360 cranks but won't start | FerrariChat

360 cranks but won't start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pitmanphoto, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Any help would be great. I here different opinions on the immobilizer some say it won't crank and some say it will crank. 2004 has been parked for at least a month on a battery maintainer. Engine cranks fine and there is fuel in both rales but won't start. also will it start with one of the doors open? Does the immobilizer shut spark? Thank you!!!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    2004 360 F1?

If you're getting conflicting answers about the immobiliser and cranking, then there may be immobiliser variations (as there are on the F355 for cranking). The Workshop Manual does specifically say that the immobiliser inhibits "ignition/injection" but I couldn't find anything in there regarding the inhibiting of cranking by the immobiliser. However, I would expect an F1 system cranking inhibit, as you wouldn't want the motor to turn over without the F1 system being in neutral during start. The F355 does this.

The driver's door switch does have an input to the immobiliser and the F1 system, but there was only a reference in the WSM to the F1 gearbox going into neutral with the driver's door open under certain circumstances.

Assuming your flashing F1 warning light extinguishes after 10 seconds, I think I would focus on the Motronic ECUs not getting the required signals for fuel/ignition (crank sensors, immobiliser system, etc).

Experts?

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    A 360 will put itself into neutral and turn over but not start if the key fob button has NOT been pushed. 355 needs to be put in neutral before trying to start it.
    360 may shut the spark and injector firing. Having fuel doesn't mean it is firing the injector.
    You may need to seek a professional with the proper diagnostic tools to "look" at things.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Just the obvious but have you cycled the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob just before attempting to start. The immobilizer will allow the engine to crank but will not start without pushing the unlock button right before the starting attempt.

5. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    yes i tried both ways but no difference

6. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Thank you every one for the responses! When i get back to town I will get back on it and update everyone! Thanks again

7. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    just a quick update there is 50 lbs in both fuel rails i pulled 1 coil and put my spark tester on coil and have no spark and it is an f1 thanks for any help!!

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. According to the Workshop Manual, if you have fuel pressure, this means that the engine ECUs are receiving crank sensor data. A greater than 40 rpm signal from the crank sensors is required for pump operation according to the manual. Looking at the wiring diagrams, the crank sensors share the same power as the injectors and coils (i.e. via the same ECU-controlled power relays). However, it seems that the ECUs are still not providing the earth signals directly to the ignition coils or fuel injectors to activate them.

There still seems to be a common fault which is affecting both engine ECUs. The immobiliser may still be the problem ... or some common power problem which I haven't been able to find yet. Time to call in the experts?

9. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    Thank you everyone for the help!! I will update as soon as I have this resolved

Qavion likes this.
  10. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    a few more questions if anyone might know, looks like the 360 has 2 engine control modules and it seems like I'm not communicating with the right side. The left side shows immobilizer active, does it need to see the right side before it will show inactive? Also my scanner shows to gearbox versions and i can only communicate with version 1 can it be my scanner? i am using a autel but looks like the scanner has the software thanks anyone

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have a PM

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    U dont have the trunk or hood open right?

Also step on the brake pedal with all your weight- the brake pedal sensors go.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What reader are you using? With the Foxwell, and I'm guessing some other models, the immobilizer needs to be disabled before it can connect to the right side ECU.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Doesn't the F1 system use the same switch as the brake lights? (#11) The switch should be activated long before the pedal reaches the floor.

Won't these inhibit cranking?

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not sure but i had this happen in my 360 and my 430. literally needed to stand on the brake pedal with all my weight

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange, probably a better technique would be to release the brake pedal quickly to shake the switch, then apply the brake again... or hit the switch with a hammer to make the spring loaded plunger come out :D

I've been unable to find a link to the F1 system in the wiring diagrams. There are a few errors in the in the Ferrari diagrams. The only possible link I can see at the moment is via the engine management system .... switch >>> lots of plugs and splices>>> engine ECU >>> CAN bus >>> F1 TCU. Sounds unlikely though.