Procedure to cure a 355 Spider roof that does not close properly due to old fluid | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Procedure to cure a 355 Spider roof that does not close properly due to old fluid

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FloridaF355, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    If your straps are weak, the folds may not be proper and hence causing your problem. Observe the closing procedure and watch especially the 2nd and 3rd 'ribs' of the sunroof. If they sag instead of staying up and folding the textile below it you may need to push up with a finger to prop up for few seconds then you can let go. This happens to my roof on occasion and if I don't catch I get the problem as you with the arms running into the back of the seats despite them being forward in the process.

2. mathewmark5

mathewmark5 Rookie

Nov 5, 2008
    Just tried it and it worked! Thany you!

BigTex likes this.
  3. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    If you look carefully at the roof you can see if the straps are torn or loose. Your call if you wish to fix or use the finger assist method.

4. Ari Paul

Ari Paul Rookie

Sep 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ari Paul
    How do you bleed the SECONDARY cylinders???!!!

I have followed this procedure exactly and my primary cylinders work perfectly, but my secondary cylinders never move with power, and I can easily move them in and out like they are empty with no fluid!!

Please help!!!

5. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The secondary cylinders are basically self-bleeding. If the roof is not in the final stages of closing, the fluid in the secondary cylinders is unpressurised and is free to go back into the reservoir which it does when you pull back on the roof to initiate roof opening.
    The secondary cylinders are meant to move in and out easily.

If the secondary cylinders are not activating during the final stages of closing then you may have one or more issues.
    1) perhaps insufficient fluid?
    2) the “F1” solenoid valve behind the driver is not working (in the left hand buttress area)
    3) the triggering circuit for the F1 solenoid valve is not working.

The “F1” valve has nothing to do with the gearbox. It’s just what they call it in the manual. Check the wiring going to the solenoid valve. There was a case of some broken wires last year.

Let me know if you need a wiring diagram or further explanation.

7. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    FloridaF355:

First off thanks very much for your very detailed 27 step procedure for flushing the hydraulic system on the 355 Spider roof. It is people like you that make this form so valuable.
    When closing the roof the LH Guide Shoe (item # 43) contacted the drivers side seat belt holder an brake.
    During trouble shooting of this issue I found the fluid reservoir for the roof hydraulic fluid below the low level Mark. As I followed your procedure I discovered the K hose to be leaking. I think this caused the roof to close slower on the driver's side than on the passenger side, which in turn caused the LH Guideto contact the seatbelt holder.
    I replaced the hose with one that Chris at Cabriolet Roof Hoses Limited in the UK made up for me(CDN $ 107 including shipping)
    With the new "K" hose installed (which runs from the hydraulic block to the LH main cylinder located behind the driver's seat) and at step 27 in your procedure, when the 2 primary cylinders were fully retracted and the system pressured up the "P" hose (item # 7) blew off. The hose stripped out of the compression type fitting that inserts into the connector at the Hydraulic block for the Solenoid (item # 27). The same failure as with the "K" hose.

My car is a 1999 so with 2 hoses now parting at the connection to the Solenoid valve I expect it is time to change all the hoses in the system.

Before doing so my question is, Is there a pressure regulator / relief valve in the roof hydraulic system to prevent system from over pressuring which could explain why the hoses are parting?

Please see the picture below of the parted "K" hose at the compression fitting.

Thanks

Ken

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The system has numerous safety valves. I'm not sure why you're getting blown hoses.

Here's the hydraulic system schematic

https://www.dropbox.com/t/5GfeRyIVnVFu2XKA

Link expires in 6 days

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  10. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    Qavion:
    Thanks a bunch for the schematic.

Qavion likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It looks like the "195 bar unloading valve" should take care of overpressure when closing.

I wonder if it can be easily removed and checked at a hydraulic shop (assuming it can be identified). Having said that, if your secondary cylinders are also not working, you could have multiple issues.

12. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    Reading the Top Hydraulics info on the hoses, they say if the coating is starting to peal off the hoses they are ready to fail. As this is the case on my hoses which I assume are original it looks like I will need to replace all 10 remaining hoses. I will do some further research on before ordering the full set.

Thanks a lot for your help.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the tip, Ken. Time to check mine :D

14. huzilulu

huzilulu Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2011
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Huzi Husain

I am in the process of trying to flush and bleed my system - and am basically stuck in this same place... The emergency switch mvoes both primary rams to their full open and closed position, but once I try to do step 18 manually (pull RH ram open with LH ram with open bleed valve) I am unable to get it out past 2 inches or so... only a trickle of fluid (very thick) comes out the bleed valve... Has anyone had any luck with this step when the fluid is soo thick it wont allow the piston to be manually pulled out (related question: the LH piston also comes out about 2inches when I pull the RH piston manually - is this supposed to happen or should the LH stay fully retracted during the manual bleed step)???