Replacing gasket for bell housing spacer? | FerrariChat

Replacing gasket for bell housing spacer?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Miklas, Dec 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    Hi All,
    I'm about to change the clutch on my car (1979 GTS). I suspect the gasket between the block and the bell housing spacer is leaking a small amount.
    So I was thinking that while I have the bell housing and clutch out I could potentially look into changing this gasket as well.

Are the only extra steps draining the gearbox and engine oil and removing the starter before the spacer can come out?
    I can't make out clearly how the spacer is attached to the block. Is it only pressed between the bell housing and the block and the nuts around the main shaft?

If it's not too much trouble to replace the gasket I'll do it but in case it's more difficult I'll skip it and live with the small leak.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It's not too much trouble but you'll have to drain the gearbox first. Starter comes out or loose. There's a bunch of m8 studs running around the exterior and a couple behind the flywheel along with a ring of m6 studs as well. All easy to see once the flywheel is out. It's also located with dowel sleeves so it's not going to immediately come loose once the nuts are off, takes some tapping and wiggling. Don't forget to remove or disconnect the sensors.

If you go this far replace the main seal.

Miklas likes this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Agreed it can be done in the car and is just straight disassembly. Be sure to use the Ferrari green coloured gaskets. They cost a little more but will not leak.

waymar, Miklas and smg2 like this.
  4. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    Thank you for your input. I'll decide if I remove the spacer once I'm in there and can have a good look.

5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW the KlingerSil gasket (Green) I installed for the same location dry. No leaks in 40k miles.

Nuvolari likes this.