Air in cooling system | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Air in cooling system

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A couple of general trouble spots are the exhaust sampler ports and the air injection tubes. The exhaust ports on my 1-4 bank were completely rusted in so rather than try to drill and retap I decided to just completely remove them and weld the holes shut. I also completely removed the beaten up shrouds. For the air injection I found it was best to just cut them and then reweld back together. They really are a crummy setup.

Attached Files:

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    While the heads and exhaust were in the shop I decided to take a little vacation and go to Le Mans. Nothing like the old days of the Ford Ferrari wars but just one of those bucket-list things. You couldn't get yourself killed as a spectator here nowadays even if you were hell bent on doing so. Well, maybe you could OD on Kronenbourg and pomme frites (ha, ha) The Ferraris were cool and sounded great, didn't win though did place 2nd and 3rd in GT-Am.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

StuR likes this.
  3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    thorn and StuR like this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #106 kcabpilot, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    The valve stem guides that came with my gasket set do not look anything like the ones that came off. They may be fine but at this point I don't feel like experimenting and since the originals seemed to be working fine - the car was using virtually zero oil between changes at 60,000 miles - I decided to just buy a whole set of the original teflon type seals. The only thing I've heard is that they need to be absolutely true when you install them so I put the valves in and slid them over the stem using Royal Purple assembly lube then pressed them home onto the guides with a 3/8 inch deep socket. I thought maybe a light tap with a hammer to make sure they were fully seated would be a good idea but no, ended up damaging one and had to order a replacement so DON'T DO THAT! It's pretty easy to just push them home by hand.

Bags of new hardware from Bel-Metric. I'm replacing all studs or bolts that had any hint of corrosion on them which is pretty much all of the exhaust stuff and of course all nylocks will be replaced.

StuR likes this.
  5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi and thanks everybody on this chat, great place for ideas and help. I’ve been having issues bleeding air out of my cooling system of my 328 since I bought it in 2010. I always ended up with a water full header tank and an annoying drip from the header tank overflow. After trying different approaches, the only ones that, seem really to work (and are very simple) are; The first arrangement is, Fill the header tank all the way up(with the heaters fully open), bleed radiator and thermostat housing, top off header tank and install a secondary water reservoir. This secondary reservoir is fed by the overflow hose on the header tank. Reservoir tank only needs about an inch of water. I’ve used this arrangement for three years… No problem, no overheating, no drips, no leaks. The second arrangement (and even easier) is plugging the upper feedback hose on the header tank. This is easily done by removing the hose on the header tank, inserting a plug in the hose (plug has to be tight), and hooking the hose back to the header tank. Bleed the system and fill the header tank coolant level to manufacturer’s specifications. Results are as with first arrangement… No overheating, no leaks, no air in radiator…

Don’t ask me why these arrangements work and the original design doesn’t.

6. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning, this thread is related to the previous one I posted. Can someone give me an answer or help me out?

The idea of using a coolant reservoir tank is not mine, I copied it from a water cooled VW Vanagon, which basically has the same cooling system layout as the 328. I went this rout because there was no way of bleeding air out of the cooling system. I would always have air in the radiator and the header tank would eventually overflow (after driving for about ten minutes) no matter what I tried. Now I’ll explain what steps I followed in order to solve the problem.

I began trying to find any leaks, so I pressurized the system and pressure would not drop. Apart from that I separately pressure tested the heater coils and the radiator, with no leaks showing. From there I moved on to replacing all the water hoses and rebuilding the water pump. Nothing cured so far… so I figured out it could be a blown head gasket. Took the heads off and took them over to the machine shop. Ran two tests; cracked head test and warp test. Both were negative, never the less I shaved the heads. While the heads were off, cylinder liner height was also checked, all were within specs.

New gaskets and heads torqued to manufacturers specifications… same as at beginning, nothing cured.

Last thing that popped my mind would be a crack in a cylinder liner, now… if that’s the case, why would the coolant level stay stable using the coolant reservoir?

Could it be that the heater coils sit above water level? For now I ran out of ideas.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My advise for your case - continue to do bleed cycles. I found that it took quite a number of drive/bleed cycles before I had put 18 liters of coolant back into my completely drained system and I know that's how much it takes because that's how much I had drained out. I think the 328 has the same capacity but not sure about it. I don't believe it is necessary to make any modifications to the system, a design flaw wouldn't work perfectly fine for 34 years and then suddenly not work. In my case it was a head gasket leak that I verified when doing cylinder leak-down checks.

8. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks, I'll do as you recommend, after a leak down test.
    Right now the engine has been taken apart due to bearing noise in the timing drive pulleys. Since I had to pull the engine out, I pulled off the heads just to check cylinders and pistons. My surprise was that #5 has severe vertical scratches. All the rest looked and measure ok.
    My next step was locating a liner...luckily I found a used one in Italy, 400 Euros plus shipping. Pictures show liner in very good condition.
    I'm planning on replacing the liner and new rings for the entire engine. The old rings were on wear limit (0.8mm).
    Since these liners are Nikasil, I'm not planning on touching them, just cleaning with alcohol.
    I"d appreciate any hints and comments that could help me out.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The car didn't need an additional overflow tank when it was new. ;)

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    #112 Cuddy K, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    +1
    I feared a head gasket leak on my 85 QV, but after 5 drive/bleed cycles there's no more air in the system and temps are normal. The gauge sticks sometimes (tapping it drops the needle), but better to rebuild the gauge than the engine. BTW, not to hijack, but who do you guys recommend for gauge servicing?

11. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi, I recall seeing that gauge at Superformance UK. Maybe replacing it is the best solution.

12. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    That is true. Once I have the engine back together, I'll do a leak down test, hope for no surprises.

13. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    You could use a vacuum fill system for the coolant. It will help to bleed the system. I had a Dodge truck I could not get the "gurgles " out of unless I vacuum filled the system. Basically you pull a vacuum on the cooling system and it will suck the air bubbles out and replace it with coolant. Its not so important at the beginning but it can help chase out those last bubbles of air trapped up nook and crannies. Its vapor lock with cooling Water doesn't compress or expand very well so pulling a vacuum will help chase out air pockets.

14. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks! Let's see if I got it right...First, fill it up with coolant, second bleed and third vacuum the system through the header tank. Is this correct?

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, a vacuum bleeder is used on an empty system to (theoretically) evacuate all of the air. The relief port is then channeled with a hose to the bottom of your bottle of new coolant so that when it is opened the coolant is drawn into the system. The problem is that when under vacuum the hoses collapse and create pinch points beyond which air can still be trapped. On the 308 most of the coupler hoses are too short for this to happen but the upper radiator hose, one or both of the rear coupler hoses (possibly) and especially the long heater hoses will collapse. So you will not get the results you are hoping for. I have a vacuum bleeder, it can be effective on smaller systems with less capacity and no long hoses but not on the 308 that uses nearly 5 gallons of coolant.

It's also not necessary, the system is designed to self bleed. Once you have filled it to where coolant comes out both bleed screws and start running it any air getting transported through the system will either end up going through the return bleed to the top of the header tank or make it's way to the top of the radiator up front where it will be trapped and you can then manually bleed it.

The only "modification" to the system that I would recommend is to install the drilled bleed screws for thermostat and radiator that allows you to bleed the air out by loosening them and does not require you to completely remove them. You can then easily bleed the air out of the radiator after drives until eventually there is no more and you have put in 18 liters of coolant. At that point it should require nothing else.

StuR likes this.
  16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have noticed that a lot of threads on fchat seem to "dead-end" with no closure or resolution. I'm really not much of a blogger but I didn't want that to happen with mine so rather than recap everything that went on over the past six months I figure this eleven minute music video will suffice...

BLACK HORSE and JuLiTrO like this.
  17. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    VERY NICE PAUL

18. elfer

elfer Rookie

May 30, 2007
    Kcabpilot, I wanted to thank you for this thread. I own a 1985 308 GTB QV that I purchased in November of 2006 with 85’000 miles.
    I had cooling issues soon as I started driving. It started with a blown radiator hose, overflowing coolant tank, more blown hoses and eventually constant bleeding of the radiator tank. It was driving me crazy. Until one day, last Feb. I stumbled on your thread. Everything you went through, I went through. The more I read the more I knew I had the exact same problem as well. Leaking head gasket. I went back to my compression test and sure enough cylinder 5 and 8 had 120 psi and 119 psi respectively. The odometer is at 99’700 and my car is now in the safe hands of Dave Helms and his crew at Scuderia Rampante (I am by no means as skilled a you are mechanically).
    Thank you again for your very helpful thread. Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    With the mid engine setup, it helps if you put the front wheels on blocks and then jack the rear up really high- the 430 is hard to bleed and one of the threads on 430 shows this way as useful.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Since the car bleeds at the front radiator, how does raising the back of the car benefit? (As air doesn't travel down.) Maybe I'm missing something, feel free to expound. :)

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You actually should do the reverse and try to have the nose of the car uphill, to open the bleed screw....

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #124 kcabpilot, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    You actually don't have to do anything, when the engine is running, any air in the cooling system that doesn't get bled out to the expansion tank will eventually get trapped at the top of the radiator. That is why the bleed port is located there. Since the expansion tank is the highest point (even with the car level) all you need to do is open the bleed screw. You will have to also open the cap on the tank otherwise the vacuum created by the lowering level will prevent the coolant from equalizing. Do this when the system is cool and not pressurized.

mike996 likes this.
  23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks elfer I'm glad it was helpful for someone.