430 - F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 F430 is now up to 15 years old and sadly

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Oddly my 2007 has been the least hassle of any exotic I have owned as well as any truck...

2. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    You're paying for the engine, the rest of the car is free

Danedingerson likes this.
  3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    My Ricambi bill would gladly disagree about the free part.

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Japanese for sure. But if you want bad build quality, any Mercedes built between 1995 and 2005 is the equal of any nightmare from 1970s England, and makes a 90s Ferrari look like a Hyundai. If those Mercs didn’t rust to death before they caught fire, you had a good one.

Quality does not always follow nationality..

Husker and armedferret like this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #80 armedferret, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Oh with you there. I've always wanted a 12-cylinder SL from that era but I definitely know better. :D

I had a MK6 Jetta diesel i bought new after an "all expenses paid vacation" (heh) and it was phenomenally good; all I did was a brake job, wiper blade, oil w/filter and fuel filter changes and wash it. Oh and air filters. 130k+ later, they offered me nearly 20k for the thing (dieselgate, nearly 3x what it was worth at that point). Needed a new clutch, sunroof was getting noisy, a few buttons were getting temperamental, and it needed another brake job. No-brainer. Now I keep it simple with a 2017 GTI. Superb little machine, really does all things extremely well. Plenty of stuff out there that's faster, stuff that's more economical, stuff that hauls more, and stuff that seats more people. But none of them can do ALL the things the GTI can do so well. Clarkson really got it right with that one. ;) Excellent daily.

Themaven likes this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    once a Ferrari reaches 20 years old, it begins appreciating again. Every. Single. Time.

Red 27 likes this.
  7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Mercedes build quality is still highly questionable. It ranks right there with Rover per my experience.

8. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    My 2007 has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned. The only issue so far has been the battery going dead (my fault) but it has been just a few thousand miles. I have been really impressed with the quality to date.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Danedingerson likes this.
  9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    My 2007 has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned. The only issue so far has been the battery going dead (my fault) but it has been just a few thousand miles. I have been really impressed with the quality to date.

As noted its mileage dependent, get north of 25k miles and then see

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have leased two back to back AMGs, CLS63s in 2016, and then E63S in 2019 (which I still have) wanna talk bulletproof and a fun factor through the roof?, these are the cars!

that said, nothing is nearly as fun as the F430 spider...starting her up, drop the top, drive around town at 4K, shifting at 8.5K...indescribable!! 23K miles, regular maintenance, and no issues so far (knock twice on wood!)

Themaven likes this.
  11. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I am north of 25K and this car has needed nothing at all.

DOWORKFCAR and dweintra like this.
  12. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I think most folks with no issues don't post complaints. There are many over 40K cars out there we never hear about..

dweintra likes this.
  13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    only circa 10% of F430 production was manuals right, with 90% F1 ?

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari refuses to say. It definitely varies by country. In the US, anecdotal evidence leads me to believe it's about 5% almost all of which are 2005-7. Most production in 2008-9 were scuds so very, very few manuals from those two years. I have read that the UK had the highest percentage of manuals.

Dave

15. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Agreed. We have many higher mile F430s in our club. Well over 50K miles. No major issues at all. The F430 is truly pretty solid. Get the F1 issues sorted and you are set. A properly set up F1 system is a blast.

Red 27, Sj_engr and E60 M5 like this.
  16. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I just spent around $7000 on service, which included replacing head gaskets on my 2006. Car is well sorted and I am happy. When I bought my car I knew maintenance cost would be high so I wasn't surprised. I am surprised people are complaining about maintenance costs; my advice is sell you car and buy a Honda, sorry meant Porsche :)
    I guess if you see an f-car as an "investment" then I can understand your concerns regarding depreciation HOWEVER if you are just passionate about cars especially Ferrari you wouldn't care. I need to spend my money some how : 1) Lose it in the market 2) Blow it on babes 3) Blow it on my cars. I opt for #3.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  17. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those who see them as investments tend to be the ones with more problems when they DO eventually drive them. Sitting for months is the least ideal thing.

Ray Smith, Red 27 and tomc like this.
  18. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I also must add, I have a few friends with DCT issues...$12K sensors, $11K seals, etc....sure the F1 isn’t perfect but if it breaks, it’s fixable. Some DCT errors aren’t fixable currently....full replacement....soo as much as I can beat up the F1, at least there is support, factory and aftermarket to address problems. Thoughts?

Red 27 and cole328 like this.
  19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    A growing number of dealerships can crack open the DCT and repair them. I thought I read here about an independent that had also worked on a DCT. But, to be sure, a DCT sensor failure is a nightmare scenario for owners of 2011+ F-cars, and $$$ regardless of repair or replacement...T

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    can you please provide your data you're referring to

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am on my 5th 20+ year-old Ferrari and made money on every one of them.

Look the prices of 308s now, they were mid $20s 15 years ago.

348s, 10 years ago they were high 30s through high 40s depending on condition.

There’s nothing magical going on. Even with Ferrari’s increased production in recent years, they are still rare, and as time marches on, fewer examples of a particular model remain.

Red 27 likes this.
  22. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    ok, so you're basing it on the all-time low used price or bottom of the market, I thought you were referring to the new window sticker price. :)

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    My 05 gated 430 Spider has cost me around the same as my 2013 C63 AMG (6.2) wagon, the latter gets used a lot more. Both pretty good reliability. No complaints. But, that’s what I expected from the Mercedes (they are much better now than in the 90s) and not what I expected from the Ferrari.

They are both great fun, both have V8s and similar power, but very different to drive and own. The gated 430 is one of the most fun cars ever made, IMO.

24. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Ferrari has stated that their V8 is the most reliable in the world. They are the folks with the greatest amount of repair data. They try to prove it by offering full factory warranties you can buy for CPO cars up to 15 years old. That is a very convincing way to make their point. Know any other cars you can get a factory warranty for that age of car? If most 430s are monster repair bills , how is this possible for Ferrari to do?

Ray Smith likes this.
  25. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    It took Ferrari 50 years to create the new V8 design. Glad they did a good job.

Ray Smith likes this.