'69 365 GTC Headlight switch issue | FerrariChat

'69 365 GTC Headlight switch issue

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VincentLuong24, Mar 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    Hello fellow members,
    I have a '69 365 GTC with a funky headlight switch issue. When I first acquired the car, I would have to twist the headlight switch and wiggle it up and down slightly to get the headlights to turn on. The high beams nor the running lights never worked. Now the headlights won;t turn on at all. I'm just curious, has anyone out there encountered this issue that has found a simple fix? If not, does anyone know where or who I can get a replacement switch from? Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guy!

2. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Vincent,it could be as simple as some loose wires.Look at the back side of the switch with the battery disconnected. You should not drive the car as it is .A short could occur and fire resulting.Get it fixed right and the enjoy the car. Good luck,Mike

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Before you disassemble everything, get some electronic contact cleaner and spray it into the hole in the side of the steering column where the switch is located. Do this while working the switch through it's range of movement. Usually the problem is dirt accumulated over the years, and many times the contact cleaner will get the switch working again. Good luck.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I recommend Deoxit Gold spray contact cleaner. It is amazing at fixing bad connections and it also leaves a lubricant on the contacts (this is important to prevent wear on sliding contacts). It isn't that easy to find in general, but Guitar Center usually stocks it: CAIG DeoxIT Gold G5 Spray Contact Conditioner 5 oz. | GuitarCenter. Be sure to get the Deoxit "Gold" and not the "Cleaner" (it's easy to mix them up because the cans look very similar).

5. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I had a very similar problem with a 365GT 2+2 I had. I am not sure if the headlight switch is the same but with that switch there is a set of contacts up in the end of the handle that you twist. The best I remember you pop off the end of the black plastic part that you twist and then you can separate the two halves of the main part and get to the contacts to clean them. Be very careful with the plastic parts. Good luck.

6. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    Thanks for all of the replies! I'll give cleaning a shot to see if it will work and keep you guys up to date with the situation!

7. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    The contact cleaner worked flawlessly! Thank you once again to everyone that quickly replied with the useful advice. I greatly appreciate every single response.

8. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    #8 VincentLuong24, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Thanks for the pictures that is flat out gorgeous. Maybe my favorite color for a 330/365. It sounds like your problem is solved, but in the interest of adding to the thread for posterity: my light stalk was missing when I got my GTC, probably removed by a repair shop and lost. Classic Coach made a perfect reproduction when they did my engine rebuild, updated with more reliable innards. Apparently this is a high failure component?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great looking car. The prettiest roofline ever penned.

Keep that contact cleaner. Yours was not an unusual problem.

11. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Beautiful car!
    Is it Blu Sera?

12. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    Thanks everyone! Glad you like it.

13. VincentLuong24

Jun 30, 2014
    Thanks! It's actually Bleu Scuro.

14. Peter Lipman

Peter Lipman Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter Lipman
    i am having an issue with headlights on my 365 gt 2+2. they dont work. i am trying to locate the two relays related to the headlights and i cannot find them under the dash on either side. i am using wire colors and number of contacts as a guide with regard to the schematic. i can identify everything i see under there that looks like a relay and i cannot find the headlight relays. Help please.

15. shoreorthopod

shoreorthopod Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    Would reach out to tom yang... he knows these cars inside and out backwards and forwards and fixed my headlight switch issue (albeit different issue than yours).

16. Peter Lipman

Peter Lipman Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter Lipman
    How do I reach him? Thanks

17. Peter Lipman

Peter Lipman Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter Lipman
    I found his email address