is this car a KM car or Miles car? | FerrariChat

is this car a KM car or Miles car?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Tarek307, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Guys a few months ago i was pretty hot on this 550, seemed like a great deal, the seller told me it was a Euro Car and that the gauge was in KM not Miles / it reads 60K which he says is actually 37K also carfax says 60K miles not KM / I did some more looking into it just for peace of mind, and the gauge on the car looks like its a MILES not a KM gauge ..so yes its a Euro car, but looks like it was outfitted with a USA MILES gauage when it got federalized, or of course i could be wrong and its in KM not miles..what do you guys think?

I talked to the dealer about this but he told me i'm wrong...so again i maybe wrong, i'm no 550 expert

dealer says

"Gauges are all functional, including the odometer, which reads in kilometers. 60k km, or 37k miles, is accurate based on service records, known history, and observable wear"

Here is a pic of the gauge in the car, looks like a MPH gauge to me. I checked what Euro KM gauges look like and its different. i've also included a pic of what a KM gauge looks like, so it seems to me the one in the car is Miles..no?

and here is the link to the car, its been for sale for quite a while, and looks good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324402209824

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    It's in MPH/miles. On that gauge, you can see KM/kilometers in yellow.

3. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    exactly, so this is a 60K MILE car not a 37K mile car...big freaking difference there..dealer wouldn't even listen to me when i told him about this

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yes. You are correct. The odometer on the US speedo, which this is, records miles. The speedo would have been changed when it was imported to the US, meaning you also don't know how many miles/KM were on the car before the speedo change unless there are records for that, so true mileage could be even higher than 60K miles.

While it's possible that a sticker could have been placed on the original speedo to alter the face but not the odo, I've never seen that on one of these Ferraris. The entire speedo unit is just replaced. It is, obviously, very easy to prove as well what the odo is calibrated as; just drive for a bit.

(Interestingly enough, if this was a Lamborghini from the mid-80s to 90s (think late US Countach, Diablo, etc.), the US speedometer read in MPH around the dial, but the odometer was in KM.)

F456M, Themaven and Tarek307 like this.
  5. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Agree looks like 60k miles (+) to me... The documents shown in the listing should give an audit trail to enable you to unpick the mileage history.

Presumably, when the gauge was changed the prior mileage was logged.

Trying to think of any LHD / miles markets .. Euro car imported into UK then shipped to US ...? Again docs should decipher if you're still interested

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had actually also been watching that car and thought the $99k ask was a "pie in the sky" given all the questions surrounding it. Even it was 37k miles that still "driver" let alone 60k+

I recall another different car semi-recently where the car went to Canada for awhile and then had the gauges changed and then changed back when the car came back to the states and under those even weirder scenarios, a full PPI would be wanted and even then shouldn't either that car or this car set the absolute bottom of the price range for a 550?

Plus don't forget if you are in California this car, if federalized wont matter, you would likely still need to register it out of state (posting said it was in CA for 7 years but want to bet it was under a different state registration)..... even with cats, unless it has the CARB certification sticker this would be tough.

Lots of reasons this one has been available for so long. Same story on the black 2002 575 that's available in SoCal (129726).....so many questions with that car as well.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Best test is to drive a mile with the car to confirm.
    Actually drive 2 miles it’s 3.2 km. Pretty easy but dealer won’t do it I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc_Dent and F11 like this.
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed. Not only could the mileage be a lot higher than indicated, let alone the mileage the vendor claims, but the dealer is clearly a snake-oil salesman. Walk.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Plus are people in the market so wealthy that seldom people are doing PPI’s?

I got snakebit the last time I bought a car sight unseen without a PPI....I have been lucky many times (but last time I got the privilege of doing a 5-figure DART 427 rebuild) but for what to me is a material amount of money on a 550/575, I would assume guys are doing PPI’s to protect themselves?

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The digits shall always match up perfectly straight. When looking at this odo, it is obvious that someone have taken it apart and not got it right back together. The condition of the car is the main thing. But If it is questionable matters even if it actually is in great shape, it will make the price go down...

MartinPO likes this.
  11. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Didn't you and I talk about this gauge ?

Tarek307 likes this.
  12. MartinPO

MartinPO Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 28, 2016
    Port Orange FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Clark
    Agreed, that's the first thing I noticed, the first 6 should be straight the last six should only be off center if about to change to 7.

fridolin_pt and F456M like this.
  13. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Good point!

14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    yup thats the one!

15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I am still baffled that this dealer hasn't even tried to listen to my point about this being a 60K plus mile car and not a euro car with 60K kilometers ..if the car is sold to someone this will be a huge liability on the dealer..i don't get it

If we are all mistaken about the odometer which clearly appears to be in Miles, he should at least explain a bit more why it appears that way, i mean maybe it is KM somehow..the car looks good, and even at 60K miles if someone went in buying it knowing this it wouldn't be an issue.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    How would the dealer be liable (caveat emptor)? There is so much dumb money out there buying cars without full due diligence and/or PPI's its ridiculous and this seller is likely just hoping for a knuckehead catfish. Not surprising.