458 - Are CF bumper covers stupid? | FerrariChat

458 Are CF bumper covers stupid?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by axlesofevil, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hello all,

I recently purchased a 458 Italia but unfortunately it didn't come with the factory Carbon Fiber bumper I really wanted.

Through some research I've found that you can get an aftermarket bumper cover that will emulate the look. A few questions I have:
    1. Does anyone have experience with MyRicambi and their products?
    2. Does anyone who has this specific item have good pictures of it on their car? I'd be worried that it'd look too "aftermarket" since it's just stuck onto the existing bumper.
    3. Is any sort of add-on like this just sacrilege on a Ferrari? This is my first F car and I'm not really one to modify cars so I'm worried I'd just be ruining the car :p
    Thanks all.

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'd skip it, or do it right. You'll always know it is a cover, which is ironically adding weight to your car (and I don't see any way it won't stick out, mine is flush).

3. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah that's kind of what I'm starting to think. Problem is it's something like $7800 for the bumper and $5800 for the carbon piece. And then more for painting and installation. That's a lot of cash to get some carbon between the taillights, as cool as it looks.

4. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I have nothing but good things to say about MyRicambi. I upgraded my interior trim with carbon fiber. Looks OEM. Also upgraded my engine bay with carbon fiber. My car was specced with the carbon fiber bumper trim you are referring to. While I am definitely not shy about modding cars, I would probably not do choose to mess with that particular piece of trim. Sounds like too much work/cost for what you will be getting out of it (to do it properly versus somehow just sticking it on).

5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The factory CF piece to me looks so much better than without. It is a lot to swallow to replace the whole thing...

6. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah luckily I have all the interior CF I need. If I wanted to do the engine bay I wouldn't hesitate to use MyRicambi because it's a direct replacement. But the concept of using a cover irks me. And looking at the pictures in more detail the MyRicambi version just looks sloppy compared to the real thing.

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hrm. Another option is to buy recycled parts. Get an old bumper and carbon connector et voila. Except who knows what condition the bumper is actually in. And I'd be Frankenstein-ing a beautiful 458. :eek:

8. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Hey Axle-

Always great to see a fellow San Diego Ferrari owner. I have no idea on the complexities of upgrading your car, but it is totally worth it and I wish you the best of luck. My 2014 458 Spider has CARBON FIBRE REAR MOULDING GRDC $4015. And it is spectacular.

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev and Rexcat458 like this.
  9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    My car has it too and I think it looks great. I really notice the difference when I look at ads for other cars. My sticker also shows it as a $4,014 option.

I'm not sure I'd call it a bumper cover though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob5819 likes this.
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The factory option is for a two piece rear bumper. It is not a cover. The upper piece is Ferrari carbon fiber which has the factory weave pattern. The rest of the bumper, which is the lower portion is not carbon as far as I know.

The standard bumper lacks the upper piece in carbon. So the less expensive work around is a thin cover with the carbon fiber look to glue over the standard material.

As far as adding weight, carbon fiber is light and this additional piece is very thin. However, if you are a stickler for details make sure the aftermarket weave looks like the Ferrari factory weave pattern which has a gray small checkerboard look as opposed to a striped look.

Since you are asking about it, you already like the look. I have it (Ferrari 2 piece bumper) on my car and really appreciate the aesthetics.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I have the factory oem, and I truly adore it. I honestly don't know how good it is for the aftermarket one. You should really look at it yourself in person to decide if the cheaper cost is worth it. Everyone's level to details is different.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #12 MalibuGuy, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    To do the factory option now means a new rear bumper and additional carbon fiber trim plus painting and installation. I think this will will probably cost $8,000 or maybe a bit more. Unfortunately the standard bumper has to be replaced, or at least this is what I believe to be the case.

I think we find this to be the case for many options. You pay half the cost at the time of ordering the new car compared to doing this ‘aftermarket’ meaning after purchase. Not to be confusing but that is why the non oem (non Ferrari) aftermarket suppliers exists because this can save 40-50%

If you ordered the Ferrari titanium lugs or in this case, the Ferrari rear carbon trim, or Ferrari interior carbon, you would have saved 50% compared to doing this later with Ferrari.

It is also true that when you sell the car, you will not re coup the cost of expensive options. And as many have mentioned, the cost and number of options you can ‘tick’ when ordering your dream car, can quickly escalate into the stratosphere.

13. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much for the post and photo! It’s totally bad*ss and epically awesome bruddah!!! Alas, my 2015 458 does NOT have the two piece CF bumper...

I will now retreat to my Prancing Horse man cave and have a row with myself over a nice cup of Earl Grey as I ponder if the juice is worth the squeeze to throw away a perfectly immaculate standard bumper with parking sensors. Bloody Hotel Echo Lima Lima!!!

Cheers!

14. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Flame suit on....There were two local guys who had that part of the bumper wrapped in CF (the other in black) and they both looked really great.

Both paid less than $300 to have that section done. Food for thought before spending big bucks if you're on the fence. Super easy to remove as well.

Nuvolari and Whan like this.
  15. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah the bumper cover to emulate the look just looks sloppy. If I were to do it I'd want to do it "right". The question is how much would it cost. It'd be a lot if it were all new parts. It seems that there are exotic dismantlers/recyclers that will sell used/refurbished parts. Could be the cheapest route to go.

16. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    That sounds about right MalibuGuy. Probably a bit or a lot more than $8000. That's part of why I'm looking at "refurbished" parts from exotic recyclers. And I am under no delusions that I'd ever recoup the cost on resale. I realize I might as well be lighting money on fire. It might even devalue the car to modify it from stock.