355 - F355 Full Suspension Wishbone Rebuild Should I go OE Style of PowerFlex? | FerrariChat

355 F355 Full Suspension Wishbone Rebuild Should I go OE Style of PowerFlex?

Discussion in '348/355' started by AutoFanaticF355, Dec 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I tore my entire car down yesterday and today as my winter project of finally restoring the shocks, coil springs, hardware and wishbones and other stuff. The removal was not too hard except 1 bolt was seized and two nuts which was torture let alone the aluminum shock collar adjusters but all is safely off and I just need to order some new bolts from dealer.I was serious to consider the Powerflex due to the increase feel and ease of installation. I am honestly a bit afraid to press the OE style in after these are freshly refinished wishbones. I never once had noise issues using Poly bushes because I know how to grease and install them

Was talking to few techs today they do not see how the Powerflex would affect the ride much since the wishbones only move on one axis really. What do you guys think and know from experience? Car is a street driven car and rides nicely now however the worn dry rotted OEM bushes needed to go it just bothered me.

I need to decide ASAP on which direction I am going. I will be ordering from Superformance UK either way. the OE style is about $140 more cost upfront and a PITA to install.

If anyone can comment on bushings and experience let me know I want to get the best ones for my car and needs not some cheap knock offs and I know the PowerFlex should really increase the cars handling for sure.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Not sure where you found those techs, but to say they only move in one axis is not true. They will move in all three axis.

As to which bush, I have no experience of the difference on either of my Ferraris, only older classics and they were too harsh. Id suggest if you are happy with the ride at the moment stick with oem. They are far easier to press in than get out!!!!!

When I did mine I also gad the arms powder coated and the forks re.plated. Made a nice job.

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Don't have experience on Ferraris but do on older 911's, and for a street car I would use rubber for several reasons: greater durability, zero maintenance, less NVH, and poly bushings can make a car ride terribly while offering no material performance benefit for a street-driven car.

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #4 Jackie and bill, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    I have power flex all round on mine. Fitted them about two year ago.
    Hardest bit was removing the original bushes from the arms. I used my press for that.
    Top tip, use plenty of silicone lubricant, the bit of lube they give you in the power flex kits is not enough. The lube/silicone is only used to stop the bushes from squeaking once your on the road, and they will squeak if you have not lubricated them all over.
    Regarding the bolts, I replated mine due to wanting to keep the original horse embossed ones.
    The car feels and handles great, should have done this years ago.
    I hope this helps.

5. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    thanks for sharing feedback are there any negatives of these bushings since you have them for a while? Do you notice a nice increase in handling and confidence versus the worn out OEM bushes? Did you notice any ride quality changes? My 355 rides so comfy not very in line with a Ferrari sports car of its day so I would not mind firming things up a bit but not causing the car to shake and rattle. Post photos if you have on your car. I am leaning towards these and there so easy to install versus if I go OEm style il break ass pressing them out and most likely damage the refinished wishbones which would be costly once again.

6. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    There is no extra firmness or harshness. The car feels no different from a standard car with new standard bushes. The only standard new bushes are the ones on the shocks. Also new top shock mounts as well as engine mounts.

Attached Files:

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Poly flex is a polyurethane bushing. It is the next step up in performance. NHV (noise harshness vibration) is the felt "yuk" we don't like in streetcars. Rubber is the best insulator for that. Rubber does not last forever. Aging rubber makes for bad things like inconsistent dynamic alignment settings. Race Performance is inversely proportional to NHV. So the best race peformance goes...spherical bearings (aka monoballs), delrin bushings, polyU bushings, rubber bushings. Best NHV goes the opposite. So you need to pick what is important to you and live with the compromises after doing your homework. For example poly U is a performance upgrade from rubber but it squeaks as the lubrication changes. Delrin is harder to manufacture and wears faster but is self lubricating and does not squeek but feels more harsh because it's durometer is higher. Sphericals have the least stichion and allows off axis movement the best but any wear tolerances that open up make lots of noise. There is no free lunch.

ShineKen and Qavion like this.
  8. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Myself , I stuck to the standard bushing on my road car. Fitted plenty of Poly bushes over the years but mainly to track cars. Not a big fan on the road though. As said above can be harsh and need periodic lubrication maintenance.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Rubber for street cars.

10. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Reading the posts above, I must conclude that even though the poly bushes that I actually have on my car. The real world fact though they have never needed maintenance in the two years of fitting, and have given a great feel and ride. I must be lying so please ignore my feed back.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    your selection may suit you just fine. If PU was the bomb oem’s would use it. They don’t. It’s a bag of compromises for good reasons.

12. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Like I said, I was lying ok.

13. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I don't think anyone here is lying. The above comments are individual opinions. Some made by very experienced people in the field. Some not maybe. Speaking from a lifetime in spannering, a lot of that spent around performance tuning including chassis mods, wheel alignments etc. my conclusions are drawn from customer feedback and personal experience. At the end of the day if your happy with your cars performance thats great. We are all in it together..:)

14. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Hey, as always I will leave it with you experts. All knowing and all that ;)

15. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Know it all ? Definitely no. Have an experienced opinion? Of course. As you have.:);)

16. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    :rolleyes: let it ****ing go now why dont you, you win.
    And I said "all knowing" not "know it all". Learn to ****ing read