430 - Should I buy a RR Ghost or F430 Spider? | FerrariChat

430 Should I buy a RR Ghost or F430 Spider?

Discussion in '360/430' started by superwoman, Dec 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    I know this is a strange question but hear me out...

I currently have a Gallardo 6speed Spyder, 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider, and Bentley Continental GT coupe.

I have the Bentley for 7 years now so looking for a switch but have been putting it off.

Since we are expecting a baby next year so I’m also potentially looking at a non-two seaters.

I grew up in the Top Gear trio era so it is exciting to be able to buy these supercars at a steep discount. I’m not a big fan of buying new cars especially luxury SUVs. I just can’t bring myself spending big bux on SUV when there are other more exciting cars available...

The plan is to trade in Alfa Romeo and Bentley for a different car as I don’t have garage space to store 3 vehicles.

I shortlisted several dream cars:
    1. Gen 1 Audi R8: AWD, cheapest of bunch, daily driver on snow
    2. F430 spider. Fulfil the dream of owning a Ferrari and relive the moment watching Clarkson sliding this car at the Top Gear test track. $80k now and I think it will bottom out around $60k
    3. Mclaren 650s/12c spider. Bargain price but horrible reliability
    4. 2010-2012 Rolls Royce Ghost: potential daily driver and fits baby seat in the back? This is the only non mid engine car that excites me. Costs $100k now. Will it bottom out soon or it is going to be $50k in few years?

The Bentley is actually an amazing car but I’m ready for a change after 7 years.

I like the ghost for its practicality and coolness but I can’t shake off the feeling that I can have a F430 that will probably retains its value better than the ghost.

On the flip side, since I live in a snowy weather, is it dumb to tie up two mid engine supercar for 5 months in storage while winter rages on?

As for my S.O., she’s a car girl and actually drove my Gallardo more than I do lately. She’s cool with any choice I make.

My parents also lives 2 minutes from me and have several SUV and truck I sometimes borrow...

I’ll be paying cash and the goal is to not suffer huge depreciation because I’m looking to move into Aventador when the next gen comes out.

Any thoughts?

Janjie likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    430 and a used jeep wrangler for the winter - nothing else in your list comes close to a 430.

superwoman likes this.
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    If you are looking at a Ferrari, I would look at an FF. It has a V12, 4 wheel drive so with snow tires should do well in the winter and you can easily put a baby seat in the back. A 2012 should be close to bottoming out on depreciation. I am also currently weighing the options myself on a daily driver so I can keep the miles off my GT3 (I would never drive the 430 as a daily, it's too flashy) and the FF is looking more and more like a good choice. A Ferrari Lusso would be even better, but that wouldn't fit in my budget unless I got rid of a few cars.

Vegas CS, Sj_engr, Jda550911 and 2 others like this.
  4. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    I love the enthusiasm here! There is also no (alive) online community for rolls Royce compare to the vibrant Ferrari community.

vraa likes this.
  5. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks. The FF makes sense but I just couldn’t bring myself to love the shootingbrake look. I wish it looked more like Aston Martin rapide proportion.

plastique999 likes this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I imagine the R8 and Mclaren are on there for kicks, but realistically they won't make the win, nor would I pick them out of the bunch. Either live the dream or get something more practical (Ghost). Keep in mind that if these are you first kids, you're about to find out how hard it will be to find time to drive your F430 unless you happen to have live in help. I've been close to selling my F430 for that reason alone. However, I fulfilled my dream and bought it between baby 1 and 2, and I am glad I did so I can die without regrets.

If I was you, this is how I would pick. If you're wealth is comfortable enough to where you reasonably expect to still have discretionary income to postpone the purchase of F430 for about 5-10 years. I'd get the Ghost now, and then the F430. You'll knock out the baby and toddler years where the kids demand constant attention, and you're exhausted all of the time, in a comfortable car in which you can carry them with you. Then, transition to the F430 once they don't demand constant attention and you can actually carry them with you on some of your drives.

tomc, superwoman and honda corse like this.
  7. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    I know none of these are on your list but i can tell you full size Range Rovers are dirt cheap for early years and make great winter beaters for shuttling kids around. You could trade the Alfa for one and let the salt and snow kill it without losing much. ...sell the Bentley and get your Ferrari.

tomc and superwoman like this.
  8. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I was recently facing a similar dilemma but I have three kids. I ended-up ordering a Mercedes AMG G63...it'll hang with an F430 to 60mph, has room for 5, can drive it all year round, and still has that "special" feeling to it.

The Merc G series also hold their value remarkably well, if that's a concern for you.

superwoman likes this.
  9. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    If you where driving down the street and found yourself at a red light, and your behind the wheel of the Ghost would you want to trade cars if the person next to you pulled up in the F430, or vice versa? Luxury cars on this level are essentially toys, I try not to realm and reason emotional purchases that are akin to a 7 year old spending his allowance on Jurassic Park Dinosaurs...

Before deciding on my 360 I drove the 570S, 650s, 488, Gallardo, Bentley, F430. I chose the 360 because of the sound and nostalgia, but if I didn't have a 360 I would own a F430. F430 is such a thrilling car to drive at low speed or high speed, A lot of modern cars only feel special when you are taking them over triple digit speeds or very high speed back road driving. They are almost to capable for their own good.....

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    you are lost in space, if you don't know you want a Ferrari forget it

11. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Thanks and all good points. It is going to be first child but my head plays Jeremy Clarkson's voice "how hard can it be?":D

I know many say "cars are not investments" which is true but I find that part of the kick is to able own a dream car for similar cost of a run-of-the-mill modern luxury car. In that sense, I'm thinking 5 years down the road, I might look at my $50k ghost and thought to myself "I should've gotten a F430" which will still sells higher.

I've been through the same when Murcielago manual was about $140k in 2013. I didn't pull the trigger where I could drive it for 7 years and still sell it at, if not more . They run about $150-160+ now.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  12. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    This is a good alternative. thanks!

I actually looked into G63. It holds value incredibly well. I looked at 2013+ model where interior is significantly updated. They still go for about $70-80k but I figure why not spring for a Ghost/F430 at that price?:D

Congrats on the 360 Modena. They were my firsrt pick many years ago before I got my Gallardo. The value has gone up since then and almost close to F430 value! You made a good point about speed and modern. My alfa is ridiculously slow but it feels fast and exiciting to drive because you can actaully rev it high without getting sent to jail forever.

Here is the answer to your scenario:

On a sunny day, if I'm in a ghost and someone pull up in F430 spider, I'd wish I'm in that spider. I really like the Ghost NOW because it is practical and maybe weather is cold, dim, and freezing now... but having a prancing horse next to my bull will amazing...

DiabloTerr likes this.
  13. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    So true about the Alfa driving experience. I just sold my 74 GTV to make room for the 360 and I like to say it felt like doing 100 mph at 60 and the Ferrari is the exact opposite. It feels like 60 when you are doing 100+!

superwoman likes this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I have absolutely no interest in a Ghost. A Wraith maybe or a Phantom yes.

15. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    Have you driven a ghost?

I drove my first one, check in pocket thinking I would drive it away and it was the least special car I have ever felt. It is sterile and more importantly feels nothing more than a 7 series.

I also own a 2006 flying spur and a 2012 GTC and comparatively, the materials are garbage. Given that you are used to Bentley quality, I would be willing to bet you will feel very similarly.

Depending on what Bentley you have, maybe move into a 10-12 supersports with rear seat package or a 13+ spur (don’t bother with the 8, get the 12) and call it done.

superwoman likes this.
  16. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Well, it’s easy. If you want to take the kids, you get a RR. If you want them to take the bus, you get a F430 Spider. Or am I missing something?

Apollo 11, NMNMNMN and superwoman like this.
  17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Our daily drivers are an FF for me and a Ghost for my wife. For fun I have a 430Spider with a stick or motorcycles. The FF is so much fun to drive and quite practical

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

superwoman likes this.
  18. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Why not inexpensive German wagon and a 430?

Remember that kids will smear food like drinkable yogurt on your seats. You may think I won’t give the kid food in the car. Then the screaming starts. Best advice I got was from my Pops: Babies cry for two reasons, they want food or they need a new diaper. My kid really was that simple. Got lucky.

The poster PPW, who drove a Ghost and found it boring, I had the same experience with the non AMG E series a few years ago. Reminded me of a Chevy Impala. Just that boring.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Enzo Sebastian likes this.
  19. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    F430 Spider and an SUV for family duty. All the answer would be biased as you’re asking on a Ferrari forum

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Maine57S1

Maine57S1 Karting

Dec 5, 2016
    Full Name:
    John
    Agreed.. Young kids absolutely trash cars.. Especially if you are dealing with weather (snow, slush, mud etc) Like everything they touch drive them around in something that is disposable :)

21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Check the McLaren. The horror stories are often just "stories", this car plays in a completely different league in terms of performance and is also as spider extremely stiff what guaranties an excellent driving behavior. The F430 is certainly ahead in the discipline of driving emotion.

360trev likes this.
  22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    We have put 13k miles on our Ghost in 6 months. It is the ultimate highway cruiser

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'd be getting a Tesla Model X in your situation. The fancy doors are a godsend for dealing with kids in car seats, particularly on rainy days. As a bonus its quicker than a F430 for when the kids aren't in the car (or when they get a bit older) and it'll handle better than the RR. Plus you don't have to worry about running to the gas station with hungry cranky babies in the back.

Apollo 11 and NMNMNMN like this.
  24. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I have no doubt. I have not driven a Ghost. They are beautiful. I admire your using yours I am a fan of and advocate driving cool cars daily.

But I have driven an E sedan. The ergonomics and ride for me were not making me a believer. I would much rather a Ghost. In fact on my very short list of cars I would love to have at some point is an older Bentley Turbo R.

I have a few special interest cars now (no more room to spare) and use them. But our German wagon my wife usually drives and is for our dog. We eat snacks in it and spill coffee by accident in it. We drive it with abandon on road trips year round with bikes on the roof rack. And my kid is allowed to drive it when her car is not available. They are very useful. I have had a German wagon of some type for the last 20 years or so in my stable.

So for this fellow my advice would be a car he likes that is more suited to 10 million teeny tiny perfectly hard to find yet seemingly everywhere crumbs of animal crackers and drinkable yogurt soaked seat foam from the pleats inward. Like say a used VW or BMW wagon. If you like bigger a MB wagon I find very nice for daily family man use as well.

And I would advise getting the F430 that is calling his name as well. Life is short.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    First off, you came to a Ferrari forum asking if you should get a Ferrari...we MAY be a bit biased ;)

One thing that people seem to have missed is that you already own a Gallardo. If you are looking for cars that will loan themselves to a little practicality, then having 2 mid engine exotics may be a bit redundant, even silly if you are looking to off the Bentley and needing a back seat... Having a Gallardo and a 430/McLaren/R8 is going to result in getting rid of one when you come to "need" the backseat...and I'm assuming that your "SO" doesn't have a car of their own, and having to go offsite to borrow your parents' SUV is going to get old, especially if you are in a cold climate, which it sounds like you are.

I think the only choice that makes any sense whatsoever is the RR. Either that or buy another toy and get a used Buick, Audi, Benz, whatever for winter and family runs.

NMNMNMN likes this.