328 - deleterious side effects of winter projects | FerrariChat

328 - deleterious side effects of winter projects

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike87328gts, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike87328gts

mike87328gts Rookie

Oct 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    michael thomas
    Hello everybody,

I bought my first Ferrari in July and I'm still on cloud 9!

'87 328 GTS

Has any one ever noticed any issues with leaving their 328 GTS on a 4 post lift for an extended period of time?

Say like a few weeks but also perhaps 4-5 months for an extreme case.

I noticed that the gap between the removable top and the roof right behind it widen a good centimeter when its on the lift, and the doors become a little more difficult to open and close but I still can if I up the force. Definitely a decent amount of chassis flexing going on. My rear jacking points are in front of the axles where that triangular welded piece joins the frame together.

Thus far I've only had it on the lift for a few hours at a time.

But now I'm planning to get into more complex winter project jobs. Replacing suspension bushings, timing belts etc., and I'm concerned I might need to leave the car on the lift for a while. It's my first attempt at these jobs obviously and I'd like to learn from the experienced people here. Any issues with prolonged chassis flex causing irreparable harm due to it being on a 4 post for a long time?

Perhaps a tall stand under the engine to counteract that weight just hanging behind the rear lift points?

Thanks,

Mike

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Never had a problem with weeks or months with the gts's sitting on the lift. The chassis has flex, hence why you notice it. Properly supported with a lift that is in alignment, I don't see why it would be an issue.
    Longest I've had a gts sitting on the lift was 8 months, big project.

And welcome! The fun is just beginning.... Like buying a boat:eek:

3. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    No problem at all just open the latches for the top less stress on the A pillar

4. mike87328gts

mike87328gts Rookie

Oct 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    michael thomas
    What are everyone's thoughts about leaving the coolant system empty of fluid for an extended period of time?

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would prefer to keep it full of fresh coolant. That should help prevent oxidation.

pshoejberg likes this.