Buyer Beware: 2012 458 Italia VIN ZFF67NFA5C0183128 | FerrariChat

Buyer Beware: 2012 458 Italia VIN ZFF67NFA5C0183128

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ilko, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I've been looking for the right 458 Italia for some time. I'm posting this to hopefully prevent a potential buyer from purchasing a vehicle with an undisclosed salvage title...

The car in question is a 2012 458 Italia in Blu Scozia with Blue/Cuoio interior, for sale currently here: https://www.carriomotorcars.com/inventory/inventory/11745/2012/Ferrari/ZFF67NFA5C0183128?detail_embedded=true&leadsource=Showroom|carrio_motor_cars

Carfax shows "Damage to the undercarriage" as the only negative mark: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/_kMIfEnp6hkimt_jdvqyZYJDa4eXpsSXdNXn6sZCKFv0QNjgFiSU0xXyTgOWKN8HgPK8QyQe3f6v5CVkhguO0aXTcGXGZj8_uwE

I called the dealer and they said only plastic under panels were replaced and supposedly they made a request to Carfax to remove the damage from the report. However, right above the noted damage Carfax also states: "Title or registration issued to insurance company."

A google search of VIN ZFF67NFA5C0183128 shows the car in a salvage yard. And photos from a previous listing show a blue steering wheel & airbag, matching the interior color, while the photos in the current listing have the car with a black steering wheel with white stitching... Salesperson claimed he had no idea that the steering wheel was replaced.

If you type the VIN in the National Insurance Crime Bureau web site: https://www.nicb.org/vincheck it shows a total loss due to collision...

It's a very nice car on the face of it, but with with a dark past. Buyer beware.

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Wow

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  3. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Thanks for doing your homework (when you were considering purchasing this car)
    and for sharing what you found out.
    I hope anybody else looking for a car sees this and knows what they are looking at.
    Funny that the steering wheel was changed out. I see the stitching that would have been blue from the factory is yellow now.
    This is something somebody might see and not even notice.

Thanks again,
    GG

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Did a PPI on 4 F cars; 3 had undisclosed damage history, bought the 4th. Best money I ever spent. 2 were at a major multi location high end dealer that told us we didn't know what we were doing even after showing them the evidence. They asked us to leave. One was with a very large broker that claimed ignorance but wanted me to pay for the flatbed transport anyway. 6 years & 22K miles into ownership of my 2010 458; the one that passed PPI.
    Yup, buyer beware! Trust where appropriate but always verify.

Melvok, Mikael-F360, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You stole the words out of my keyboard!

mdrums likes this.
  6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California

Thank you for the warning and advice. Also for the valuable information. I didn't know we had such resources to further verify VINs to inquire about potential serious vehicle history. I feel terrible because somebody will buy that isn't aware and probably will never know. The documents he signs will probably have that disclosure is microscopic lettering and he won't have any legal resource after purchase. I anticipate heartache and disapointment.

7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I checked out the dealership and they have sold other Ferraris and also have some in stock. I find it interesting that they don't offer free Carfax in any of their cars. With your investigation and the pretty large inventory of past and present Ferraris, I feel this dealership is rebuilding Ferraris that have sustained some sort of damage, perhaps major damage and selling them for massive profit. If that is the case, this should be disclosed and if not, illegal. Seems like they have found some sort of loophole and and profiting from this. It angers me that some people have worked hard to own their dream car, finally find what they think they have been looking for; a clean used Ferrari, and then up buying into this type of BS business.

SVCalifornia and Tarek307 like this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s a Florida car...not surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skippr1999 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

10. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    It is amazing what you can find (when you know what you are doing and how to do it).

I purchased my car 1.5 years ago and I must admit that this thread got me thinking......
    I went out to the garage and I looked at my VIN. I plugged it into the website and hoped not to be surprised.
    When we bought our car I thought I did all the right things and I was happy to see nothing listed for it.
    I remember taking my car to my favorite body shop for the owner's blessing (like I always do on my cars that I am thinking of buying)..
    So maybe I did do what needed to be done. I just know that things can be missed and these sites can mean the difference between a great buy and a terrible lesson.
    I will sleep soundly tonight.

GG

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I'm always checking up on 458's and see they have a few for sale & sold many in the past, their prices & selection is a bit strange..i don't want to trash anyone without knowing facts, but i smell something, and it doesn't smell good...leave it at that!

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bought a Gwagon for my son from these guys a couple years ago. In the pics it looked great but in person you could see that it was a complete rust bucket. There were so many issues I don't know where to start. They are a fraud. The owner lied repeatedly. In the end I told him I was coming down to handle it in person which prompted him to reimburse me some money which I took and then sold to a wholesaler. Looks like this was not an isolated deal.

vraa, Tarek307 and GT2goneF like this.
  14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great detective work!

15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    From where I am from, it is said that for a sample, a button suffices...

16. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I was looking at this car also. Based on Internet research that I did about the dealership, I would pass on anything they had for sale.

Gh21631 likes this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They are shady, I would definitely stay away.

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Below are some additional ways to get info prior to purchasing a car. I use this all in addition to a PPI. Some of the information might be repetitive but if they all reconcile with each other, it can be used to solidify your decision to purchase or pass.

Free checks
    1. VINCheck® Lookup | National Insurance Crime Bureau (nicb.org)
    2. Check Any VIN - It's Free | Free Vehicle History and VIN Check
    3. Create a free Carfax account. Go to your garage and simply add a car to your garage by entering in a VIN#. It will show you any service history in more detail along with any open recalls, etc.
    4. Just enter in the VIN# into Google. You'd be surprised how many dealerships a car may have gone through. You can see the old listings to see if anything interesting pops up. Sometimes they do.

Paid checks
    1. Get a report from Autocheck.
    2. Get a report from CarFax (buy it if they don't provide it for free)
    3. Get a PPI done.

The reason for the Autocheck report is I believe they are a bit more accurate, especially when it comes to accidents. Apparently there is a lag in many cases with you deal with a CarFax report - can be up to 6 or more months after an accident occurs when it gets logged in by the police.

If I can remember anything else I'll add here but hope this helps out.

Napoli, tunlhd1 and GT2goneF like this.
  19. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great job on the research and it’s obvious this dealer is horrible and looking for uneducated buyers. Unfortunately they’ll likely find them

o31982 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    This is some serious stuff. This dealership doesn't have a long BBB history, but as it is short it is indeed significantly terrible enough to stay away. Red flag number one (as the reviews themselves aren't bad enough), not BBB certified. Red flag number two, there doesn't seem to be an actual physical dealership. Red flag number thee, I noticed that all pictures taken of cars are in front of a house (this was also noted in one of the BBB complaints). I am more certain now that these cars are salvage/auction vehicles repaired for a huge profit.

I also read in more than one complaint that the cars, in addition to being kept for up to 50 plus days after sale transaction has been completed; shortly after being received and used, the CEL turns on. Seems like they reset the light before they send the car away. Nice way to pretend that the car is in good shape for the immediate period that the car is received. The long keep time also makes me wonder if they are patching things up to make the car get there in an apparent "acceptable", something they don't do well at all. In addition to CEL, there are complaints of oil leaks.

Obviously, this, so called, "dealership" should be out of the question and all efforts should be targeted to get this guy out of business for scamming people.

My two cents, Yes, I buy online without seeing what I am buying. Amazon, Coffee, on rare occasions shoes (never clothing); but a car, house, boat, airplane, land or country (joke) you are planning to buy, you should see for yourself. For cars, I suggest you carry an OBD2 scanner, it is a cheap tool that will weed out most of the tricks out there and for the ones who pass the test get a PPI, it may be money lost but well spent if it avoids you getting a 180k mistake (or any amount of money, for that matter).

Sometimes we just get so infatuated with that we think we want and end up forgetting about vetting businesses before we make a purchase. Maybe because we want this thing so much that we are afraid we will find something wrong with it and not be able to get it or because waiting may cause you to lose it to somebody else. If I lose something to somebody else, it wasn't meant to me. If I find something wrong with it, I wouldn't want it. Either way, I win.

Level7 likes this.
  21. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I appreciate this thread.

Adamas likes this.
  22. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I was looking at a 599 they have but no anymore.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Carrio sells salvage cars and uses loopholes to not advertise this. Avoid them no matter how good the deal is. If it’s too good to be true, it is. Carrio is a scam.

Adamas and Gh21631 like this.
  24. V12uuu

V12uuu Rookie

Dec 1, 2018
    UK
    It amazes me how Carrio can remain in business. Below looks like more evidence of scamming. A quick google also shows plenty of ongoing litigation.

Mrpseudonym, Il Tifoso and jagged155 like this.