One year with a 599 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One year with a 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by spirot, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hi Inadeje,

Just some clarification regarding the points you wrote as quoted above:

1) The last Pininfarina-designed V12 Ferrari was not the 599 but the F12, even though Flavio Manzoni (Centro Stile) was also involved and collaborated. In the name of Ferrari, Flavio Manzoni accepted the Compasso D'Oro award for the design and technology of the F12 in 2014. Regardless if you look at any picture of the F12's sides, you'll see the Pininfarina badge visible on the front fender panel just in front of the doors.

2) The actual 599 lead designer at Pininfarina was Jason Castriota. Frank Stephenson's last design at Ferrari was the F430, though he was also involved in designing the 612 and the FXX.

mrp_e likes this.
  2. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

Da Butcher, thanks for correcting those points. While was convinced that the F12 was an in-house design, I stand corrected. Regarding Stevenson, he wasn’t the lead designer, but are you sure he wasn’t involved in the 599 design? He appears as part of the design group at the time and I believe he has commented on his involvement, however minor.

3. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    George Vosburgh, Inadeje and 599_GTO like this.
  4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know about the signature, but wasn't Ken Okuyama the main designer of the 599 and 612?

5. Tripper

Tripper Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Buford, GA
    Full Name:
    Trip Campbell
    Tom, great to hear your enthusiasm and even better to see you enjoying it locally. Saw you in passing at this year's Petit during the last couple of night racing hours. Come see me at The Dog House next time your at Road Atlanta!

6. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    599_GTO and EP328 like this.
  7. mr2guysingh

mr2guysingh Rookie

Apr 1, 2006
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    There are quite a few threads here, search is your friend. I believe the only major issues are the leaking shocks and sticky interior buttons but I am not an expert. Only suggestion I would have is to look for a 2008+ model so that you can fully upgrade it to HGTE specs if you ever feel like it. Again search for HGTE upgrade and you will find what I am talking about. Cheers!

Texas Forever and mr2guysingh like this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In 2008 for USA the OBD2 standard was quite improved so you can get more diagnostic data too.

George Vosburgh and mr2guysingh like this.
  10. mr2guysingh

mr2guysingh Rookie

Apr 1, 2006
    Thank you guys! I will keep doing my research. So far it seems if you don't drive it much - you get the most amount of problems. Luckily for me, I love driving! :D

ZINGARA 250GTL likes this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm a big Mercedes fan and I've been driving them now for 40 years. They are truly great but not that special even in the configuration you are looking at. If you want a car that is fairly unique, beautiful (much more than the CLK), powerful, and just a thrill to drive, you want the 599. The one you posted at Marshall's looks very nice! I also have mine in black, currio.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So far I have had no issues to speak of that have kept me from using the car. I try to drive it as much as I can- ( Right now I'm playing with a 93 RR that I just bought - but that will wear off soon) ... the 599 is just a great car, I forget sometimes how much power there is! It' is a Bit$& to keep clean!!! the diffuser really sucks up dust grime and puts it all over the rear number... always clean that vs. the rest of the car! I should have done paint protection covering before I drove it home but did not so I have lots of small chips on the front spoiler and on the brake duct below the door....

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    IMHO, cross shopping a 599 GTB vs a CLK63 BS is not an even or a close comparison.

I've been driving MB's since '93 (27 years now and started with a 300CD family coupè) and currently have an '07 SL55-AMG as daily driver for the last 13 years (75k miles now). I've had an '11 599 HGTE for two years now (plus an '07 599 GTB for a year prior) and I can vouch that Ferraris' mode of driving or raison d'être (which challenges any drivers' know-how and ability) is the anti-thesis of MB sporty models which are aimed at luxury GT cruising for hours on end without experiencing driver's fatigue.

No comparison at all, although the SLS63-AMG Gullwing models are fantastically classic (fully AMG designed and built in Affalterbach and will most probably appreciate in future value) and its Black Series version, though quite expensive, is the one to check out! Amazingly, the current resale value of its Roadster version is not as expensive or holding its value in comparison to the Gullwing.

Good hunting and keep us apprised of how you finally decide on your ride. Cheers! :D

599_GTO and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston

Yep, she's very docile and smooth until you put your right foot down and becomes very racy. It's a supercar, enjoy it! reads like you already are

15. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Nice thread, interesting information on 599. Sometimes I look at AMG GT-S, especially the Edition One version. Sounds amazing, nice toys, beats 599 on track but quite small interior, impossible to find the proper seat position and way worse visibility to 599 due to sitting position. If I would be tracking most of the time, I would go with GTS still but for GT diving (both names claim to be GT), 599GTB is the clear winner. I just nees to install my Fiamenghi 6 in 1 headers, add remote controlled valves for backbox and I should be fine. Novitec front and rear lower aero bits are waiting also their turn.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Ok guys... no way a chick would say this, "I Just turned (50,52,53) and got my 599" .... are you mocking me? LoL I guess I'm late to the party at 57... Cheers!!

17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The car is OK. But that guy in the Black Jacket is a good looking man!

18. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    I bought it last year nowadays, when I was 56 so we are in the same club Anthony ;)
    Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
  20. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    I bought it 5 years ago and I'm 57 now .. so equals!

FNCOOL likes this.
  21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    tom -

how many miles on it now?

22. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
  23. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    What do you mean by "leggy"? Expensive? Boring?

Jim

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    27,485 - at last service monday.