Exhaust note | FerrariChat

Exhaust note

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Dec 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    why does a328 never sound like 308 or other Ferrari’s is there an exhaust out there that comes close

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    A tricky question, with a tricky answer. What model/version/market 328 are you referring to? Similarly, what version of 308? (other Ferraris, let's leave them out of the discussion for now).

Like for like - a 328 sounds the same as a 308. By like for like, I mean a US-spec catalytic converter equipped 328 will sound the same as a US-spec catalytic converter equipped 308 QV with factory exhaust systems, since they're pretty much the same aside from 200cc displacement. A Euro 328 with no cats will sound exactly the same as a nocat Euro 308 QV, as they literally have the same factory exhaust system, and very similar to a no-cat Euro 2V 308 with factory exhaust.

Put a Tubi exhaust on a 328, put a Tubi exhaust on a similar 308, they will sound the same. Put different exhausts on one or the other, then they will sound different. Compare a catalytic converter car to a non-cat car, they will sound different.

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Different types of fuel can also have a dramatic effect on the exhaust note. IE Leaded vs. Unleaded, alcohol etc.

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Obviously not comparing a Carbed 308 against a fuel injected 328 though..
    The Carbed car will always have a sweeter note coming through the induction system as well..

5. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    V4NG0 likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! Heresy!!!!

dinoart likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Depends on your definition of "sweet" - if it's gurgling noises then yea, I guess for you it would be better. There seems to be a lot of over-hyped nostalgia for carburetors these days but bear in mind that F1 cars stopped using them in like what, 1968? :)

8. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    this is easily my favorite topic on this site. i've had my 1989 328 now for nearly 2 months. I got it with 26k miles and in those 2 months i've already put 1000 miles on it. I'm looking for more richness in the sound (not louder, but more musical). The exhaust is original, but had the infamous VW whine/whistle. Fixed that with the homemade steel inserts i read about here. But, I've decided to buy a Tubi, in large part due to dinoart's post (and many others like it on youtube). I live in California, so no straight pipe, just the exhaust. will be interesting to see (hear?) how it turns out.

9. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    I have a 328GTS in California as well. Do you think you’ll pass smog testing with a Tubi? How about a Capristo? That said I think the stock sound is already solid.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    I hope so. My mechanic says it will and the Tubi dealer says it will (the website says its not for road use, go figure). I’m not touching the cat and it just passed smog test easily. Anyone else here in California have a perspective?

11. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Stenley, you will need that cat to pass Cal smog. It takes me an hour to swap it back in. Just make sure you have a good new cat and not that original bomb.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Generally speaking, yes, agreed.
    Nit-picking, but only slightly: remember that the last 328s, those produced during the last 12 months or so, had a different induction tube from the air scoop, in rubber foam against the solid plastic tube of the earlier cars, to mitigate their noise; some of the "euro" market 328s, specifically the german cars, had a more muted exhaust box due to more stringent noise regulations...
    Rgds

13. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    I’m keeping the cat just replacing the exhaust with a tubi.

And my car is one of the last from 1989 and has the rubber foam you mention nerofer - are you suggesting that replacing that with an older model’s plastic tube would alter the sound? I wonder if I should try that before replacing the exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The first race car to use fuel injection was the Mercedes 300SL of 1952; it appeared for the first time in Formula One in 1954, on the Mercedes W196 F1 car (a high-pressure direct injection system in which the fuel was sprayed straight into the cylinder).
    When/what was the last use of a carbed engine in Formula One is a much more difficult question to answer. Certainly by the early sixties, fuel –injection was becoming the norm, and carbed engines the exception ; the « common » Coventry-Climax V8 FWMV was definitively fuel-injected in 1963, perhaps even earlier.

Considering that the transition to 3 litre engines in 1966 was not immediate, as very few 3 litre engines were available some older engines were adapted and used for quite sometime, I would not be surprised if some carbed engine might still have been used by some privateer here or there until the end of the sixties. But it would certainly be an exception.

Rgds

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't know for sure if replacing it by the older plastic tube would change the sound or rather the volume of engine compartment noise, but I do know that the supple rubber foam tube was specifically introduced for noise reduction (And most of these tubes have rubber that is shot away today anyway, so...)

That being said, the question of exhaust note or sound is a really difficult one to answer, as it is not really objective but a matter of opinion: some people would tell you Tubi is the closest to what it should be, some others Capristo, some others Larini, some others ANSA and what-have-you; but what should it be, exactly?Furthermore, you, the driver, are not outside listening to the car passing by but at the wheel and you hear a different sound (and a constant one, no passing effect, no doppler effect, etc...)

The best solution would be to know somebody close to you with the same car and the same exhaust you plan to have; listening to that car froml the outside, then driving it.

Rgds

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Your car will pass with a Tubi in California

Mine does

Thank you

17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Tubi with K & N makes a great exhaust note, you can also use a test pipe instead of that hot, heavy restrictive cat converter

Thank you

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I dont think so , Tubi is going to make the significant difference, use a Test Pipe in place of the cat, along with a K & N, this will give you the proper sound for the 328 , the K & N will give you a slight / medium kind of cool induction sound, not like a carbed 3x8, but still nice. I have heard many other mufflers , lets say on you Tube, the Tubi will provide the best period correct sound for a 328 .I have had mine for 20 years, which says something about the quality, superb.

Thank you

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The word "injection" is vague too although it unambiguously means "not carburation".

The BMW Museum in Munich has a circa year 2000 F1 engine on display. The injectors are simple fuel spraying nozzles (CIS?) sitting at the top of each intake horn. Given the narrow band of RPM that F1 engines operate, the engine may not even have throttle plates.

I was struck by the crude nature of the "injection" system. It was much more like that in a carburetor.

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Ferrari also - at the Ferrari Museum in Maranello in 2016, they had these 2 F1 engines on display stands.

The 048 from 1999:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

and the 050 from 2001:

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Technically a carburetor is an injection system too, it just uses a venturi to create the pressure differential. They can also be very clean and efficient within a set of parameters but when you go outside of those such as partial throttle deceleration, closed throttle idle, or rapid acceleration you start needing auxiliary circuits and other add on contrivances. Toss in emissions regulations and it quickly becomes a Rube Goldberg nightmare. Race cars could get away without a lot of that stuff but you couldn't sell a street car that would cough and buck or barely run at anything under three thousand rpm, I once owned a 1981 Honda Accord. It wasn't the last carbureted car sold in North America but it was close and I swear that carb had a couple of dozen vacuum lines hooked up to it running off to all sorts of little dashpots and manifolds and other mysterious controllers in a desperate attempt to get it to pass the standards through one more manufacturing year. It even had a device that would increase the rpm so the thing wouldn't stall when you turned the headlights on. :rolleyes:

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    F-1 moved to injection more like in the late 50's & Early 60's for Ferrari. Mercedes has F-I back in 54

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    One of the nicest 328's I ever heard had twin Borla exhausts on it. this was at Autoplace in Pittsburgh. they stored cars in their basement - and I fired this car up it was awsome to hear it... I always wanted to to that with my 328 but never got around to it. It gave it a really deep throaty roar... for the 328 I like the Larini exhaust they sound very good at moderate to high revvs. ...but I would imagine it to be difficult to live with day to day.

375+ likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    J.A. Pearce entered this Cooper T73 with a Ferrari 250 GTO engine for driver Chris Lawrence in the 1966 season; British and German GPs and two non-championship events. The car was reportedly destroyed in a transporter fire, I wonder if the engine survived?

25. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    How did we end up from exhausts note to this ?