Maranellos are disappearing | Page 73 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Wow, that's a great color

2. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    As a specialized on importing rare cars from Japan,
    I was bidding this time on this 550 for myself not a client. Car was great only bad thing it did not have any books, keys or service records. Price went little too high considering that (100.000€) + additional expenses. Although I believe it did really have only 5000 km. Also really rare color and racing seats so i'm pretty disapointed I did not buy it. You can check video inspection of my guy from auction
    https://fb.watch/2kwDTudsKu/

Sent from my SM-G960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jamiew and LVP488 like this.
  3. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
  4. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks for sharing - very nice video - colour shows up great.

So it sold for EUR 100k?

5. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    Yeah car price was 12.5 mil ¥ / 100.000€.
    Auction charges and other expenses are not included in that price.

6. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    If it had been RHD, I might have been willing to pay that. I agree it's not a steal, but it looked nice. You'd have to factor in a fair amount of £ / € for recommissioning if it's been sitting around unused all this time. But after that you'd have a super unique, super low mileage car. For the right person, it's a good deal in my opinion.

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I guessed the colour right!!

Nothing explained on its history, including about it being a Euro car in Japan?

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I always liked exotic colors that are unusual.

Although when I actually buy color is way down on the list of priorities.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    there are a lot of grey market Euro LHD Ferraris in Japan. They are considered a status symbol and I believe this car was genuine, many don’t get driven much. The cars can be great but the history or lack of causes problems for resale when they come back to Europe.

10. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
    It not Euro car, it official japanese dealer imported car by dealer Cornes as you can see on carpets. Many expensive and rare cars are Lhd in Japan. People often confuse that and think that those are european cars imported, but they are not. They were ordered that way by the dealer/customer

Spider68 likes this.
  11. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It's a Euro-spec car, not a Japanese-spec car. The floor mats don't tell you that Cornes imported it necessarily. I know Japanese Ferraris are almost always LHD but it has a Euro-spec VIN (B in eighth character, not J). So although it isn't impossible that it was new to Japan it is very unlikely.

12. FilipZg

FilipZg Rookie

Oct 17, 2019
    Zagreb
    Full Name:
    Filip
  13. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    A visual clue to help spot J-spec cars are the front wing/fender side markers/indicator repeaters.

Located directly below the SF shields (where fitted) they are:

Rectangular on J-spec. cars,
    Circular on Euro spec. cars, and
    Absent on US spec cars (different rectangular non-flashing side markers are located in the front bumper, ahead of the front wheels).

Google search the below VIN and check out the gallery on Collecting Cars

ZFFZR49J000110019

Themaven and F456M like this.
  14. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok thank you! I am looking at it right now..

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If I got a car like this the resale issue would be my kids problems.. hehehe

16. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    This times 100. Lhd are not moving out of the UK unless they are hybrid. It will be cheaper to buy cars from the US than getting them from the UK.
    Most countries in EU to buy outside of the EU you will pay full taxes (cc, co2, vat) like a new car, at the very least you pay normal import taxes plus vat.
    All the f40s, cgts and after 70s classica (some EU countries do not give a classic import status for cars after 69) will be stuck there either until the pound is at least 20% lower than EUR or there is some country that runs low import taxes for UK products allowing them to get EU registred for a value that makes sense.

Or Boris can figure out a different import duties table. Not hopeful. But a chance for those liquid enough to catch some proper nice metal for a discount. Only LHD being the biggest losers I would assume.

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm too lazy to look this up and it hardly seems worth the effort anyway since the politicians are still arguing about everything but I would have thought that LHD Ferraris in the UK, having already (mostly) come from the EU (excluding the UK) and therefore had all necessary duty paid when new, would not then require further duty paid if they were to go back to the EU after 1 Jan. That is clearly not the same as US or Canadian cars which would not otherwise have had any relevant EU duty paid.

18. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    It does not work like that. If the car is registred in the UK is an UK car, it will pay the exact same as a from new UK car.
    There are some exemptions for immigrants in some countries, others have some exemptions for expats, but in general it's clean cut.

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Ok thanks. I asked because I know it isn't like that in Australia, for example. If a car was sold new in Australia and then later exported second hand, there wouldn't be duty re-importing it back to Australia.

20. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    so you buy a 60k GBP 550 from one of these UK dealers auctions lets say, its a japanese import. you live in germany. what does it cost after jan 1 to get registered in germany?

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That’s part of the current EU-UK conversation. Though I guess further down the list than fish, which are suddenly very important.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Typically for goods coming from outside the EU you have to pay the VAT over the purchase price (my understanding is that you may not have to pay a custom duty if the good was initially originated in the EU).
    For a used car there is a significant risk of increasing the final price since the UK VAT may not be possible to claim back.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I believe that in Germany for a car imported from outside the EU you would pay 10% customs duty plus VAT plus the usual process of customs clearance, proof of ownership, TUV. Germany is stricter than say the UK where standards of proof of ownership are lower.

You don’t have to pay the duty if the car was originally sold in the EU.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/relief-from-customs-duty-and-vat/goods-reimported-into-the-european-union/index.aspx

You would also need documentation to prove this.

F456M likes this.
  24. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That's what I expected to be the case. So a car sold new in Germany, exported to the UK and then sold back to Germany would not attract duty. Logically (although logic might not be involved!) that would also apply to any car sold new in the UK whilst the UK was in the EU. So all UK 550s, for example, would have had EU duty paid and should, logically, be able to be exported to the EU without further duty (although largely irrelevant as RHD cars aren't likely to be attractive on the Continent anyway).

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That’s a good point. There’s no precedent for customs duties when importing from a country that has left the EU. What you say would make sense. Though I guess we have to wait and see. Will Germany and the rest of the EU treat second-hand goods customs cleared in the UK when it was part of the EU, as non-EU imports. I see money for lawyers in this. Imagine you are buying not a humble Maranello but secondhand German industrial equipment worth tens of millions, from a UK factory.