I purchased BAT 1987 TR. Would like some advice from the group | FerrariChat

I purchased BAT 1987 TR. Would like some advice from the group

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2008F430, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I purchased the 1987 TR this weekend. I am in Florida and the car is up north so I will need to ship it home. I spoke with the seller’s rep and he mentioned that the shop that did the 30k engine out could do it for me before the car ships out. The shop has a good reputation from what I know. At first I thought it would be a good idea but now I am thinking I would like to get the car home first to evaluate it before I do anything. The seller stated that the car has had an oil change every year since the 30k service in 2015. The car has only had about 1,500 miles put on it since the 30k service was done. So I guess my questions are.
    1. Would you have the belt service done before it ships out?
    2. If I didn’t have the service done, would you be comfortable driving the car at all? 5 years and 1,500 miles since the 30k engine out service. In other words, would you be comfortable driving 20 miles to car shows as long as your very easy in it?
    3. Has anyone ever dropped the engine just to replace the belt? I know what happens when the belt breaks but does all the other stuff really need to be done after only 1500 miles?
    4. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely don’t mind spending the money to do the entire service and I figured in 15k for it. I just want to see what some of you guys with experience think about it.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

1-No, have it done by YOUR mechanic so u get to know the car
    2-Yes- but get the car inspected first. The car isn’t going to explode because the belts are due. Strong chance they are fine but I’d have my mechanic look at it first and tell me what he thinks of the cars
    3-Plenty of threads on there. U can do just the belts but usually there are plenty of other things to be tackled.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V4NG0 and turbo-joe like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    on caveat on question 1) depends on where you are in Florida and where the car is now. if you are 150 miles away from a quality shop and the car is in the NYC metro area i wld have one of the well respected shop there do it. if you have a very trusted and convenient shop locally then get the car and go crazy.

550nitis and turbo-joe like this.
  4. clinton

clinton Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    Houston
    I wait until 8-10 years for a belt change. Sonething else usually breaks first and at that time I change the belts.
    Read the service intervals in a testarossa owner's manual, you will learn a lot.
    Cars don't seem to care whether you're going 20 mph or 150 so, driving along at 20 is not the answer.
    Get the car home and figure out everything you need to get done. You could end up with a lot of redundant labor cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    ^— agree w/ what Nat said

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Question 1. Are you current owner of some type of exotic car and do you have a relationship with a indy near you, or know of one?
    2. If you have a good indy near you, ship it directly to him. Even if it needs nothing, you can have him evaluate it.
    3. As far as the engine out service the question is of those 1500 miles and when were they put on the car. If you drive it 1500 miles and then let it set for 4 1/2 years I would be more worried. (I wonder under what conditions the PO stored the car)
    4. Finally I would probably do the engine out near me and now, because your local indy should give you some type of warrantee on the work and if there is a problem you do not want to ship it back north.
    5. If you have the work done now it will relieve all the stress about driving an unknow history and you can enjoy the car totally. Besides you will probably own the TR for a few years and it will eventually if not sooner need to be done before you sell it.
    6. Fix and drive it like you stole it!

7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    If you're planning on keeping it for a while I'd have it shipped first so you can develop a relationship with a local shop.

blkdiablo33 and peteficarra like this.
  8. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats on the purchase!!

9. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
  10. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I have a F430 that I got from Ferrari of Atlanta but haven’t had it long enough to worry about service yet. It’s a CPO so I would take to the dealer for this car. I think Orlando just opened up a new dealership. Any thoughts of dealer vs independent?

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    For older cars i prefer independents. Im sure if you search in the Florida section you will find all the recommendations you need.

ChipG and MOSS like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

You can go to Ferrari of central Florida they work with Tampa bay. I’d go independent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    +1

14. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Better to have it done near you, then you can see and decide what other things to do when engine is out. Detailing engine bay, all new hoses, etc. Not much risk of belt breaking at all. Even one or two cogs broken would not do anything, and most have never heard of a belt breaking other than some obstruction. Idler pulleys may need cleaning/replacing if any corrosion.

15. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Get the car shipped to you and take it out for a drive after warming it up for awhile. I also have an 87 no where near as nice as the car you bought. Tons of oil to warm up. Before taking it out while it is warming up in your driveway look underneath and see if any fluids are leaking. Test the emergency brake and see if it works. To release the brake you will need to push and hold the button in and pull it back tighter and then while button is held pushed in push the brake handle down. If nothing dramatic is leaking then take it out. Get a small fire extinguisher and put it in the car behind the seats. Take a nice easy drive and get use to it and look at all the gauges as far as oil pressure and water temperature. The transmissions can take a bit getting use to. Don't try to speed shift it.. Putting the car in reverse can take a bit of effort as far as pushing down the shifter. When you get back you might then have an idea if anything needs to be done. Probably nothing needs to be done. I was watching your car on BAT and it looks awesome and clean. You will be fine and don't need to over react to servicing it immediately. Drive it!!!!

peteficarra likes this.
  16. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Thanks for all the good advice. I think that’s smart to get the work done here just in case of issues. I will keep you guys posted when I get it down here.

17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Is this the car that was serviced in 2014 by an the indy GT Motorsports?
    If so, it was worked on by the owner Al Pinkowsky.
    Al did the work on my white TR and has a fantastic long term reputation here in the Midwest. Well known guy and a straight shooter.
    I would not hesitate to use him. And his prices are incredibly fair!

18. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    That is exactly who did the work. I don’t feel that I have anyone close by that has a good a reputation as he does but I am worried about what would happen if I did have problems way down here in Florida

19. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    You WILL have problems in Florida eventually! These are 30-year-old Italian cars LOL!!
    In the meantime, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to phone Al and ask him if he’s looked at the car lately. Perhaps he can give you some guidance as to what needs to be done on it.

20. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I spoke to Al today and after a lengthy discussion I have decided to let him do the service. He seems to know his stuff.

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Great to hear! Welcome to the TR world.

22. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    They are really good cars if the maintenance has been kept up. I bought mine back late 2018 and the major was due immediately by time only. It had been 5 years since last major. I recently did the major from a local guy. I will also tell you I haven’t had one problem with the car other than squeaky brakes which I had repaired the first month of ownership. Runs perfect with no problems. I’m very happy and I’m sure you will be too.

23. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Zeff, Its always easy when you buy a platinum car to start with!! LOL On the other hand I bought a car with a lot of needs, but the journey has been enlightening and fun. I feel like I really know the car now. However, the next time I will buy a platinum car because they both cost the same in the end!!!

ScottS, Zeff and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you buy a platinum car you not know as much from the car as you know now from yours ;)

EZORED, Zeff and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  25. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Congrats, you will love the car. It looked great.

Mind you, creep of scope could be coming....well while you're in there the "xxx" is showing some wear, let's add that to the list, etc.... It'll add value to the car to have it done and let you just enjoy it. Penny wise during a motor out is pound foolish later. I recommend letting them do whatever it needs while it is apart.

My car arrived on a Saturday, I dropped the driveline on Tuesday. Belts only, initially but within the period of a few hours I had a grocery list of stuff it needed. Due to time it all had to go back together and dealt with in ANOTHER motor out service 8 months later...no gain in being "efficient" up front.

This forum is a blessing to an owner. I have learned so much and hopefully offered some good advice along the way. You'll see stories about rear differentials, input shafts and clutches that will scare you to death. They are real issues but you'll sort out in time. To many good years of enjoyment for you, Cheers! You'll be one of a few in your area for sure. Most of the time Ferrari's get together you'll be the ONLY Testarossa!

Gary Sandberg likes this.