Is buying a new Rolex like buying a new Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Is buying a new Rolex like buying a new Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by puckybadger, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Very recently Rolex announced a new line of updated Submariners. I've had lots of "nice" watches over the years like Tag Heuer, Seiko, Tissot and others but not a Rolex. Called around my local dealers and was pretty much told maybe in a few years will they have one available for me. Did not know these were like buying an 812 Superfast as in available for previous good customers only. Looking for reference#124060 (no date).

2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Same here, Rolex is limiting production as like most watch makers. Though it’s perceived scarcity because they make over a million units a year, I called around and the dealer I spoke with wasn’t sure when they would be getting one

3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    When you sell an item with a resale well over MSRP they tend to be picky with who they sell to. Its not really perceived scarcity because the demand out weighs the supply. Like Ferrari, Porsche etc. if you want one then build a relationship with a retailer, calling out of the blue gets you on a list filed in the garbage can

4. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    This scarcity really only applies to stainless steel sports models. Rolex dress watches are generally available but new sports models sell for more than msrp on the secondary market. Good luck.

5. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    As an individual, you rarely buy a product and sell more than you bought for. It is for both cars and watches, every one looks at the grey market price and get excited about the price especially for the watches. These watches are sold by vendors for a profit. These vendors buy so called in demand watches at a much lower price and sell them adding 10-20%. SS Daytona are in demand now 09-10 Daytona are selling for 15-17K now, if you want to sell a mint condition to a vendor, they will offer you 12K max, the original MSRP was 10.5. In my opinion watches are not great investments, they are for your passion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

IloveGT and italiafan like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'll probably never sell a watch in my collection. I currently have a Vacheron Overseas in stainless, an Hoser and Cie Venturer, Panerai luminor Due, Rolex YM 40 stainless, Rolex Pres 40, Rolex Daytona and a couple Omegas. Some of them are worth more than I paid, some less. Maybe I'd give one away but I think watches hold a certain level of nostalgia with the buyer.

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I was just looking at a gold 40mm day/date and/ or a gold green face daytona. Rolex MSRP for the Daytona is $42 new...dealers asking $65k.

8. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Rolex compares to Porsche...Higher volumes and not as special
    Patek compares well to Ferrari...Lower volumes and much more revered..
    If you own a Ferrari why aspire to own a Rolex? Buy a Patek :)

plastique999 and IloveGT like this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Not sure who you dealt with but they're low balling you offering 12k for a 2009-2010 Daytona. Depending on whether it's a white or black dial that's a 15-18k watch, at leas that's what I offer and get them for.

You are correct that overall they are not great investments but many have become recently and that's why so many people are into it now. Probably won't end well (bubble?) but it's been very interesting for me as a dealer to see the huge increase in the amount of people interested.

3604u and desmomini like this.
  10. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    Thanks for the reply. How do you execute a long distance transaction?, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Well on the selling side most of my sales come from eBay or Chrono24 so there's buyer protection. If someone buys directly from me it's usually through a bank wire or PayPal but at that point they've already researched me and seen my company's reviews so they're most likely OK with a bank wire. I usually ship within 24 hours of payment clearing.

If you mean in regards to how I buy stuff, I usually send a FedEx label and ask for a 24 hour inspection period before sending payment. Works for pretty much everyone that reaches out to me as again they research my company and see its reviews. If I find someone randomly selling a watch, it's a bit more work convincing them to do that but it still works most of the time. It's always easier to Google and company and see what people say about it versus an individual.

technom3 and dustman like this.
  12. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #12 TG, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Can I add it seems pre-worn prices have really gone up in the last 6-12 months?

Same two tone GMT for $7-8k is now close to $11-12k
    Black and white dial Daytona's that could be had for ~$13k are $20k now, etc

I realize prices rise annually with the price increase on new releases, but besides that is there any thoughts? Seems like peak for Rolex prices as far as I remember.

13. Lqdbreakz

Lqdbreakz Rookie

Aug 17, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    They have to be getting close to peak on these rolex markups. $65k for the green dial Daytona is a little crazy. You can pick up a platona for $78-80k. What do I know though. Look what happened with the rainbow Daytona.

Boomhauer and TG like this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    straight to the point! I agree overall, but to some guys Rolex may be something of sentimental value, like my father left me a datejust from eons ago, that watch transcends the brand already. Rolex back in the days was something like our pp.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Vintage 1675 Rolex prices are in the stratosphere.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/1mas

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/v3j6dz0e/1965-rolex-gmt-master-1675-glossy-gilt-dial-with-pepsi-insert-A3241

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    3604u likes this.
  17. Modena-fer

Modena-fer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    MIAMI
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I was told 5 years waiting lists at one Ad crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Quick props to Eddie here on Fchat. Excellent service.

technom3 likes this.
  19. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Thanks as well, much appreciated!

20. bmw_e30

bmw_e30 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    eddie i'm in LA looking for a simple daytona from the 116500LN 2016+ era new or used don't care. can you help me?

21. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yes I'll reach out to you directly.

22. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Eddie I’m looking for a Hulk. Just got my Batgirl

23. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Your timing is good as they shot up significantly when they were discontinued but have come down a few grand since. I'll reach out directly.

24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    ive been eyeong 41 mm stainless steel blue face jubilee braclet fluuted bezel and no rolex dealers have them second hand and for over msrp

zygomatic likes this.
  25. otterbeinjumper

otterbeinjumper Karting

Mar 1, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've been talking with my AD for the same watch for a purchase in June of 2022 to celebrate my 40th and 15 year wedding anniversary. As of December of 2020, he said I could put the full deposit down and order the watch through Rolex. Could take 2-6 months, but payment was required at the time of order, or just chance that they get the watch in the meantime and buy when available. He said they're in demand and I've only got one local AD, but seemed positive it could be had with some planning. My only prior history was my wife's engagement ring in 2006 and a Tudor BB 58 blue just a few weeks ago.

blkdiablo33 likes this.