Can the PTU in the FF & Lusso handle the power of a 700hp V12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Can the PTU in the FF & Lusso handle the power of a 700hp V12

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    yes and no. If your buying it because it’s an amazing car that only costs 130k, that repair is really going to hurt. On the other hand, If you’re otherwise going to buy a new one it’s a bargain even if you have to do several repairs.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha what about those of us who bought these things new in 2012 and kept them!?!?!?

3. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    you’ve been screwed unless you don’t care about 200k.

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol hard to argue against that! 34k blissful miles so far....

Bundy, otakki and vraa like this.
  5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    It was an amazing car at $300.000, A $130.oo0 Ferrari is not an amazing car if you can’t afford the ownership cost.

vraa likes this.
  6. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    agreed. People don’t know that though and I don’t think it’s unreasonable in this day and age to assume you can drive a car to 100k miles without it costing as much as you paid for it. Honestly, Ferrari has made exactly zero progress on longevity and reliability since the 80s.

vraa likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    a PTU solution of $10k is certainly more palatable than $40k...

Bundy, otakki, Moopz and 1 other person like this.
  8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, RR, Bentley, All high end cars have expensive fix issues that’s why there called exotic,

otakki, FerrariErnie and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The price I quoted was $8,800 exc sales tax which already includes exchange rate. As a US based customer, you don’t pay the hefty 20% sales tax that U.K. residents do. The $8,800 also includes the labour involved in the cost of removal and refit so the cost from SSAutotech of a rebuilt box will be less than the $8,800 quoted. Sure, according to Papou’s post, it’ll cost $1,000 for crating and shipment both ways but that’s probably met by the labour savings with SSAutotech. You then have to pay for removal and refit stateside which TTforcefed suggested will be around $3,000.

So you’re looking at $11,800 all in plus local taxes. That’s a far cry from $20k+.

otakki and FerrariErnie like this.
  10. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Ferrari FtLauderdale quoted me $43.000 when I was negotiating for my extended warranty,So $11.000 looks good.

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    All this banter is why I’m paying for the NewPower 15. Having had it replaced once I’ll pay the $5,700 for piece of mind....This being possibly the last V12 and having a young family makes this a true long term keeper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Moopz like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    at some point the car is no longer eligible though right? any idea after how many years?

13. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    15 years and a maximum 55,913 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Good to know. Interesting mileage cap limit number

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yeah very weird, I am guessing they were aiming for 90k km?

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are a number of very good reasons why some people should definitely buy an extended warranty. The main reason I haven't purchased one on either of my Ferraris is the risk/reward just isn't there, and I can afford a catastrophic repair. It is a hugely profitable upsell. So a few customers may be winners, but the vast majority will have lost money.

Makuono, ANOpax and otakki like this.
  17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    100% agree.

ANOpax and Nospinzone like this.
  18. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree and while a costly repair is luckily easily affordable my past experience with the car makes me want it for piece of mind.....these warranties overall are losing propositions for the consumer....

Nospinzone likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not even close. That's the price of a complete transmission including replacement.

According to my tech, a PTU replacement is now doen to 10-12 hours.
    It is also worth noting that while some Lussos have issues with it, most don't and many of us use the Lusso as a daily.
    Have you used a Lusso or FF as a daily, or are you making assumptiins regarding reliability issues? Not trying to pick a fight, but a bit interested to hear what your story is since you think a PTU delete is needed.
    I bought the Lusso in part because I like the 4RM system, so no way I would delete it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ANOpax and SVCalifornia like this.
  20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This summer we bought a new Prana mattress and got a Leggett euro slat power base. After a 15% discount the base cost $1700. We were offered a 10 year warranty for $84. With all the moving parts to that base, and the mattress weighing a ton, I figure something could easily break inside of 10 years and for that short money I thought it was worth it.

vraa likes this.
  21. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    That is about 90.000 km more or less. Which seems logical......

ttforcefed likes this.
  22. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    12k plus 3k is 15k. Not sure what your definition of a far cry is. Also not sure which Amish Indy shop does it for 3k but in NY it costs 3k for lawn mower repair.

Makuono likes this.
  23. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    If it’s done at Indy, the cost is acceptable for owning an exotic. I paid 7k a year for each car parking in nyc. This just made Ferrari look bad that they don’t stand behind their products.

vraa likes this.
  24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Huh? I don't know what kind of calculator you're using but $8.8k + $3k is definitely $11.8k. Time to put a check on that MotorMouth of yours o_O
    And yes, nearly half of $20k+ is my definition of a far cry. What's yours?

The PTU takes 10-12hrs to remove and refit according to Il Co-Pilota's service tech. So you're telling me that NY Ferrari charges $250-300/hr? I guess it's not outside the realms of possibility. Better ride a lawnmower then :D

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes dealers charge 275 to 300 an hour. Indes charge about 140 to 160. Ive heard dealers quote ptu at 30+ hours

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.