 60 miles down a dirt road to the rim of the Grand Canyon, etc, or explore one of the terrific fireroads that cut in and out of the mountain streams in the Smokies. 591 hp will keep you from getting bored and there are Audi dealers everywhere across the country.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/models/q8/rsq8/2021/overview.html

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The only place I worried about parking my 612 was in downtown Cleveland, and I made sure to get a hotel with a parking garage. Out at the Hampton Inn in the middle of nowhere? Not an issue. And honestly, even downtown Cleveland wouldn't have been an issue, I just wasn't that familiar with the area.

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    How wonderful that you can do that with your dad! I so envy you.....

Well, you said you wanted to take your journey in style. I don't see that in a pickup truck or and SUV. Not that there are not really nice trucks and SUV's, I just don't see them as style or cool. Perhaps that is because there are so many of them, at least in my area.

F12/812 - I think would be fantastic. However, the space limitations for a long journey make it not really doable, I think. But, if you can make it work!!

LC500 - I love the car. I am giving thought to buying one. Really beautiful car, great quality and reliability. If you can make the luggage space work, go for it.

Bentley GTC - Style, class, room and comfort. Beautiful automobile. This could be your most comfortable choice.

Dad's kick - I love it! Your dad clearly wants to have a unique journey. I have actually driven from the south to the west coast and back in a '70's Cadillac. Wonderful experience. Some of the old muscle cars could serve you well with plenty of room and some are comfortable enough. Reliability, of course, could be an issue.
    Most sports cars are very limited on luggage space as you likely know. However, they are such a cool, fun way to travel. The last few generations of the base Corvette actually ride much better than might be expected. Luggage space may be questionable though. Fuel economy on the those cars are unbelievable for the performance.

I lost my dad at an fairly young age. If I had the opportunity that you have I would certainly try to make it as memorable for him as possible. Whatever he wanted to travel in would be fine. Wishing y'all a safe journey. What memories you should have. Again, I envy you.....

tomc likes this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I bought this car for that exact purpose. I was going to drive it back across country but Covid stopped my plans temporarily.

Eventually I want to pick a spot on a map, hit American roads, and see the sights.

When my dad was alive we took several car trips together. Great memories of us going from Phoenix to LA together and seeing the Dodgers play. We also did Phoenix to Seattle when I moved there. The two of use together with everything I owned -- in a 1974 Alfa Spider.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and Pawilly like this.
  23. ilCapo

ilCapo Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2020
    Italy, Canada, the Cayman Islands
    Full Name:
    Frank Schilling
    Rolls phantom DHC
    Bentley Bentayga W12
    Ferrari 812 GTS
    2021 Escalade ESV sport platinum with super cruise
    (And if you can afford the stretch and have a support vehicle) 2018-2021 Bugatti Chiron

... I’ve done 3000 mile road trips in all these except the Esky and GTS (which are new) and they are hands down the best for fellow driver respect/interaction, memorability and all-round experience. Regardless of the vehicle you choose, you should definitely follow through and take this trip… A long distance drive across the country is a life-changing experience, obtainable by nearly everyone, yet very few people choose to follow through and take the opportunity.

donv likes this.
  24. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #50 VGM911, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Given the challenge as stated, I'd start with what are the must haves. To wit, I'd look for good performance relative to:

Comfort - (e.g., good supportive/comfortable seats, NVH, HVAC, etc.)
    Safety - (how well are the driver and front passenger protected)
    Reliability - (AAA membership card just in case, or equivalent)
    Service availability - (this would eliminate most exotics for me)
    Performance dynamics - (braking, cornering, acceleration; fun to drive)
    Storage - (for luggage/food and the all-important stuff you'll buy along the way)
    Large rather than small gas tank
    Doesn't attract attention of vandals, car thieves, or highway patrol
    (again, this would eliminate most exotics for me)

In the old days, I might have chosen a Citroen or Peugeot just to make the trip interesting...and challenging.

Based on today's choices, however, a new Toyota Avalon, would actually tick a lot of the above boxes for a car that you're going to have to live with for many, many days.

But in the final analysis, I'd probably choose an Audi S5 Sportback.