355 - adjusting parking brake and turning back wheels | FerrariChat

355 adjusting parking brake and turning back wheels

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Hey all, I'm trying to adjust the parking brake on my long-neglected (by the previous owner) F355, and have a couple questions, one kind of embarrassing.

First the reasonable question: when I'm rotating that little spur gear thingy inside the rotor, which way is "tighter?" As in, which makes the brake apply itself harder? Rotating like the spur gear is rolling "into" the car or "out of/away from" the car? Alternately, moving the outer teeth of the gear up or down?

Then the embarrassing question: what's the baseline for how hard it should be to turn the back wheels? I have the parking brake released, and the car is not in gear (it's manual, if that matters). One rear wheel is on the ground, though. The other is elevated and removed. In order to be able to turn it, I had to put two bolts back in and use a prybar between them. It doesn't take *all my strength* to do it - it's not even strenuous - but it's substantially more difficult to turn than I would expect. I wouldn't expect to need a pry bar. Is it dragging, or is that normal operation of the differential?

I'm a big dude, so I'm reasonably strong in spite of not working out. But I'm becoming concerned that in addition to not grabbing tightly enough, the parking brake may not be completely releasing. Thanks for opinions and jeers alike!

2. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Now I removed the other rear wheel, which is also really hard to turn, and it makes an awful squealing noise when I do. Since that would seem to rule out the differential, any other suggestions? I drove the car around the block at 10-15 mph (since the brakes are still about 10% until I replace the MC and change the fluid/bleed them). It didn't seem weird, but that's also as much and as fast as I've yet driven it. Here's a video:

3. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #3 05elise, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    With both wheels off the ground you should be able to turn both wheels easily by hand without hardly any brake drag and definitely no squealing noises. It looks like it is time for you to remove both brake discs to see what has gone wrong. Once you have the discs off and the handbrake mechanism exposed, the adjustment wheel direction will be easy to figure out. Also it looks like those brakes haven't been used in a long time from from the rust build up on the discs so it could be as simple as removing the rust and properly adjusting everything.

4. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Thanks! Yeah, I am expecting a new master cylinder tonight, and beyond that, I'm already seriously considering replacing all pads, rotors, and shoes. I was actually able to figure out the screw question from a parts diagram (assuming the inner screw is not left-hand thread). I just hope I don't have to replace wheel bearings, as that sounds extremely expensive, or like a huge hassle, or both, from what I've read.

5. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The wheel bearings are pretty robust so I doubt you will have any problems with them. The brake components come off easily with the only caveat being there are shim washers installed between the calipers and their mounts so when you remove the caliper mounting bolts those shims will fall out and go rolling away. I usually place a large empty oil drain pan under the caliper to catch the shims as the bolts are extracted. Just remember which bolt they came from so they go back into their original positions when bolting the calipers back on.

MrJames likes this.
  6. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Don't 355's have limited slip differentials? You will have a hard time turning one rear wheel while the other is on the ground. They don't call it limited slip for nothing...

MrJames likes this.
  7. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes, that’s why both rear wheels need to be off the ground and the transmission in neutral.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Looking at your vid I would guess that noise you hear is the rust as pointed out above. Given you don't know the composition of the pads they may have some heavy oxidation as well. You mention new pads but I would seriously consider not replacing the rotors because they look to have a lot of meat on them and just a light machining to clean them up you would be good to go with the new pads. Keep us posted how you make out.

MrJames likes this.
  9. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    MrJames likes this.
  10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Click it one way if disk is easy to turn go the other way if it gets tight you know which way to go.

Make it so you can turn the disk without drag.

MrJames likes this.
  11. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    For posterity, in case anyone finds this thread, I finally got the parking brake working, nearly two years later. There's two critical pieces of information I needed that are non-intuitive.

First, the handle doesn't work like on other cars I've driven. To release it, you have to press the button while it's in the up position, then lower it while holding the button. Otherwise it just stays "on." If it's down, you have to lift it back up first. If it was disengaged, it will offer resistance and clicking like in e.g. a Porsche 968. If not it will just come up easily and quietly like it's not attached to anything. Thanks to Dave Lelonek for making a YouTube video that explains this.

The other surprise was that the gears need to be rotated in opposite directions. IIRC, the LR one goes down to get "tighter," but the RR one had to be turned up to be tighter.

Oh, and the LSD definitely was making the wheels harder to turn. When I got both off the ground at once, it was much easier.

Qavion likes this.