Advice on purchasing a CPO 812? | FerrariChat

Advice on purchasing a CPO 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SecretSquirrari, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    I've found a CPO 812 that is pretty close to what I would have spec'ed if I were going to buy one new. Giving serious consideration to pulling the trigger. It would be my first Ferrari.

What do I need to know about the car before buying? What do I need to look for when checking it out? Are there any options that are must-haves? What about options to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have...

2. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    I’d say its people, people, people, and people.

1st key: Previous owner(s). That’s probably the biggest determining factor of the real condition of the car.
    2nd key: The seller. Can you trust them 100% and what kind of service can you expect post sale?
    3rd key: An independent and competent inspection. One can tell a lot but you need expert inspector.
    4th key: Previous caretaker(s). Having been taken care of by people that are skilled and care about the car maximize your chances of a great car.

tomc likes this.
  3. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Make sure you have tried out the seats?

Electric are comfy and the CF Race Seats hold you much better and offer a bit more head room.
    It’s a trade off. No right or wrong answer, just find what is right for you.

There is plenty of information about the 812 on FC about options and reviews.

Nothing like a V12 Ferrari.

Have fun.

Jon Christy and SecretSquirrari like this.
  4. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks - I'll definitely try both seat types before making a decision. Right now, pending a sit down, electric seats are on my gotta have list, along with the suspension lifter. Also want list includes advance front driving camera, High power Hi-Fi system, and Carbon Fiber steering wheel with LEDs. Bonus points for Adaptive front headlights and passenger display. And I'd like to avoid external carbon fiber bits as it seems to me like they will increase both initial purchase price and repair costs down the road.

5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The adaptive headlights will come automatically with the suspension lifted. Your other options you’d like are all good choices. I have all of them on my 812 (except my LED wheel is leather wrapped instead of CF). The suspension lifter isn’t as necessary as I thought it might be. It’s nice to have as a just in case, but not needed for the vast majority of driveways in encounter.

The upgraded stereo is a must, and is great with CarPlay. I enjoy the stereo quite a lot. Passenger display is a fun toy to keep passengers thrilled on thrill rides. If you have CarPlay, the only thing the screen is going to do is display performance stuff. It can’t control media, or gps for CarPlay.

The upgraded comfort seats are very nice. You’ll be able to get it to a perfect position that is comfortable. I’m 6’4” and have no clearance issues anywhere with the electric seat. The carbon buckets are nice, but some people complain they get less comfortable on longer drives.

The 812 is a high watermark for Ferrari in my opinion. You will get out of it after a few hours of driving, turn around and want to get right back in for another round. I’ve had my 812 since mid august and am hovering just below 7000 miles. I drive it every chance I get, and always get out with a big smile. The sound that comes out of the exhaust is purely sublime. If you haven’t driven the 812 yet, you need to. And then you won’t leave the dealer without it lol

6. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Awesome, thanks. It will be my daily driver year round, so I expect to get a lot of enjoyment out of it (as I should, at these prices!). I haven't driven one yet - I want to get all my ducks in a row before selecting a car and going to the seller (probably a dealer, since I'm looking for CPO) because I agree with you when you say that I'm unlikely to leave without one once I get there. :)

I had a question about CarPlay - I've seen conflicting reports about whether that's included, a separate ($4000!) option, or possibly comes with the high-power stereo. It's a nice to have, not a necessity for me.

7. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    CarPlay is an option, it isn’t included with the high power stereo. If the original buyer didn’t spec CarPlay, it won’t have it. CarPlay is a must have option for me, it drastically improves the infotainment from the right screen

8. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Darn, that's what I was afraid of. I'd like to have it, but so far I'm not seeing it on many of the cars I find otherwise appealing. But I'll keep looking.

9. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Since the 812 doesn’t have a touch screen, I find CarPlay less useable. Send over a link of your thoughts and perhaps others will chime in.

10. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    The car is max 3 years old... I think you’re exaggerating a bit.

Napoli likes this.
  11. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    I hadn't though about the lack of touch-screen control, that's a good call out. I'd be using it for two things. Foremost would be control of music playing from the phone, and I can get around that pretty easily. The other would be using the nav on the phone, probably Waze, rather than the build-in nav. But there are ways around that, too. So while I'd like it, I'm not going to let it stop me from getting a car that's other wise a good fit to my needs and tastes.

12. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    No touchscreen is still there with or without CarPlay. and CarPlay in my opinion is still easier to use with either the right hand dials or the dials behind the wheel. Behind the steering wheel you have a dial on the left that controls volume and the right moves the right screen selector. You get used to using it.

Overall I’m also a CarPlay stickler, it makes an infotainment system very easy to use

sampelligrino likes this.
  13. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd

Sorry, but what does "CPO" stand for?
    Thanks

Dubaicity likes this.
  14. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Certified Pre-Owned - a used car that the manufacturer will stand behind. Varies between manufacturers, but generally it means the car has not been in an accident (to their knowledge), has been properly maintained, and has passed a detailed inspection and has no flaws beyond normal wear.

15. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Generally it also means it received any services it needed after the inspection. I also think (and don't quote me on this), buying CPO cars with Ferrari counts towards your Ferrari Points (the game we play for allotments). Not as much as ordering a new car, but I believe it does count for something in their eyes.

SecretSquirrari likes this.
  16. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Good to know - thanks.

17. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If there's anything you want to know about the 812, feel free to shoot me a message. I'm happy to answer any questions.

18. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    It depends on one’s view on risk. It’s low probability to run into an 812 in bad conditions. However, the probability of running into less than 100% transparent sellers/transactions are higher IMO.

19. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks, I appreciate it as I approach my largest ever (by site a bit) non-domicile purchase.

My only question at the moment is if there is a downloadable PDF of the 812 owner's manual available anywhere - I find that reading those can both answer existing questions and trigger new ones that need to be addressed.

20. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/812-superfast-manual-in-pdf.592179/

21. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    junc likes this.
  22. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My 2020 Porsche DD came with CarPlay standard and I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it. Frankly I only use it to stream music from Amazon and other Apps but the system is slow and it does not always reflect all of the songs in my playlists. I tried the voice activated texting application and it worked but was slow as well. Could be my unit is defective.

23. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    It works well with Spotify for me, but I have noticed it doesn’t show all the songs in a playlist. It will play them if you start the playlist, so I’m not sure why it does that.

As for slow voice texting, I’ve only noticed it being slow when I’m in bad cell coverage. If I have good cell coverage it’s usually pretty fast

24. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
  25. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name: