Roma Test Drive Parameters | FerrariChat

Roma Test Drive Parameters

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by gw32, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had my second test drive in the Roma and I am frustrated with not getting a proper driving experience to tell if I really want to own the car. Both drives at my Northern California dealer were identical: a lead follow of about 20 minutes mostly on the freeway in late afternoon traffic plus a short section of city streets not exceeding 35 mph. One drive was before I signed the purchase order and paid the deposit, the second after. I complained but he said insurance requirements prevented him from allowing me to have a longer drive.

While I like the Roma and on paper the specifications would indicate a relatively high level of performance, I am just uncomfortable spending $300K without really driving the car.

I have read numerous post of others having extensive test drives, one at 190 miles in Texas and another were the guy posted a photo on the drive stats from the dash indicating a maximum speed of 185 MPH (I think he was in Germany)!

What are your experiences with test drives at Ferrari dealers? Thanks for the input.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The sales manager at my local dealer — Ferrari of New England — handed me the key and said, “Go take a nice, long drive, and have fun.” That was with no deposit or prior discussion of an order. Although I am an owner, service my car there, and have bought two preowned Ferraris there in the past, I am certainly not one of their many customers apt to buy/order every new model that comes in, nor am I anywhere near being on the list for early allocations or special models. Nonetheless, I am always greeted warmly, by name, and feel like a valued customer. I look forward to speccing a car there someday.

I’m sure this varies by dealer, sounds like you might want to shop around.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FoSF??

FoSV has their demonstrator and just hands out the key...at least to me!

Do you have a relationship already with a dealer??

SV

4. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    FoSF. Made a deposit on a Roma last month.

5. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    My wife and I went to Ferrari of New England’s debut of the Roma last month. They had two cars but since it was very well attended no one was going to be able to go out for an extended drive. We went for about a 20 minute drive with our SA on local roads which was more than enough for me. After we brought it back he told me if we wanted to spend more time with it just give him a call to make arrangements. Everyone has their own perspective on this, but I don’t need test drives. We’ve bought a ton of cars over the years (including a Portofino last year) and have rarely taken them for a test drive before we pull the trigger. And when we do, it’s usually a quick drive on local roads. I have too much respect for other people’s property to take a demo out and push it to 190mph. Just my two cents.

ChrisDiRe and Florida Joe like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Roma test drive @ Boardwalk was similar to OP's.
    About 20 - 30 mins on surface roads.
    Plano is in the midst of the Metroplex suburban sprawl, so hard to get to the back roads from there.
    It was long enough for me to get an impression of likes/dislikes for the Roma...T

7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I knew it but Keith beat me to the question. I live in the city now and split time bw SF and Santa Rosa so the Marin location is ideal for f of SF but I will NEVER leave f of SV....they are amazing from the ownership to the guys washing my car. Was in to drop off my SF for a sale and they noticed my taycan was dirty and they insisted on washing it....I said, you can’t wash my Porsche at a Ferrari dealer but they weren’t hearing it. And while we had to wait...they gave us the keys to the f8 demo and told us to go kill time. It’s an awesome dealer.

Monsieur Yoge, jumpinjohn and VAF84 like this.
  8. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I moved from Woodside to Santa Rosa 4 yrs ago so know FoSV well but I don't go to the Peninsula often now and the drive with traffic was just too long.

RamsHmb likes this.
  9. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You guys do drives with FOG or FCA in the North Bay? I do with my black Scud.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FOG...tho not recently!

SV

11. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yea, there haven't been many this year. I went one on with them about 3 weeks ago. About 20 cars. Nice drive over Mt. Tam and up the coast. Since FOG wasn't doing them due to Covid, I stated doing FCA. Did 4 drives with them this year. Not quite as "spirited" as FOG.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I got the keys for 4 hours and my dealer knows I won't order one. Just had a go to see what was what. Find a dealer more suited to your needs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I was not very impressed. It's a nice car, but it feel like that, just a fast car. It does not have that unique feeling Ferrari steering feel. Slightly heavier and more hesitant. The throttle response is different and definitely not as crisp as the other cars in the lineup. Could just as well be a 911 or Aston. It's not a bad car, but I really did not feel like I was in a Ferrari.
    The touch screens... Wow. They will take some getting used to. Hope they feel different in the SF90. Ferrari, ffs, get back to buttons you don't have to look at to use.
    I'm not bothered by the visibility, that just comes with the type of car.

The interior feels very nice, but for some reason, I kept thinking Alfa Romeo. Not because of the quality, but rather because of the layout and shapes.

Overall I think a Porto is a better Ferrari. It might be slightly more GT than the Roma, but the Porto feels more like a Ferrari to me.

No thanks.

russellmcg likes this.
  15. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    I had the exact same reaction which surprised me because I’ve owned a bunch of Aston’s and thought I was going to love the Roma. And don’t get me wrong, I liked it, just not enough to get rid of our Portofino.

16. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I drove one for about an hour a couple of months ago and didn't really gel with it. Way too much going on the steering wheel with the overly complex touch controls for my liking. Since they launched the Portofino M with the same 620HP i'd choose this instead of the Roma. The folding top with the new more aggressive looks appeal to me along with the easier to comprehend controls.

17. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    While I have never driven or even been in a Portofino, based upon Ferraris’ information on both cars I would disagree with posters that say the Roma is not as sporty or doesn’t “feel like a Ferrari”. The Roma is 150 .lbs lighter, has more hp, significantly better power-to-weight ratio and has the new 8 speed gear box from the SF90. Its turbo system has been significantly improved over the Portofino to reduce turbo lack and provide a better torque range than the Portofino. The chassis is 107% more ridged and has a wider track and ¾ in. lower center of gravity. Additionally, it has an improved braking system, active rear spoiler with 200 lbs. more down force at 155 MPH and RACE mode on the manittino, which the Portofino does not yet have (coming with the ‘M’ version).

Based upon these objective differences, the Roma should be more fun and easier to drive faster than a Portofino….more of a Ferrari that a Portofino. Indeed, that was Ferrari’s objective with development of the Roma.

I have driven a Roma twice and I was impressed, especially with the quick steering, nimbleness, braking and the feeling that I was driving a much smaller car. I did not feel any turbo lag and the power delivery was excellent. It is not a sports car, like my 430 Scuderia, but not far off in terms of quickness and fun to drive. That said the Scud provides a completely different driving experience.

Besides that, the Roma is gorgeous inside and out. It just won the Production Cars category of the Car Design Awards. My Roma should be here next June.

Crom likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Which Ferraris have you driven? Those numbers mean absolutely nothing in this context - and I never said the Roma did not feel sporty. A Lusso does not feel sporty, but it is unmistakably Ferrari on all accounts. A Porsche 981 GT4 is one of the most balanced and well driven sports cars I have driven to date, but it is nothing like any Ferrari. Forget all the numbers. You need to experience the cars to know why it does not feel like a Ferrari. Even within Ferrari cars feel very different. The steering of a 488, F8 and Pista feels NOTHING alike despite them sharing all the same parts. They don't have the same throttle feel. The Porto may not be as rigid as a Roma, and in theory the Roma could have better throttle response - but it does not. It is all in the mappi g. They toned it down and made it more docile somehow.
    I have driven just about every model Ferrari has put out in the last 30 years, and several older models as well. All modern Ferraris have shared a unique sensation behind the wheel, no matter whether they have been dports cars or GT's. The Roma departs from this, and that was what Ferrari set out to do. At the presentation it was touted as a car for people who sought something easier to drive and live with, and after my 4 hours with the Roma, I can attest that the accomplished their goal. To put it into perspective just how different it is, I can describe it this way. My wife's DD which is a Merc AMG GTR feels more like a Ferrari and blends comfort and sport a lot better than the Roma does. I stand by my findings and my view is that Ferrari has created a Ferrari that could be any generic sports GT.

It's not a bad car, I just don't see any purpose for it. If it does not feel like a Ferrari, there are cars that do the same better.

Forget all your stats. Get some seat time, because that's the only way of knowing.

Monsieur Yoge likes this.
  19. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I haven’t but would be fun to do

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You're missing a lot of fun!

sV

21. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My post was specifically in response to your statement that "the Portofino is a better Ferrari than the Roma". A few other posters have made similar statements indicating preference of the Portofino over the Roma. My post made a comparison between the two because I don't understand how the Portofino can be a better drivers car than the Roma. I don't have enough experience with Ferraris to discuss a particular models Ferrari-ness as I have only driven a 458 once and have owned a Scuderia for the past four years (about 6K miles). I have been driving sports cars for 50 years, mostly Porsches which I also raced for 11 years. So I could have that discussion about Porsches but will defer to your experience as to which models exhibit more Ferrari-ness. My post used objective data to counter what I perceived as negative subjective statements about the Roma that are impossible to otherwise confirm or repudiate. You didn't explain how the Portofino is more of a Ferrari than the Roma. Specifically what driving dynamics or attributes make it so? Your certainly entitled to your opinion and it sounds like it is made based upon extensive experience with the brand. I'd like to understand why you have this opinion of the two car. I guess it boils down to what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari and why does the Portofino have more of 'it' than the Roma?

22. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Ferrari must be listening.. Just got a call offering an "extended" Roma test drive

23. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I picked up my Roma yesterday and we own a portofino...need more time but I disagree that the portofino is a better handling, more sporty ride. The Roma feels so much lighter, the engine response in my view is quicker and more linear. It’s an amazing car and feels much smaller than it is. Love our portofino and being a convertible is a big plus but if I had to pick one,,,Roma would be it. My 2 cents

008 and SVCalifornia like this.