Taking Car to Lunch or Dinner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Taking Car to Lunch or Dinner

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I wish Culver's was open before cars and coffee. I think the people there would have been slightly less horrified if it was cheese curds instead. The Dells is such a beautiful area. Lots of good scenery

Reacherman1022 and armedferret like this.
  2. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Late to the thread. doesn't the E63S cost nearly the same as the 430?
    the Ferrari could be fixed, just like any other cars. If it's a minor scratch, the resale value shouldn't change.

3. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Arrgh it will only let me put 1 “like” on the gorgeous tdf blue 360 spider.

I drove mine to the clinic, to work, and to the gym today. Then I drove it home with my sweddy workout shorts all over the seat. We definitely take it if we go somewhere nice!

armedferret likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Ha. Indeed. That is indeed the irony. For me, the amg is of course more low key, and as such, I take it everywhere, from work daily, Home Depot, kid pickup, etc.

Don’t get me wrong.. I drive the f430 weekly... sometimes more... I just mainly drive point A to A, as simply “driving” it gives me pleasure. I just have yet to find suitable locations where I’m comfortable taking it and parking it in the parking lot over the years I can’t remember any of my cars not ultimately getting door dings, scratches, etc. all annoying, but all easily fixable at the dealer. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it doesn’t seem that easy with the Ferrari

Anyway, glad I started this thread, as there are some great pics and posts and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SCEye and Jda550911 like this.
  5. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    To the OP, you have to be comfortable with the amount of risk you are willing to accept for the reward you are wanting.

Only you can decide that.

I decided I want to enjoy the car, and the worst that can happen is some damage.
    Damage can be fixed. Resale on an aging relatively highly produced Ferrari isn't of my concern, its Not a collector car.

So, park wisely and pick the best spot, a 50/50, something close to or in your line of sight can reduce anxiety ( and you'll notice how many people DON'T care about the car haha!) ask the valet are they familiar how to operate your model car before handing over the keys or deciding to park it for yourself .

Most importantly, enjoy the car the way you want.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jda550911, cole328 and imahorse like this.
  6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    Can the 360 at least hang with the C8? I have a TDF blue 360 Modena but when I started looking I wanted a C8, just didn't want to pay a premium over MSRP for the C8

7. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    495/470, 3700ish pounds curb.....gets to 60 in under 3 seconds. It's also 20 years more advanced than the 360, so given the age gap, the performance gap isn't nearly as wide as it theoretically "should" be.

TDF 360 has way more sex appeal. Corvettes tend not to be nearly as brilliant as they age, until they're several decades old.

8. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ve owned 9 Corvettes in the past. There will be 150K C8s on the road in five years, so you’ll see them every day. And they’re not quite the work of art that Ferraris are. I’ll take a 20 year old Ferrari over any Corvette. To me there’s more to the ownership experience than outright performance.

Sj_engr, Jda550911, imahorse and 3 others like this.
  9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I think it’s all relative. I used to freak out about a 100k car in public, now it’s well north of that. Growing up in a high crime city, I have always been very cognizant of the safety of where I park. I have also always looked for that outside spot or one with limited chance for door dings.

When there is valet parking, I usually ask to park it myself and have rarely been denied. I tip them as I would have if they parked it. Some valet managers have told me they aren’t bonded to park cars past a certain value. I like valet parking as you have eyes on your car. It’s like hiring security.

Be aware of your surroundings as these cars are flashing lights of wealth for those miscreants in society. I refer specifically to actual thieves not the anti one percent maggots.

10. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I allowed a 40 something valet at a private Ferrari party to "try" to back up and park my gated 360. 3 attempts later, others standing near practically pulled him out to allow me to do it. No one parks my Ferrari now but me. Otherwise, i go anywhere with my car. Never had a vandalism issue. Knock on wood.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Dewinator, Need4Spd and cole328 like this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I never let valets move my gated car. Way too easy to burn 1000s of miles off the clutch in just one visit. Good thing most can’t figure out how to start it with the immobilizer. Mostly they leave the door unlocked because it’s parked in front so they don’t press the button on the fob before trying to start it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

BrettC and Dewinator like this.
  12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’m dying to throw the keys to the LFA to a valet with it parked, the brake set, and a need to reverse.

It is the most complex car to maneuver I have yet to come across. Pull both paddles back and press start button with your right thumb to start engine. Parking brake release is located above your right knee, of course. For reverse, again, pull both paddle shifts back for neutral, then reach to the left of the instrument cluster, and pull a lever back towards you for reverse. Done backing? Ok, now both paddles in again for neutral, then one click on right for first gear.

Additionally, the turning radius is about as bad as a racecar, so in a tight fit, be prepared to do the above dance three times more often than in a regular street car. I have had to do it once or twice while in a hurry and it is easy to forget one of the multiple steps along the way.

Is it all worth it to hear the sound of the Yamaha tuned naturally aspirated ten cylinder engine? Oh yeah!

tomc, armedferret, Oz-ATL and 2 others like this.
  13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    17 year old: sir you can’t park there it’s valet only.
    me: it’s included with dinner.
    17 year old: yes but we have to drive it.
    me: it’s a manual Ferrari and you’re a kid, you’re not driving it.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you have a 355, they can’t even find the door handle.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ... $20 later: thank you very much sir, enjoy your dinner!

tomc and armedferret like this.
  16. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Goes to lunch, brunch, tea, dinner, brewery, winery, everywhere.

No valet, self park. $20 allows front row. Granted, around here, we don’t have much valet, except the hotels or special events, and I self park there.

Just had lunch with some FCA guys and a couple car buddies today. All fine, normal Friday around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armedferret and Dewinator like this.
  17. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    The C8 has a brilliant double clutch Tremac transmission, the F1 360 is no match with it out of the hole, the single clutch transaxle is dated technology.
    I love both cars equally but for different reasons.
    Both cars were recently acquired and coincidentally about the same price.

dbdreams and armedferret like this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The answer to this question will depend on where you live....

If I were fortunate enough to live in Carmel then by all means....

However if you live in a more economically diverse region your results may vary :)

Sj_engr and MRY like this.
  19. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I park with the top down on my 430 when shopping in Maui. I did the same with other exotics for years now. Sometimes there are admirers when I get back to the car, but not as many as my Lotus Elise, my Cobra replica, or my 1923 Mercedes replica for some reason. The Merci and Cobra don't even have tops to put up so I got in the habit for 20 years now.

armedferret likes this.
  20. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We like ethnic food, so we seek out small restaurants, which are often located in strip malls. Have been able to park so that the car is in view. There are also other locations, such as Geneva, Illinois, where we have felt safe leaving the car for a stroll. I would never want to valet my car!

armedferret likes this.
  21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm in Seattle. There is no way I would park on the streets downtown.....not even for 5 mins.

NMNMNMN and armedferret like this.
  22. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Before all the rioting downtown was not that bad. Around Amazon (7th or 8th) is still pretty nice.

I wouldn't park any car in SF for 5 min.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It would be vandalized even before the riots and covid.
    Maybe not turned into a fireball but keyed, coffee thrown at it,...mirrors knocked in....etc.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I parked my 911 downtown every day in SF usually near Chinatown and the French Embassy where my wife worked. Never an issue. A lot of tourists wanted me to take their pic in front of the gates. is it odd that the real world of folks who try these things is so different from others who just imagine them? I am finding this among many Americans these days.

Apollo 11 and Skidkid like this.
  25. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Well the last time I parked my 911 in SF I got two tickets. One for no front plate and a second one for having a clear cover on my rear plate.

My fault I guess but not bringing a car to the city any time soon.