This is getting annoying. | FerrariChat

This is getting annoying.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Maine57S1, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    I swear every time i take this car out i get some **** riding my ass and/or trying to race? Is it just me or are these things a magnet for *******s?! I had an F150 of all things riding my bumper today. Dropped it in 3rd and left him in the dust but sure enough a few minutes later he is back right on my tail.

Not my first fast or flashy car but first Ferrari and never experienced this as frequently... Is this the norm?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No, not the norm.
    Where do you live??
    Sure, on occasion you get someone just playing around, but I have never had a tailgater.
    Definitely have my concealed carry just in case.

whatheheck, RANDY6005 and kes7u like this.
  3. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    I live in Maine. Must be too many bored teenagers that have never seen one of these before.

E60 M5 likes this.
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Is it red? Red definitely attracts attention. We have a black car and run under the radar.

5. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    not red. TDF blue. Just had a chat with my neighbor who drives a DB11 his is black. Doesnt happen to him either. His theory is its the out of state license plate. Locals dont much care for folks "from away" especially in a flashy car when alot of folks around here are struggling.

dbdreams and Caphill like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seems like F150's are always going slow when they're in front of me, but fast when they're behind me!o_O

energy88, one4torque, NMNMNMN and 4 others like this.
  7. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    I had this on more than one occasion with my black 308. One of the times, it was indeed a Ford pickup. I live in Michigan and this was on a backroad.

Maine57S1 likes this.
  8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have found both positives and negatives with respect to driving on rural roads. On the positive side, there is certainly less traffic. On the negative side, being in a remote location can make you more vulnerable to someone who is either envious or doesn't believe you belong there. I usually go down major roads but in areas that are not heavily traveled. Have had a couple of incidents where other drivers get close but they are either trying to take a photo of my car, or hoping I will race them.

Red 27 and Maine57S1 like this.
  9. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    so its not just me!!

alex likes this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Your car sounds like a beauty...

Maine57S1 likes this.
  11. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    thank you.. im certainly in love with it.

12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seriously, in these COVID times we all have to think carefully about our actions. In mid March 2020 I brought our Cali home from winter storage. This was on the very day that Illinois announced the lockdown. Even though we had some nice days, and also still had winter tires on the car, I didn't feel comfortable driving until May 1st. Many people have lost jobs or are working from home, and actually traffic around us has increased. There are probably a handful of people who might want to cause trouble. You certainly want to avoid it!

13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A suggestion for next Spring: is there an FCA group in your area, or at least a sportscar club? It's a lot more fun to drive in a group, and you also have protection in numbers. Unfortunately, many sanctioned drives and events were cancelled due to COVID. Hopefully 2021 will see these come available again. In the meantime, welcome to the family! Post some pics when you get a chance.

14. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 Maine57S1, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Its a very small town and most days i drive an old pickup truck myself. I think once people get used to seeing the car around it will stop being an issue. I was just curious if other folks had similar experiences.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pearsonhaus, crinoid, Red 27 and 2 others like this.
  15. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    BEAUTIFUL!

Maine57S1 and jcurry like this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would estimate that 90% of the 20+K miles I have put on my Cali are driving out in the country. And this phenomenon is pretty rare in my experience. From time to time, I'll get an overenthusiastic pickup truck trying to keep up, or race, but in those cases I'll slow down and pull over. Or, if prudent, I'm happy to give them a quick demonstration of the difference between being fast in the curves and being fast on the straightaways.

However, it's largely been chill & positive with a minimum # of knuckleheads. Now that the Cali is stealth-ified - covered shields, low key color, titanium wheel caps and a black cavallino in front - very few people seem to recognize it as a Ferrari!

T

Red 27 likes this.
  17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Tom, some owners want to be recognized, and some don't!:)I'm happy that someone has to get close before they recognize the car. I really was not happy with the yellow shields, but then my wife pointed out to me that it makes us more visible to other drivers in the dark. That's a good point!

Red 27 likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If they're close enough to see your shields, they're too close!
    T

alex likes this.
  19. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    Interesting. I live in Maine, too, and often have idiots tailgating me. My car is a Pozzi 360 Modena. While it isn't red, a 360 is pretty recognizable as a Ferrari. They'll follow for miles, as if they have nothing else to do all day. My thinking is that Ferraris are so rare in Maine that they immediately attract all sorts of unwanted attention. The same car in LA would be looked down upon.

Maine57S1 likes this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pozzi is a pretty low key color I would have thought. The low slung mid engine V8 Ferrari, though, probably is hard to miss. Intriguing...T

21. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed. I lived in LA for 20 years and no one would look twice at an old Ferrari in that town.

22. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just a "beater", right? LOL

Maine57S1 likes this.
  23. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    without question a 360 is a beater there. Bugattis, Paganis, etc barely turn heads.

24. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Here in the Midwest, the reaction would be "wow, look at that Ferrari!"

Maine57S1 likes this.
  25. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I generally get this when I'm on the highway in the Ferrari, mine is red. The other day I was driving in NJ merging onto RT 78 from the garden state parkway and some guy in a Mustang just would not let it go, started in the two lane exit ramp and followed onto the highway. He kept pulling up next to me and rev'ing his engine. Lucky for me I had to get off the next exit.

When driving around town I get nothing but thumbs up... Now we have some crazy cars in the little towns around me, nothing like LA, but people still appreciate a beautiful car.

alex and Maine57S1 like this.