Motorsport Network (Ferrari Chat) acquires Cavallino: good news or bad? | FerrariChat

Motorsport Network (Ferrari Chat) acquires Cavallino: good news or bad?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jack-the-lad, Dec 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #1 Jack-the-lad, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    I just received an email release that Motorsport Network’s Canossa Events division is acquiring Cavallino. It’s well known that Barnes has been interested in selling for some time. I’m concerned more about the future of the magazine than the event. To me, the “corporatization” of an enterprise that has essentially been the vision of one man is always in danger of diluting or corrupting that vision.

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Just received a press release that the Cavallino Magazine and its Cavallino Classic Event is sold to Canossa Events... As part of the Motorsport Network Cavallino and FerrariChat will cross-promote each other

In case it was not posted yet, here is the press release:

Canossa Events acquires Cavallino Inc
    Motorsport Network’s premier motor touring events business to take over exclusive Concours and media company and extend US operations
    Miami – December 9, 2020Motorsport Network, the integrated digital platform that is the destination for millions of automotive and racing fans, today confirmed that its premium motoring events business, Canossa Events has acquired US based concours event and media company Cavallino Inc.

With a prestigious reputation built over 42 years as a destination for Ferrari enthusiasts, Cavallino has a strongly subscribed bi-monthly magazine and website. A digital version of the magazine will launch in the summer.

Cavallino is also the organiser of landmark events like the Palm Beach Cavallino Classic, which celebrates its 30th anniversary event on January 21-24 2021. Cavallino Classic is the largest automotive event of the winter season featuring over 400 Ferraris with total value of $600m. There are also over 120 other rare classic automobiles on display on the final day at the Mar-a-Lago resort with a total value of $150m.

Cavallino is a perfect fit with Canossa Events and the wider Motorsport Network business, which has established a powerful ecosystem of content and events serving a global community of Ferrari owners and enthusiasts. The Cavallino website will benefit from cross-promotion with FerrariChat, the world’s largest online Ferrari community. The high-end model maker Amalgam Collection and Colombo archive, the world’s largest private collection of Ferrari motorsport images are also in the portfolio.

The integration and optimisation of the Cavallino website will give access to digital versions of many Cavallino articles going back decades. These articles will be available online to subscribers of the magazine. So going forward, subscribers will also have a digital subscription to Cavallino.com that gives them access to such valuable content.

Canossa Events was formed in 2010 and is synonymous with excellence in road touring events. The company organises almost 300 events a year, including the legendary Modena Cento Ore, a five day timed and regularity road rally in the spirit of the old Giro d’Italia and Tour de France, that cuts a swath across the stunning scenery of Italy also featuring races in some of the most famous circuits. Canossa is best known for its classic car rallies and its supercar motor touring events that blend exotic collectable cars, world-class hospitality and road adventures set in some of the world’s most picturesque landscapes across Europe, the US and the Middle East. The company has offices in Milan, Greenwich, Connecticut and Dubai.

John Barnes, President Cavallino Inc said, “I have dedicated a lifetime to building the Cavallino community with a passion for all things Ferrari and it is a business with an impeccable reputation. I received several offers for the business, but I wanted it to be part of an ecosystem that serves the Ferrari community and where it can thrive. In Luigi, the Canossa team and the wider Motorsport Network group, I have found the ultimate platform run by people who share my passion and vision.

Luigi Orlandini, Canossa Events CEO said, “I am delighted to welcome John and the Cavallino team to Canossa. We share the same passion for classic and sports cars, and especially for the Prancing Horse. Those "works of art on four wheels” are part of the history of mankind since the late 19th century and preserving this heritage through old and new generations is our common mission. My dream is to bring Cavallino to new heights, growing in size, quality and global presence, thanks to the help of my team of passionate professionals, and thanks to the many synergies that exist in Motorsport Network.

https://mailchi.mp/motorsportnetwork.com/canossa-events-acquires-cavallino-inc?e=d8eb82859b

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Congrats to John Barnes.

He always replied promptly to my emails when i had questions about the Classic and was always helpful and polite.

Hopefully the track days can go back to their former glory!

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ferrari Chatavallino!

Red 27 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Given the absolute shambles with Autosport magazine this time last year that really doesn't seem like good news to me as far as the magazine is concerned. I'd be much less worried about the event side of things since that seems to be what they are actually wanting to buy. It is always a concern when a business is being bought primarily for a part of its activities - as seems to be the case here - about what happens to the other part. I think we've seen that only in the last few days with Haynes having been bought and now discontinuing printing of their manuals.

What I note the article Marcel linked to does NOT say is anything about ongoing commitment to the printed magazine...

Daytonafan likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I have asked John Barnes what he can tell/if he can tell anything re potential continuation of the printed magazine or not. We shall see.
    Personally, I am worried.

Marcel Massini

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I get the sense that the whiz kids in Miami would like to digitize everything. So, no, not good news for the magazine. And just look at its masthead to see the invaluable relationships it has built over the years....a Hall Of Fame of marque experts and historians.

If it does continue I predict a shift from history to “lifestyle.”

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So can we assume this might lead to sooner rather than later demise of print version of the magazine ? :(
    And will the Classic suffer same fate as so many Monterey events in recent years ?
    Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Has anybody already received the December 2020 issue?

Marcel Massini

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
  11. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Still waiting on the magazine. I did get an email notification that it's coming.
    Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?........

.....well, stumbles and falls.

Jack-the-lad and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    This doesn’t sound like good news to me. I have subscribed to Cavallino for thirty years, I guess everything changes at some point.

Texas Forever, MarkTodd and of2worlds like this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I was going to subscribe given the demise of Enzo mag; but might hold off now. I’ve had sample subscriptions to online magazines in other areas and detest them I’d only want hard copy.

Seems Amalgam has had an interesting journey.

Llenroc and Jack-the-lad like this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I was told earlier this month 'no more news stand sales for print Cavallino, only by subscription now'. The December/January issue was guesstimated around the first or second week of December.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I admittedly don't seem to have time to read or even leaf through most of the several print magazines I subscribe or receive gift subscription to (most copies seem to end up in my "library" unopened :(), I've never bothered with reading online magazines, let alone subscribing to any.

Texas Forever, willrace and of2worlds like this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Chapters/Indigo Books was the only store that carried the magazine locally. Maybe 10 copies per issue. The second bookstore was just a single local place who carried Cavallino but they closed permanently last February. Not a good sign...

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #20 Nembo1777, Dec 9, 2020
    I owe a big debt of gratitude to John Barnes for getting me started as a writer.

It is when I saw a 512S longtail at the first Cavallino Classic in 1992 like in the film Le Mans that I suggested to John I do an article, I had never written a single one before. He said we'll consider it. It turned out to be the cover and 8 pages though that first article embarasses me. The second one was very important it was make or break so I chose Preston Henn's 6885, I still have Jacques Swaters very extensive notes he kindly sent. It was awe inspiring to write for a magazine I used to read as a teen in Paris (I cut up the first issue back then to glue the photos in an album argh) a collaboration quickly grew and included many, many research articles on iconic Ferraris, racing F1 and Le Mans reports , other events. I did the photoshoots as well (14 covers IIRC) unless it was a track test in which case it was Jerry Wyzatycki whom I brought along, he and John have done who knows how many shoots since.

JB paid me my first computer early on and always encouraged me. He invited me to the FCA nationals in Ohio 95 and Leesburg Virginia 97. In 1998 he was so happy with the numerous articles I was able to do after returning from Europe with lots of material that he invited me to Monterey, the whole week, not asking me to do a thing there, in fact in was able to drive a 375MM for Prancing Horse the Monday after. He trusted me to drive the cars safely though for the 333SP he had me sign a waiver stating I did this test drive as a freelance...I asked him what you don't want to pay for a balled up 333 landing in the swamp next to Moroso;-)?! and he just raised his eyebrows and smiled.

We really got into a roll, he never tried to control the way I did my articles, I loved the freedom of being able to write at the natural length of a story; no word count nonsense unlike most magazines today. It was a good fit and in the April 2000 issue I had 32 pages of content. He and Alicia ran a very tight well organized ship for decades.

Back then I spoke with two 250GTO owners about buying the magazine but it did not go further than some chats. We finished the first 100 issue index together and he was sooo happy to get that done! Then as time passed I began to be tired with the freelance status and in the summer of 2001 I asked him for a full time job but it was just not possible for such a relatively small operation so I moved on. I still enjoy seeing him and Alicia at Retromobile and catch up. I wish them the best and hope the magazine continues the way it is and was. Here is a photo of them with my first 944 in Boca Raton by the offices holding issue 101 just out in October 97 (it is the photo that is dirty not the building).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bisonte, Texas Forever, JL350 and 6 others like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I did ask John Barnes if the printed Cavallino magazine will continue and here's part of his email reply to me:

"And they (the buyers) are committed to a print edition. While they are big in the digital field, they recognize that the average reader of Cavallino wants a print edition in front of them."

Marcel Massini

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

You’d think that personal messages would have been sent to contributors like yourself before notices were sent to subscribers and the general public.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha! I know about as much as everyone else, but here are some things I know...
    • FerrariChat does not own anything with Canossa or Cavallino, a part owner of FerrariChat is Motorsport. I still own my same share of FerrariChat.
    • Nothing changes at FerrariChat except we will always look at ways to benefit each other through cross promotion like we have with Motor1, Amalgam, and Canossa.
    • Like my case, I'm sure John will still be involved with Cavallino. Despite what everyone said here I'm still at FerrariChat 4 years later and very little has changed. I'm still in complete operational control.
    • Canossa is an unbelievable organization run by Luigi, he's a great guy who puts on 5-star events and great reputation. That's who Ferrari hires to operate their high end events like Ferrari Cavalcade.
    • Magazines are a though business going forward, who knows, at least Motorsport has some experience now with the Autosport and other magazines. Motorsport is building up some great synergies with Ferrari that can help all the parts grow.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #24 Jack-the-lad, Dec 9, 2020
    I appreciate all of that, but my concern about the magazine is that most enterprises these days tend to see that type of publication as “backward looking” while management wants to preach “forward focused.” I hope the magazine doesn’t shift its emphasis from the history of the marque and the people who made it a legend, toward more current product promotion. That would be a betrayal of the mission of Cavallino.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The circulation number for the magazine have been on a downward trend for years. Stories are that they have had to do notable discounts from the published ad rates. Hopefully Cavallino magazine will continue in print and maintain the quality of the feature articles. One can hope but with new ownership the decision process will change and the initial stories given during the acquisition process may not last.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.