Ferrari FF - When is the water cooling fan supposed to engage? | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF - When is the water cooling fan supposed to engage?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Bamsefar, Dec 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    So under normal driving on highway, is the water cooling fan supposed to turn on?

I have lately noticed, even now when it is rather cold outside (say +5 deg Celsius) that my FF's water cooling fans seems to be turned on, even while driving on highways. I find that very strange. I get it if I drive in town in very slow traffic, but on highways?

When I look at the gauge for water temp it is around say 82-85 degrees...
    Oil is not very high either, so it is strange in my mind...

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    On my Lusso, the fan would not engage in normal driving, especially during winter. I would notice it would engage when stuck in traffic, when temperature is rising in the high 90DegC.

Bamsefar likes this.
  3. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I've never seen temps in that region I could easily say. Never above 90 deg C.

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    during normal use, temperature would be between 74 and 82degC. But in bumper to bumper traffic temperature would get as high as 97DegC. Never above though. The one time I went on a track I also reached 95DegC.

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    It sounds like you may have a stuck solenoid or thermostat.
    I don't pay much attention to the water temp anyway - it's the oil temp which matters and I keep the engine revs low when the oil temp is <70c. I wouldn't swear to it but, at most, I think I've seen max engine temps (both oil and water) around the 100c mark during stop/start traffic in warm weather. Normal operating temp seems (again, from memory) to be around 80-90c.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Both the Lusso and FF develop a lot of heat. Your temps are correct and the fan is on most of the time. The temps you see in bumper to bumper traffic is what is on the higher side of things in general. Nothing is wrong, it's just the nature of a high performance car. They take a lot of cooling to keep cool at a stand still, so 96-100 is not uncommon. The sweetspot for water temps when you drive is between 70 and 80, so that's perfect. If you were seeing 95 c going down the highway I would worry as that is abnormal. It wont hurt anything, but it should run cooler. Above 100 c is where it starts to get iffy, and 110 c is too high.
    But a general rule of thump is that once cooling temps start to go above 70 c you start to lose power and anything above 80 c must be considered heat soak.
    I've spent a lot of hours with engine dynos and cooling temps is one of the single most important things to keep an eye on for consistent data. If your car hums along at 74-80 degrees, then Ferrari did their job well. Had it been in the mid to high 90's, then not.

Oil is a bit different, and don't fluctuate quite as much. During driving, oil temps are often higher than water temps, but at idle and in traffic, oil can often get a bit cooler than the water. As long as the oil is above 60 c, there's nothing to worry about. Most important thing with oil is that it does not get hot enough to degrade. 60-70 for idle and cruising is very good and 80-90 is perfect for actual driving.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

otakki likes this.
  7. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Right... It was NOT the water cooling fans, nor the oil cooler... It was a hose between the PTU and the PTU pump that was "flexing" against the undertray. So the fans was never on actually, it was just a vibrating hose that got into a resonating sound against the undertray. Go figure....

8. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    It might be your electric water pump running.

9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    No. If one takes a look on this picture (from Eurospares):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It was the hose just above number 27 to 33 - and the pump on the right is part of the PTU.