Does Updating Stereo Hurt Value? | FerrariChat

Does Updating Stereo Hurt Value?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Richard Brophy, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Upgrade the stereo or leave it stock?

1. DO IT!

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. Absolutely Not!

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Richard Brophy

Jan 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Krb5137
    Hey everybody - hoping to pick your collective brains on a quick question...

I have an F430 gated manual with 12k miles on it. I use the car to go on weekend drives when the weather is nice. Although I love the sound of the car, every once in a while I like to play some music when I'm driving through the countryside. The stock stereo sucks...obviously. I'm considering taking time over the winter to upgrade the stereo (new door speakers, new amp and a new sub box from Scudderia Audio).

Here is the question: am I going to devalue the car by performing these upgrades? Although I am obviously driving the car and don't just consider it an investment, I don't want to do anything that will significantly devalue it. On the one hand, I can't imagine anyone "wanting" the stock speakers etc, but I could imagine the value of the car dropping because someone has taken the door cards off etc. to install a new stereo.

My current plan would be to keep the OEM stereo (either installed or in a box) so it could be reinstalled by a subsequent owner if they desire.

Any thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated. Any experience with this issue? I genuinely value your input.

(pics for fun)

Stay safe and well.

R

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Bob in Texas likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Keep it in a box, drive your car as you would want to enjoy it. Forget everybody else or what it's worth. You are not going to be devaluing it.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have just swapped out the stereo on my manual 430 and I couldn’t be happier I did so. For value, as you say, keep the original in a box (and the original speakers and code card) and offer it when selling, and you will find value unaffected.

The general rule is that modifications have to be Easily reversible. So, no new speaker holes, and if you cut up your carpets buyers may be deterred. But if the original stuff can just slot back in (even if nobody would actually do that, why would they), you will be fine.

Enjoy your proper sounds!

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's funny about the radio issue with these cars. First off, they are their own music. Second, most are so darn loud that it would take a monster system just to hear it. Third, at that sound level, you'd have to wear hearing protection to keep from having hearing loss. Fourth, what would be the point then?

Someone paid a lot of money to install a large and powerful system in my car. They put in over 40lbs. of wire along with the other heavy junk that went along with it. The speakers weighed in at nearly 80lbs. with their custom enclosures. In the process, they ruined the B pillars. Unfortunately, the car didn't come with the original radio. I bought one on eBay and sent it to the manufacturer for refit along with an upgrade for bluetooth. Haven't turned it on yet. Car's a heck of a lot lighter though.

So please, if you're going to butcher your car with aftermarket equipment, please do it respectfully so it can be reversed and keep the original parts for the next owner.

5. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    i upgraded my gated f430 and sold it with the oem parts in a box. We used a pulg in harness and didn‘t cut any part of the car. No effect on reslae value and I was able to enjoy bluetooth and nav in the car.

redcaruser, mathewr and carguyjohn350 like this.
  6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Since an original 6speed is really a collectable car as the last manual V8 Ferrari, you want to be able to easily revert back to original. That means no cutting or splicing to put in a new system. With the loudness on these cars, don’t bother upgrading the speakers. Put in a different head unit using a correct plug and keep all the old stuff in a box with the manual, removal keys and radio card for the next owner who may just be looking to add a manual 430 to their collection and want it in original condition.

redcaruser, Jda550911 and EastMemphis like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Agree that I'd only do things that are easily reversible. I did the head unit because the original is unapologetically, trash. I'll keep it in the box for the next guy. A head unit swap wouldn't make me skip a car, but if I saw subwoofers or any other customer work around it I definitely would think twice. The primary reason for swapping out the head unit for me was to add Bluetooth capability in case I get call or need to make a quick call.

redcaruser likes this.
  8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I'll be honest here, if the only reason you are upgrading is to get bluetooth and you ever plan on having a 3rd party exhaust without valves. Skip it. I have bluetooth with my factory radio in my 430 and it's useless because of the engine noise. I have to use my AirPods to have a conversation while driving. This opinion may change when my Klein valved exhaust is installed (it's on order), but with my Fabspeed X-Pipe, you can't hold a conversation. The same thing goes for the navigation. I'm better off using a phone window mount, with my AirPods for the nav voice instructions. Yes I have the factory Nav installed, but that's because I like the option when I have limited cellphone reception which can happen on some remote drives, but with a car like a Ferrari, you need Wayze to know where you can and cannot drive fast.

Red 27 likes this.
  9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Another reason to not upgrade would be entering a concourse event, you will get dinged. To me it is important keeping it stock for show purposes.

Otherwise, I say, remove it, put in what you want and you can always install the OEM when you resell.

SoftwareDrone, redcaruser and Red 27 like this.
  10. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I want to take my stereo out of my car. I could care less the resale I'm in it for the long haul

11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I have Fabspeed headers, and the vacuum lines are disconnected. I won't say it's easy to hear, but it's not awful either. Just a lot easier if I need to call my wife and see if she needs anything from the store before I come home, or if I get a call I can answer it real quick. Also, if I take a long trip, cruising in 6th gear wouldn't be much of an issue. On the trip from Arizona to Texas I had my Bose QC35, but I never felt comfortable driving with headphones on, and eventually the battery on the headphones died. As a bonus, my head unit comes with a phone holder attachment which comes in handy. So yes, if you are trying to have a conversation under heavy shifting/driving it's not much good; but if you're cruising, IMO it's better than not having it, and safer than wearing headphones while driving.

redcaruser and Jda550911 like this.
  12. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I spent a great deal on a stereo upgrade. The original was shot, staticky, poor reception and no Bluetooth or Apple car play. The speaker cones were rotted. 15 yr old F430. Upgrade replaced all speakers and head unit, added everything modern and made it feel like a modern high tech car. Cruising in 6th below 3500 rpm I can hear everything well. The phone mic is a noise cancelling one so no background noise. I added sound deadening to the doors and had speaker enclosures built behind the original door panel. It looks totally original except for the head unit with has a 7 in screen that fits below the a/c vents. Everything original is in a box and it can be converted back to original, but I have to ask-- who in their right mind would want that? If anything, I think it increases the value, enjoyment and usability of the car especially with the front and rear cameras. I know if I were buying the car or one like it I would pay extra to have what I have installed professionally, but this is me. Here is a link as to what was done

13. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Save the original and put in what you want. Since you have a unicorn(gated), I think you need not worry about a negative price impact. However for the purist, which includes people like yours truely, keep the original radio so it can be swapped back.

redcaruser likes this.
  14. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    I upgraded my amp that fits under the dash and new Focal 6 inch speakers in the doors (no cutting) with two new subs to replace the existing in the centre unit.
    Got it all from Mike at Scuderia Audio.
    The uprated amp and speakers are amazing, all fits as original, just have to return the old amp to Mike.
    Everything fitted perfectly.
    The sound is awesome now, powerful and sharp.
    Only listen to music on long journeys as the exhaust note is preferred most of the time with my Fabspeed headers..

redcaruser, Red 27 and honda corse like this.
  15. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Mike @ Scuderia Audio is a superb human being. I originally tried his hifi replacement speakers which I hated. So he said send them back for full credit, no questions asked.... I promptly upgraded to their super amp and JL sub enclosure. Beautiful quality and sound. Hands down one of the best vendors I've dealt with in the car community. This is a man that stands behind his word!

netsec, Paul Kane, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  16. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    I will be upgrading my system with a Kenwood Deck, Focal Components, JL Audio Sub/s and amp. Top of the line. There will be a custom in closure in between the seats against the rear wall. It will look factory to 99% of people who look at it. There will also still be the correct amount of room on each side for the Schedoni Luggage Set. The stereo is not that great in the car so it must go. I will however make sure nothing is cut and all factory parts including the radio code card stay with the car.

17. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    redcaruser likes this.
  18. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    For sure upgrade it. I love the sound of my exhaust, but, music is always a necessity.

Paul Kane likes this.
  19. Dphotos

Dphotos Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Southern California
    This page might be older but I have a question. I am thinking of putting a new radio in my manual 430. The stock radio is just about the worst system I have ever seen. Why does a company that produces a nice sports car use such a horrible system? The manual is as think as a novel. I do not need anything too fancy. Just a screen for Apple car play, new speakers, small amp and I want to use the screen for a back up camera. I think everyone knows backing up a 430 is a pain in the neck. Does anyone have a recommendation for a car stereo system that is from 2023 or 2024?