What should and should not be done? | FerrariChat

What should and should not be done?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CrapsLuckyDice, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 CrapsLuckyDice, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    I've made up my mind that I will be keeping my 458 spider for a very long time. However that being said, I still want to know what are things that should never really be done to a Ferrari such that it would absolutely destroy the value of the car in case I want to trade or get another car. I will list some items that I'd like to get feedback on:

Repainting the car
    I have a couple of annoying chips and primarily in the front bumper and maybe even smaller ones here and there. My car is white, but my understanding is to never ever paint or even consider touching up your car. So what can I do? I mean, while I don't mind getting carbon fiber aftermarket parts, I'm not really in love with any aftermarket front bumpers. So what are your thoughts on this?

Aftermarket Carbon fiber vs Ferrari Carbon fiber
    I have heard of a couple of brands or possibly resellers: Ricambi, Scorpione, Carbonfiberco, Capristo, MAcarbon, Exoticcargear, etc. First not sure which are the best companies. Next, should I even consider these or just simply go for Ferrari Carbon fiber installed? Finally do I have to keep all the OEM parts that I replace? Potentially it could be a lot and I really don't feel like storing them somewhere as I don't necessarily have all that room to do so.

Speciale F1 center console
    I absolutely love this! But it is an unique add I understand. So stick with regular carbon fiber interior or add this? I know very few companies even make this.

Aftermarket Exhaust
    The Fi Exhaust with blue tips are amazing, but again, should I do this? I'd love get a bit more oomph and I just love how the blue tips will go with a potential carbon fiber rear diffusor. Thoughts?

Front or Rear body kits
    From places like DarwinPro or Vorsteiner. Are these just too unique?

Lift Kits
    My Ferrari didn't come with a lift. That being said, I'm potentially interested in having one put in. I think the
    KW Suspension got good reviews. Again, not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Rims
    Also meant to add what about changing rims and/or powder coating my existing rims?

Again, I get some of these are just considered way too personal, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Repainting, lift kits and rims would all be deal breakers for me. And bad carbon fiber, I have seen a car with an after market engine bay, and it was brown tinted. Feel so bad for that guy.

If you've made up your mind that you are keeping it, who cares! Just do whatever you want. If you want a different color, why not wrap it and see if you like it?

3. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Regarding the wrap, I was told my own dealership never to wrap. They were telling me if I really wanted a new color to have them paint it.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Nonsense. If you are keeping the car forever- do what you feel is best. Yes it might hurt resale but who cares. Enjoy the car and do to the car what gives you enjoyment.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    That’s what I’m doing. If you don’t like it.......Oh, it’s not for sale anyway.

ShadowLAP and SoCal to az like this.
  6. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    As long as you can revert your car back to stock configuration should you ever choose to sell you should be fine. I’ve done some CF mods and aftermarket wheels but I have all the original parts in storage. Likely never selling the car though.

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    your car, your money. if you do worry about resale, then don't do anything. Just FYI, the speciale center console is oem as well, they can be retrofit to italia.

8. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Repainting - had the same issue with paint chips (I'm the 4th owner). Every time I washed the car, it drove me nuts looking at the bumper and a few spots just above it. Took my spider to a well-known shop one of my Porsche buddies recommended and they advised me not to paint it saying it would devalue the car. Decided to have the front resprayed elsewhere & Xpel'd the new paint. The car just looks so much better - couldn't be happier and personally, if I were in the market for another mid-engined Fcar, I'd much rather have a pristine-looking ride than "original paint" with eye-catching stone chips.

9. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Regarding the brownish hue carbon fiber engine bay. Was this something you saw in person or through photos? If through photos is it possible that the photo had some kind of filter on it? My engine bay has aftermarket carbon fiber (MyRicambi) and there is no brown hue. Do you happen to recall which company the CF came from?

10. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    These beauties were built to be driven and enjoyed..... Do whatever u want... Just keep enjoying it to the max.... Life is too short

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

rob5819 and RoadRonin like this.
  11. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Well said.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The dealer sure has no problem re-spraying parts of their cars prior to putting them on the showroom floor and selling them to you, so I don't see why you should have any different view. I'd suggest trying touch up paint first and if that doesn't work, find a super qualified body shop and re-spray the panel. Ask the dealer which shop they use; they will usually tell you. Anyone talking about "that's a deal breaker" needs a little bit of a reality check - it's a car, not the Mona Lisa.

You want to call and ask if they are actually manufacturing the carbonfiber parts on the premisses or if they are re-selling another company's parts. I have used CF parts from Tubi and also Carbonio. Carbonio in particular has exceptionally good quality CF parts in my experience. As far as "should you", I think a lot depends on which parts you are talking about. Myself, I try to always adhere to the "form follows function" standard. In other words, if CF will provide superior strength or weight savings, then I would consider it. But if it's just for looks, sometimes maybe not so much. I mean, I like CF and Titanium a lot, but I also think people can sort of go overboard with it also.

This is where I start to get a little wigged out: when I see someone take a part from the Speciale and try to make their Italia into something it isn't. I'm not saying don't do it, but for me personally that always makes me wince a little bit. Kinda like putting Speciale wheels on you Italia or like bolting on a Speciale front bumper. You have to be really careful with that or you can quickly end up producing a bastard child.

If you are over the age of 30, I vote no on the blue tips. I know I sound like my father here, but in my experience after market exhaust systems make the 458 uncomfortably loud usually. Not always, but sometimes. Raw Titanium tips are my personal preference and/or maybe carbon fiber. Just my personal preference.

Okay, I should have read your entire message before replying... if you are considering a body kit, just ignore all my input above lol

Bag that mofo... why not go all in? Who cares if it handles; you gotta think about stance right? Slam that beotch to the ground, that's what I say.

Dude, do it. Don't even worry about the added weight. Your clutch can totally handle it.

Buy a lambo...

Ray

wthensler likes this.
  13. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ray,
    Appreciate your post. Wish I could have said all this in person, you would see then I am in no way shape or form trying to act "cool" or make this into some weirdo piece of garbage. I want what is tastefully done. So let me just explain:

1. I'll well over 30, 44 to be exact. Regarding the exhaust, I'm mainly looking for the pops and gurgles. Honestly the best sounding car I've ever owned was a Eurotuned AMG GTS with catless downpipes, and mind you that's a twin turbo. That thing sounded absolutely gorgeous. It's sorta of like trying to replicate that same sound but with a little more touch on the outsdie.

2. When I mean kits, I'm not talking like a Liberty Walk or crazy thing to just show off. I meant purely just a diffusor kit or possibly a front end. If anything I'm leaning towards just staying stock but getting the in CF simply because I've always found CF to simply be beautiful to look at. Weight savings is nice, but I'm not someone who tracks my car. This is more beauty over form for me.

3. When I'm talking about a lift, I'm absolutely NOT trying to lower it anymore. I mean, as a proper lift. My driveway sucks and I've scraped more than a few bumpers in my life because of that regardless of how I try to pull out, although I've gotten much better at it over the years I've owned the house.

4. Rims. I'm not looking for something outrageous. Rather I'm simply talking about potentially replacing them down the line with something different of which I have absolutely no clue yet.

5. I've owned a Huracan. I hate it for the life of me. Too small and uncomfortable to sit in for anything over 20min. I absolutely hate the type of attention that gets because it seems to attract everyone - and not usually the good sort.

I'm not trying to change my Ferrari into anything but a keep it as a Ferrari, just with some tasteful mods, and possibly some legitimate useful features (like a lift). And, I'm not going to rice this car up lol.

up4speed, RayJohns and RoadRonin like this.
  14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    1. The stock 458 exhaust should give you a bit of that. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not later ECU updates may reduce this to some degree (I personally don't know either way, but I always told the dealer "don't update the ECU or mess with the software unless you are planning on buying it"). I was always very happy with the stock exhaust and this comes from someone who has no problem modifying or swapping exhaust systems. I'd say give the stock exhaust a chance and see what you think.

2. I'm with you on how nice CF (especially matte CF) looks. I like a touch here and there also.

3. My 458 did not have a lift and I never missed it. What the car did have (which was installed by the previous owner) was a skid plate up front. At first, I was not thrilled to find this had been installed when the car arrived from the dealer (some 3 states away). However, with use, I really grew to love it and ultimately I feel it's a much better solution than having a lift on the coilovers. I would suggest adding a front skid plate. Less to fail (as far as the hydraulics) and it's always there when you need it, without having to push buttons or slow down, etc.

4. I would suggest researching weights. The factory diamond cut wheels (or any of the forged factory wheels) are very high quality and super light. Unless you are going to go with something super exotic, I would say stick to the factory forged wheels. If you have the base stock wheels, then okay sure; but if you already have factory forged wheels, those are hard to beat actually.

5. I hear ya. You couldn't give me the best Lamborghini for free. I was just making a joke more than anything else :)

I would say give the 458 a chance and see what you think. It takes a while for the 458 to grow on you; but once it does, it's a great car. I'd seriously look into a high quality front skid plate. That will make the car even that much more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis.

Ray

CrapsLuckyDice likes this.
  15. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe

Genuinely curious how a skid plate helps anything.

If I’m worried about height, I’m concerned about either scraping areas that are visible from normal views or cracking the entire bumper. What does the skid plate do? Just prevents scratches on the underside that can’t be seen anyway? So you’re trading scratches for a plate?

or am I misunderstanding. Genuine question.

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The skid plate is a sacrificial bit that can be easily and cheaply changed with a screwdriver. Most potential buyers want to see pictures of the underside so having it appear clean is a plus.

RayJohns likes this.
  17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, I totally understand where you are coming from. I felt the same way prior to actually having one on the 458.

So the 458 actually has pretty great ground clearance, even without any lift system. It's only occasionally that you make a slight contact with the front underside of the bumper. As long as you aren't going wheeling with the Ferrari, most of the time you just need a slight helping hand over a flat surface. So the skid plate basically provides that. It gives a strong, flat surface, which you can skate the car along, which accomplishes all you ever really need. The plates are usually made from 1/4 or 3/8 ABS, so you have plenty of material down there to scrap over the occasional driveway. Doesn't phase the skid plate or the car at all.

I personally think it's a better solution than the lift system. Everyone with a lift will tell you otherwise; everyone with a skid plate will tell you the opposite. It's just which approach (get it, approach?) you prefer :)

Ray