Ferrari or McLaren (other?)? | FerrariChat

Ferrari or McLaren (other?)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hallsdad, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have owned my 355 for 10ish years now and love it. Not just the car itself but Ferrari racing, history, etc. I may be fortunate enough to be able to pick up another what I once considered completely out of reach car.

I love the look of F430s but want to consider other makes that may bring more bang for the buck? My wife said not long ago ‘If we get another cool car, maybe we should consider a McLaren.’...to say my wife of 25 years (Jan) is awesome is an understatement. Looking to be in the low 100s and I hold onto things basically forever. I won’t be putting many miles on whatever I end up with. Just looking for some thoughts from fellow car lovers realizing they will likely be Ferrari bias.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Robb, EnzoItaly and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Steve, great question. I'm looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.

Cheers

hallsdad likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Listen to your wife, not F-chatters! :D
    T
    p.s. I'm serious. Let your wife pick the Macca.

hallsdad and russellmcg like this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Drive both then decide - you may find the motoring world has advanced considerably in the last 10-20 years

5. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I have a 2017 California T, but I think my next car will be a McLaren. They have dropped crazy quick on some of them and really are just a cool looking car. For the mid 100's you can find a nice 570s, which are just a beast of machines. I have heard their clutch is not as fast as Ferrari, but I don't think you would notice.

In the end, though, I agree with @tomc and say let the wife pick. Happy wife, happy life.

hallsdad and tomc like this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There are so many variables to look at....first what servicing options do you have in a small SC city? McLaren has the smallest dealer network, the worst reliability, bad corporate support, and the least access for independent service options. They also have the worst tech, and the ingress/egress stinks.

The 430 is a good choice, as is a '09 or newer Lamborghini Gallardo. A Porsche GT3 should be in this conversation as well.

Igor Ound and hallsdad like this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The Mclaren is going to be an even larger maintenence hog than the Mclaren.

The mclarens around 100k are going to be older MP4s. Those cars were not fully cooked before they turned them out. I bought one for 90k that had over 100k in receipts.
    Also, the cars just break sitting there. Id advise to buy something else she might enjoy for around the same money.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This says it all.....the only competition it has for rediculous high maintenance costs is itself.

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have had Ferraris for a long time. A year ago I sold my 488B and got a 600LT and have been very happy with my purchase. You could get into a 12C or possibly into a 650. Sure some of the cars had problems, but most have been pretty good.

hallsdad likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I’m not sure what prices are where you are compared to here. But apart from a 430 (I love my gated 430 btw) or a Macca ideas are:

Lambo Gallardo Performante
    Aston Vantage V12/S
    911 GT3
    Audi R8 V10

for a slightly different experience:

Ferrari 550/575/599
    Cali 30
    Aston DBS
    Mercedes SLS
    Mercedes SL63 AMG (TT)
    Bentley Conti GT V8S
    991.2 GTS

the second category is more GT, but if you are keeping the 355, will offer a contrasting experience. And if you keep your cars forever, they will age well with you.

I have driven all these cars extensive distances and liked them all a lot, in some cases loved them. I loved the 650S also. I would be nervous about owing an ageing McLaren or Aston.

11. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have an older 911 and not looking to add another although the GT3 is awesome. I had a 72 911s many years ago and that is the only other 911 I would consider but it’s not a car I’m that interested in unless I can find a nice roller.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. I'm sorry. I made an error.

As everyone has noticed I don't proof read anything when I post it. I meant 355.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    After 30 years of Ferraris, I made the jump to McLaren and couldn't be happier. 2.5+ years in and the car has been bullet proof, the performance is so far ahead and the car gets nothing but smiles, people talking to you, taking and pictures, etc. With my Ferraris, they can either get a thumbs up or a middle finger.

I have a number of McLaren buddies (including a '12, 12C) and all have been reliable. The stories you hear on line are from the whiners and complainers and are in the minority.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgi, FerrariFinally, Gh21631 and 4 others like this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Have seen a few 570s out in the wild, including an all black one. That's the car for you McG!
    T

russellmcg likes this.
  15. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    How about something unusual? Current-gen Acura NSXs are attainable in that price range. Very fast, very under rated, and very rare (they only sell a few hundred a year). The new Lotus Evora GT starts at just under $100k and offers arguably the best-sounding six cylinder engine on the market as well as a proper manual transmission. Definitely more of a pure enthusiast's car than almost anything else on the market, and it will give you F430 levels of performance in a very rare package. If I were in your shoes, my pick would be either an F430 or manual Evora GT.

Although, whatever you end up choosing, you should really drive the hell out of it, especially if you're going to hold onto it for a long time.

paulchua, hallsdad and Igor Ound like this.
  16. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Have not looked at the NSX's till now, but they look so much like a Mclearn it's crazy!

17. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Of course its eventually down to personal taste, as always, but bang for the buck, its really hard to beat a Mclaren, especially for $100k..... obviously my first love is Ferrari, but I've been working on ( and factory trained) on the Mc's since the 12c came out, and its an incredible car.
    I don't see too many more real issues with them service wise, than I do Ferrari's. If you go for a 12c make sure the vin is as high as possible ( build number), don't get anything under a 000630 build ( first major updates), the interiors don't go sticky and the leather doesn't shrink, but they have a complex suspension system,( expensive) doors are hard to close, fit and finish isn't what it should be, audio is crap ( Ferrari isn't better)and a bunch of other niggling things . But so do Ferrari.
    Again it comes done to what you like.. for me .....12c over a 360/430/458 ( not a 360CS)....Scud/488/599 over a 12c...720 over 488 or F12 is where it gets tricky..... the 720 is mental fast .. but ugly ( to me ) as sin...and Ferrari did great with the 488/F12.....570 is the enigma....it has traditional suspension, same fit and finish issues ( as all British cars LOL) and its quicker than a 12c/650s ( but McLaren wont tell you that) and its not as ugly as the 720.....Now P1 over La Ferrari.........P1 all day.....
    Of course I drive a Ford Focus and have busted knuckles from working on all these cars, so my opinions might be based on which brand has more "skin in the game"..... LOL Ferrari since 1986, Mclaren since 2011...( actually 2005 if you count the SLR)...
    Find a good clean example of what makes you happy and enjoy.... you wont regret either brand.....

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ferrari-Tech, Thank you!
    My concern has been service options available. I can buy Ferrari parts, Ricambi and UK Suppliers. For work I do not do, I have several Independent Shops within an hours drive as well as Ferrari Dealer.
    Mclaren option is dealer only. Diagnostic equipment, parts etc are not available outside Mclaren network from my understanding.
    570 does really interest me though!

19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Not true. My independent has all the equipment to work on any McLaren. Unlike Ferrari, he says McLaren is easy to work with and very helpful. Talk to Vince at Black Horse Motor Werks in Kansas City.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    diag equipment is available and works well... its not cheap , but then neither is Ferrari or Lambo diagnostic equipment.. I haven't had problems getting parts for a McLaren yet..

21. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    I would second the idea of a V12 (599s or FF) or W12 (Conti GT Speed) vs. another V8

hallsdad likes this.
  22. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Ferrari has made Ricambi take down there Ferrari parts diagrams..

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I don't see what can be better or more reliable than the F430 for that price range. ESPECIALLY a Mclaren...

hallsdad likes this.
  24. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you sim and Ferrari-Tech. I was not aware there were other service options available. I will research some local shops. Located north of Boston. Actually see more Mclarens than Ferraris lately!

25. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The Ferrari is more timeless and you join a family (if you join Ferrari Club of America, which I highly recommend). The McLaren is edgier, not only to look at but also to drive

hallsdad likes this.