Best material to refinish a cement garage floor ? | FerrariChat

Best material to refinish a cement garage floor ?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by rocketman, Dec 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Looking to redo my cement garage floor and wondering what is the best looking and most durable finish to use.
    Pros and cons for each recommendation would be appreciated.
    Also, if possible, would appreciate the name of a reputable contractor in the NY area for each recommendation.
    Thanks

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I had my garage floor Epoxy coated six years ago and I am extremely happy with the results. It stands up to all of the abuse that I have given it when working on my vehicles. I do place small carpet pads under the legs of Jack Stands but I have not been able to scratch of mare the surface. Moving Hydraulic jacks around the garage does not harm the coating. You can see a small section of it in the attached photo. I think the pro's are: relatively inexpensive to have installed. I had some flaking of the original surface and the floor did not properly pitch to a drain in the center stall. The company that did the coating smoothed the cement while re-pitching it so that water would flow properly to the drain. After coating, adding the flakes they applied a clear Epoxy the next day. They even coated some of out exterior concrete at that based of the pillars that separate the garage doors. Gave the entire job a nicely finished look. I also find that the floor stays cleaner and is also much easier to wash. I have found no drawbacks or "Cons". I am in the Chicago area so cannot help in NY. If you are interested in reading more you can check the website of the company who did my floor. I would think someone in NY does similar work. Check: https://www.windycitycoating.com/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

victorg, rocketman and wax like this.
  3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Thanks for your reply.
    Epoxy is what I am thinking of using but wanted to hear what others had to say.
    How bad was the odor when it was done and how long did it last ?
    Do you recall how much you paid per square ft. ?
    Thanks

4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I do not recall any odor at all. The grinding, color coating with flakes were applied one day and set up over night. The next day they applied a clear Epoxy coat and I let that sit for the remainder of the day. My floor was done in July. At the time I paid $2300 for my 3-Car garage (30'x20'). That included all of the work mentioned above. (grinding, re-pitching for the drain, coating and also the small outside coating). They offered a large number of color options, both in paint and flakes.

The first year I was extra carful about using jacks and stands on the coating but over time have learned how durable and tough this material is. While I still am careful, I have learned that I can do all of the work that I used to do when the concrete was not coated. It really is that tough. I've also walked in the garage in my stocking feet. I would never do that on the original concrete.

5. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    That's $3.83 per sq. ft.
    My guy is quoting $6 per sq. ft. which is certainly high compared to what you paid
    ( also includes all the things you mentioned ).
    Good to know you're happy with the Epoxy.
    Would love to hear others chime in.
    Thanks and be careful walking in your stocking feet !

6. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    I also got quoted $6 a sq ft in NY

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    Mission epoxy is the only way to go in NY... Instagram mission_epoxy to check his work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I just finished building a garage and at first wanted to do the floor fancy but after living with it for a while, I've grown to like it natural.

020147, HH11 and Caphill like this.
  9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I can’t comment on the cost for a contractor to do the work, as I did it myself 26 years ago. Total cost was about $600.00 for one 50% diluted base coat and three 10% diluted topcoats, IIRC.

I can attest to the durability of the finish... It has held up superbly for 26 years and it’s super easy to clean and maintain. In addition, it has survived hot tires and lots of car related tools, jacks, hoists and chemicals without any damage.

My coating is a light grey, with no added flecks or other adjuncts. 100% satisfied with my epoxy floor coating. Take care and best wishes to you and yours.

Cheers!

Manda racing, rocketman and ShadowLAP like this.
  10. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    My garage was coated six years ago so pricing and labor appears to have gone up in that time frame.

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For edification, my car park is ~1,000 sqft, which brings my DIY cost for materials (free labour of course) to $.60 per sqft. The work was easy peasy... It took three days and then Bob’s your Uncle!

I waited a week before parking on it though, as the house and car park were brand new and we were just moving in and getting settled.

Cheers!

victorg likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I got quoted $6.50 for a really nice looking epoxy floor with chaotic patterns in it, all kinds of swirls and color/hue changes, the basic color is silver. I don't have a picture of it. We are redoing our garage right now so this is a good thread.

13. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
  14. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Anyone care to voice an opinion on Epoxy versus something like RaceDeck flooring.
    RD looks nice but have no idea how it performs in real life.

15. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Go to that site and search for porcelain tile installs.

16. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I did my garage with racedeck tiles. I like the look and if you get tired of the pattern you can redo the tiles. The tiles are hard plastic so if I need to work on the floor I use squishy gym tiles. After you install the tiles you can immediately use the garage. And if you sell the house or move you can take the tiles with you.
    My neighbor did his with epoxy. I also like the epoxy floor look but the setup was too much for me, especially if you have oils stains it cracks in your floor. And once you are done you can't use the garage until the epoxy cures.
    Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I have a Racedeck floor I put down in 2014, so 6 years with it. I'm happy with it - it has some "cush" to it when working on cars that I like, and its also much warmer in the winter time. I wash it out 2x a year. Quick install, I put this all down in 4 hours from out of the box.. This photo taken when it was five years old (March 2019). These are the extra cost "glossy" tiles which i would highly recommend over the standard dull tile finish.

The garage right before I installed it in 2014

Attached Files:

wax and kregelin like this.
  18. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #18 rocketman, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Thanks everyone for the additional input on the RaceDeck tiles.
    The above pic looks great.
    Are there any companies that compete with RaceDeck and offer a comparable product ?

19. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I had Racedeck's lower-cost line in my last garage and liked it for durability, cost, ease of installation, and ease of cleaning. However, the edge pieces that abutted the garage door would temporarily warp every time the sun hit them and it was super annoying. When I built my current home I went with epoxy over chips as others have done, and I couldn't be happier. We are two years in and the durability and ease of cleaning are as good or better than the tiles. I would 100% do epoxy again.

20. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Is the Epoxy slippery if it gets wet ?

21. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^ I have epoxy and love it. You can add a sand type material for a no slip finish. I just have the chips on top and that is fine for me.

22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As another member posted, you can add an abrasive to the final top coat to increase traction. At the time I did my floor, I do not believe the flakes were available...

I opted not to add any abrasive to my epoxy, because I wanted to make it easier to clean and mop. It can be slippery though when it’s wet!

To reduce any problems, I walk backwards as I mop towards the man door, so I’m never on the wet portion. When cars come in during a rainstorm, we have anti-fatigue mats on the primary walk areas, so easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

My Ferrari 458 shares the car park with a SonderKlasse Benz and my wood turning and soon to be installed metal turning/milling/ fabrication workshop. Therefore, most of the walk paths are covered in anti-fatigue mats for comfort and get pulled up as necessary for cleaning.

Cheers!

23. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Best covering - tiles
    Most durable - porcelain tile
    Most expensive - marble or onyx tile
    Most impractical - anything other than porcelain
    Quick & cheaper - epoxy or polished concrete
    Nicest looking - entirely up to the individual

24. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    In my case, standard two car garage that is used to enter and exit the house.
    Absolutely zero work done in it and not abused.
    One of the cars never sees rain or snow.
    In a nutshell: Looking for something that looks nice, cleans up well if it should get dirty, durable and holds up over time, not slippery, can be done by a professional and is not insanely priced.

25. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I hade the same criteria and went with epoxy. DId a DIY and couldn't be happier. Found a company that offered commercial grade products . Cost me $1k and 2 days versus $3k-$5k .