Roma PPF new delivery | FerrariChat

Roma PPF new delivery

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by HTXatty, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HTXatty

HTXatty Rookie

Dec 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Omar
    First Ferrari and plan to keep it. What are your thoughts on PPF/paint correction/window tint? Dealer has offered to have PPF completed before delivery. Full clear bra or just front and hood? We have major rock chips and other debris flying around on Houston roads so I am also getting a quote on PPF for the windshield, dealer said it’s not advisable. Taking delivery of Nero Daytona in a few weeks. What to expect at closing? Any up sell of warranties etc?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would do full for the peace of mind. Then drive the wheels off it. Congrats on the new Roma...T

SL%%, AD211 and russellmcg like this.
  3. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    it’s up to you on warranty.
    I’m in Houston and advise full PPF.
    Congrats !

russellmcg likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, what Tom said. Also make sure they include the headlights and side view mirrors.

The dealer will probably charge you more since they will make a commission from whoever they farm it out to. The advantage is it gets done before you even put it on the road. The last thing you want is to get a chip before you get it to your guy. I bought my 612 out in Cleveland and I'm in Boston. The dealer charged the same price, but I really wanted my guy here to do it. However, I was driving the car back and I wasn't going to take the chance of getting a chip on the way home. The dealer's guy did an excellent job, over 7 years and 40,000 miles later and it still looks perfect.

5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats!
    I vote PPF
    All my Ferrari's are Nero D!
    Post some PICS and....
    Enjoy the RIde!

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Congrats. You can extend the factory bumper to bumper warranty to a total of five years but you don't have to do it until just before the original warranty expires.

You might consider a wheel/tire warranty if it will cover any curb rash as well as just damaged rims from potholes, etc., but in my experience, wheel warranties on Ferraris are too expensive to be worth it.

I would wrap the entire car, but not sure I'd let the dealer do it, I'd want to see how good the work is on another car first. I had a sub-standard wrap done on my first California by a local shop with a terrific reputation, numerous visible seams and edges. The paint should be corrected first, and the wrap should be done with no evidence that it's even on the car. Since you have one of the first Romas, you really want someone excellent to do the car, but look at another Ferrari they've done to see how their work measures up.

Nero Daytona is a great color, never looks dirty the way regular black does.

7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Did the dealer advise you to NOT put PPE on the windshield? Why not?

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I thought I read that some folks had issues with radio reception, radar detectors, toll tags and such...T

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you wrap a black car, there are two things to keep in mind.

1. You need the absolutely most transparent film there is i.e Suntek.

2. You should never, and I mean NEVER wrap a black car without getting a full paint correction.

If you wrap on top of the usual low quality Ferrari paint job, not only will all the imperfections be trapped under the film, it enhances them. I have ppf on my black Lusso and even with its triple layer paint done by Zanasi, a full correction was needed. The Nero Daytona is a normal twin layer done at the factory, so it will need correction.

What ever you do, don't let them use 3M film. Not only does it yellow over time, 3M is notorious for peeling paint when removed - especially when applied to relatively new cars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AD211 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My guess is because it does not really work, and it hazes the windshield. I've had a few different types, and none of them worked worth a damn. They did however make visibility crap in bright sunlight.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Never had any such issues. I got exactly the usual types of chips in the glass as without and even the best of them greatly affect visibility. Save your money.

tomc likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never looks clean like regular black either:D

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I realize everyone has their favorites of products they have used, but to tell someone not to use 3M is flat out wrong. See post #4, that is 3M film.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You have to be careful about talking in absolutes simply because you had a different personal experience. Google this issue and you will find people have had reception problems with windshield film.

15. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    As Gilda Radner would say, "It's always something!"

Nospinzone likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's nothing wrong with advising someone against what I have seen cause problems. I think 3M is a poor choice compared to XPel and Suntek for a number of reasons.

Secondly, to advise someone to wrap the headlights? So you're not familiar with the fact that you run a risk of matting, delaminating or yellowing the headlights with PPF, as the lens can react with the adhesive? Before you tell me my advice is wrong, I suggest that you look into your own. You may find that you have not experienced problems with PPF on the headlights, but it is common, and a good installer would only do it if the client insisted and took full responsibility. Some car manufactures like Porsche will actually void the warranty on your headlights for doing it.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Perhaps. But as far as what the issues go, I've done it on a few cars now, and I've never seen such issues. I know people report it, but neither me nor my installer has seen it actually happen. As for the poor window clarity? That's something I know of first hand.

18. Scott Lively

Scott Lively Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott L
    I had full front protection on my 458 and I did a full wrap on my F12. The advantage of a full wrap comes down to an easier wash along with full sap/bird crap protection. A full wrap is $3k more and I doubt you will ever regret it.

tomc, AD211 and Quietriot like this.
  19. adabbagh

adabbagh Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ahmad
    Windshield protection can get a little tricky as you would need to change the windshield protection every year or so (wiper blades wear it out). If you take your car to a track frequently may be worth it, I personally opted out.

I also would recommend the full PPF as I have applied it to my Cali T.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Full PPF on F8 and 812. I followed up with Ceramic although some don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Definitely go full PPF before you drive it and let the PPF company decide how much paint correction is needed before they wrap it. You only get one chance here!

22. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    We did full ppf on our 2020 Nero Daytona Portofino. The difference in cost of full vs front hood and quarter panels was like $2500. My wife is getting an Aston Martin DBX in the Spring and we’re doing full ppf on that as well.

23. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I did a full PPF and paint correction. The car is now 6 years old and I removed the old film and put on new wrap on as the old one had done it’s job and aged and looked bad.

This time around I went with premium shield for the clarity. I have had Xpel before. It seem stronger but it lacked clarity of premium-shield. The premium shield kinda always feels “soft” a bit more gummy even maybe. But it really has excellent clarity and shapes well.

I will go premium shield again on my next car over Xpel having had both.

Monsieur Yoge and SLViper1 like this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Beauty. I have read that removing PPF can be tricky. Any issues with that in your case?
    T

25. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    No my removal went well with no paint damage at all.

They used an industrial steamer and did it over 2 days. Slowly slowly does the job ...... basically you pull it towards you so as not to put tension on the paint and “stretch” it off.

I’d look for a shop that does exotics and then chat to the guys who will work on the car. You will soon get a feel for if they know what they talking about.

tomc likes this.