456 GT rear registration plate lamps | FerrariChat

456 GT rear registration plate lamps

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Fennicus, Dec 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

A small but challenging problem, after a workshop fixed the damaged (glassfiber) rear bumper the rear registration plate lamps are dead.

They might just be disconnected, where on the body do those wires run and where are they connected to? I tried to see from under the car, but before I start removing the under tray, the rear spoiler and perhaps the whole bumper (that now sits very nicely) I thought there might be something I am missing?

Cheers!

2. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The cable loom comes out of the body near center line; the loom includes wires to the spoiler as well, and is hold by small brackets on the inside of the bumper. The loom splits after it first connects to the bumper; the wires to the number plate light disappear inside the bumper through a small hole. Beware, they are difficult to retrieve inside the bumper when you let them slip. If you disconnect from the lamps (which are flimsy plastic affairs), make sure to tie some line to it.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Thanks, it was a while, but problem solved. The cables were fine, but both (possibly original) bulbs were out, I could not get the holders out before I got the plate holder out (it was secured with nuts form the inside, which were almost impossible to get access to).

I tried out the pins in the connector, ground is black (logical) and the rear spoiler/diffusor can be also tested that way. the connector is found under the long thin piece of trim covering the edge of the carpet and carpet on the LH side of the trunk.

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the tip on the wiring. We haven't been able to find any wiring diagrams for the spoiler system. Do you have any clearer shots of the wire colours?

5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Sorry, I didn't take any better ones than this, and I can try to keep that in mind, but with our current weather I don't think I'll take the car out of storage any time before March. :(

The black is obviously ground, the almost white /grey one is the positive feed for the reg. plate lamps, and the red and yellow/amber ones were those that would lower and raise the rear spoiler if I put +12V on them. But I can't remember which was which.

I thought that's also covered in the WSM I remember reading about a test for the rear spoiler / diffusor by unplugging and connecting some wires in the WSM. I'll try to find that again and post here if I do.

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.