F12 Berlinetta starting problem | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F12 Berlinetta starting problem

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12_CDR5, Sep 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the issue has come back and it appears to be heat related.

i notice it mostly when going to gas station i turn off a warm car engine then try and restart it within 5 to 10 minutes it cranks VERY slow. in fact the 2nd crank noise almost doesn't happen then it gets going and starts finally.

however if i wait over 30 minutes such as going to lunch and come back it starts just fine cranks normally.

any thoughts?

it hasn't thrown any error codes and it has always started. battery has been topped off every night with charger.

cwall likes this.
  2. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    did you get your hot restart issue solved?

mine is still there. the last post said changing the "starter cable" seems to have fixed it?

3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    would you mind posting details on your fix and if it is still working?

4. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    A couple of months ago I got some difficulties starting up the engine, similar to what has been described above. Went back to my dealer, checked the battery and their comment was that it was far to its end. It has been replaced by a heavier battery (the once used for stop/go which seem to have a higher start output). Since no issues anymore but I have to say that I have not driven a lot over the last 2 months!

5. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    My 2014 is having exactly the same issues. I took it to the dealer and they said it had to do with the battery being exposed to too much heat. The previous owner (also a forum member) had the battery replaced at least once. This car does not sit in a garage. Has had 29k miles put on it since new.

6. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Neither does mine 'cwall' ... the clock shows nearly 90K kilometers. Still going strong although I have slowed down my pace, this partly due to travel restrictions.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You say you installed a new battery. What make and model?
    The OE batteries are of an extremely poor quality and it is highly recommended that you install something better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  8. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Speaking for my replacement, sorry, can't check it now. My F12 is in its winter-storage, which is unfortunately not near my house.

9. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    I could only imagine Switzerland is not that hot. I just got my car back from Cauley ferrari and my starter was replaced in addition to the heat shield protecting the starter in the engine. Starter was covered- heat shield $5xx. I had the same issue and have an interstate agm heavy duty battery which was replaced beginning of 2020. They picked up and dropped off my car 2.5 hrs away for free- courtesy ferrari roadside.

10. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    so you are saying you replaced the battery with the upgraded heavy duty one and you still had the problem of hot restarts? so then you replaced starter motor and added heat shield to the starter motor area?

11. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    I had a factory battery replaced in beginning of the year. The starter motor was replaced just this month in ohio including the heat shield they found was broken in the engine compartment. It left me stranded at a gas station. It would start and I daily it and exactly as described would. OT even true to turn over.

I think the heat was definetly generated from the engine area, not just from outside ambient temperature. I had it happen on my driveway and I pushed it back Into the garage and thought maybe I should have it’s on a tender after not driving a week. Next day it started and I drove it for a week no issues the. I was stranded at the gas station.

12. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi all. New owner of an F12 here (came from a 488 spider) in the Philippines. I have the exact same problem. Seems that there's still no consensus on the proper fix for this issue whether it is the battery or starter cable. Will keep an eye on this thread and hope that someone can confirm the correct fix for this starting problem. I always have to hold my breath when restarting from a hot engine.

Regards.

13. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    #63 colonels, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    the cheapest and first step should be to replace battery with a newer one that matches specs and dimensions:
    According to the WSM, the OEM FIAMM is an L3 70 AH, 760 CCA unit. Dimensions are 278 mm L, 175 mm W, 190 mm H, or 10.94" L, 6.89" W, 7.48" H. Here is an AGM battery, MT7-34R, that should work by Interstate and has a 48 month free replacement warranty. Get a recommendation from the dealer.
    in Europe it seems Bosch and Varta are the options.
    in the USA these options:

Interstate: MT7-34R ... just checked no longer available closest is MTZ-34R but it is 0.25 inches taller
    Braille: B7548
    Odyssey: 34R-PC1500

if the problem persists then move to replacing starter motor, cables, heat shields.
    here is reference thread for F12 battery replacement:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f12-battery-replacement.542398/

14. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you colonels. Will start of with replacing the battery then. I can source Varta here in the Philippines.

15. ehrst

ehrst Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    sse
    This is a fairly well known issue. My car never died but would eventually start after a marked delay in the starter turnover like the battery was near dead. Battery replacement twice, no help. Alternator replacement, no help. No issues with starter. All this was also associated with periodic dashboard message "electrical failure, go to dealer", or the radio or phone not working. Those issues could often be remedied by restarting "rebooting" the car. Finally, I noticed that the car voltage would be quite high...14+ volts when driving for hours when the car was first used after being idle but on tender for a few days. Assuming no change in resistance, this suggests high current delivery to a battery that presumably was charged given the car was kept on the tender. One Ferrari mechanic even suggested the problem with starting was due to my turning the key and not waiting 10 seconds for the ignition system to cycle before pushing start button. Needless to say that did not reliably fix the issue either.

My car was a 14 and had 28K miles on it when I traded it in last year. The point? A significant number of F12s have significant "electrical" issues. I have not seen that on my other newer Ferrari vehicles. Was unique to my F12. And the problem ended only after I traded the car.

16. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    my mechanic says it sounds like a starter motor area heat soak issue. he hasn't actually looked at it yet.
    googling heat soak starter motor gives you lots of solutions that involve creating heat shields and bulking up some wiring and cables to resist heat better.

17. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I have same issue.. ..
    do u guy think a Lithium hight cca battery should fix that issue?

thank you

18. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
  19. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    how does a lithium battery hold up to the same engine heat?

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Generally speaking, LiFe batteries like a bit of heat. While they obviously don't like being burnt to a crisp, they are less affected by heat than lead acid batteries.

Have a AntiGravity in the Lusso and it is great.

21. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    is the Lusso battery setup same as F12? i hear the battery must be exact dimensions to fit. if so please provide me the exact model AntiGravity battery you use thanks!

no problems with the Lusso alternator recharging the lithium battery?

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #72 Il Co-Pilota, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    The AntiGravity is a normal group 49/H8. Here you go. Get the 80 ah version.
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h8-rs/

Any Group 49 will fit. I've seen Varta, Bosch, Braille, Exide and what have you fitted to FF's, F12's, and Lusso's. They all use the same tray and zero issues.
    There is a handle to screw on to the old battery in the tool kit which will make it easier to get out. Use it! It's a pain in the ass to get out.

No charging issues. The system supplies over 14 volts to the battery, so it gets what it needs. You can install AntiGravitys battery tracker. Then you can monitor the battery condition on your phone. https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/

Remember to get the CTek lithium charger. You can get an adapter on ebay that makes it possible to use the connector you use for the trickle charger.

colonels and saadxj220 like this.
  23. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    Thank you.. does it fix the start issue problem? thank

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, I never really had that issue as my Lusso is my winter daily. But it fixed the poorly locking boot lid, the generally sluggish starting as well as all CEL's. It starts so strong every time it's just a pleasure.

Look at it this way. The normal battery can put out about 10 5 kw at its absolute best, but usually a lot less. The AG battery easily delivers 27.6 and can peak at 29 kw. The difference is significant.

WilliamB likes this.
  25. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I heard that AGM battery when the battery get 90c it start to boil the acid inside and it loose the capacity…
    lithium battery didn’t do that.. I will try and see if it fix the issue

very annoying when driving it inside city

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app