Big Island Ferrari... new to F-Chat | FerrariChat

Big Island Ferrari... new to F-Chat

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Red4Ferr, Nov 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hi,
    I have a red-tan 1985 Mondial Cab on the Big Island. New to F-Chat and just wanted to say hello to other enthusiasts living here. I've seen a few exotic cars around, who are you?
    Red4

2. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
  3. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Very nice Mondial...
    There are a few Ferraris on the Big Island:
    There is a white FF or similar hatchback.
    I saw a burgundy Portofino / California yesterday. Both of these cars are going in the opposite direction, so I only got a glimpse.
    There was a black 458/488 up in Hawi a year ago.
    "Ahi" had a 458 and 430. Don't know if he's still around.
    The owner of Route 66 Automotive, in Kailua Kona, has a red 599. I would use him if you ever have any trouble with your car.
    There's a black Maserati convertible and a yellow Lambo-I-don't-know-what (maybe an Aventador?)
    (I have a gray 599.)

4. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks.
    Good to have company on the island.
    I've been here ten years. I know Mike (Route 66) and his 599 and I've seen a gray 458, but not the others.
    I believe a gal owns the Maserati.
    Can you post a pic of your 599? I'd like to see it.
    Red4

5. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  6. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very nice and it's a 6spd manual! Hard to find and worth it.
    My '02 360 was as well. I've had the Mondial since '88. The 5spd manual and open top is fun to drive (easier to service) here.
    What do you do for service?

7. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    If I can, I do my own service. (I've owned and worked on Ferraris since the mid-1970s.)
    Traditionally, I've been a vintage guy, having no problem with carburetors and injection before the 1990s. But my favorite late-sixties / early-seventies cars are potential rust buckets in Hawaii, so I switched to this new-fangled 2007. So far it's been kind to me, with no computer problems, but I'm living on the edge as only the Ohau dealer can sort serious stuff out. The manual 599 is less complicated than the F1, but if it starts demanding to visit the dealer I'll sell it and get another Daytona.

8. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Doing your own work is the best way to go... if you know how. I don't have the wrench skills, (I enjoy hand detailing, working with the paint and leather.) It is nerve wracking not having the diagnostic (etc) equipment here that the newer generations need . Driving my car down to the Ferrari tech that I've trusted for 25 years is a little different than putting it on a barg to Ohau to be serviced by ?? or shipping it back to the mainland. Do you know Ferrari service on Ohau?
    Come to think of it... the Daytona doesn't seem like a huge consequence to selling the 599 :).

9. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    The 599 and all the newer Ferraris use some proprietary ODB2 codes that sometimes only the yearly-updated-Ferrari-Dealer-code-reader can sort out.
    These readers are very expensive and the only place in Hawaii that has one is likely JN (Velocity) on Ohau. Some shops on the Mainland try to get away with the less expensive Leonardo Diagnostic Tool. For the do-it-yourselfers, the best we can do is the LAUNCH X431 PROS Mini Bidirectional Scan Tool. This is an excellent reason to stick with non-computer, vintage Ferraris.

I sold a freshly-restored Daytona before I left the Mainland because I didn't want it to rust here, the AC is useless, and my wife thinks it stinks (no emissions).
    But I miss those visceral carburetors and no power steering.

10. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Yes.
    Even though I love the performance and design of the newer Ferraris, living here forces a more practical choice in what to own. I want to keep my cars well maintained at all times so complex repairs and computer systems are a problem. This is the big issue. From a driving perspective, the Island is a scaled down version of real world roads. So, how much of the newer Ferraris can you actually use here? (OK, not a big issue).
    I'm keeping the Mondial and although I've been considering an F430 Spider...living here would be a good reason to go back to "analogue" vintage. The 512 BB (I like carbs, too), or BBi.(the Bosch K-Jetronic should be serviceable here).

Don't suppose you have pics of that "freshly-restored Daytona"?

11. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Joe Macari bought 13547 from me:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/official-daytona-pics.31799/page-28#post-143548231
    It is now in Switzerland.

Your thoughts on a Boxer in Hawaii are realistic and they will hold value better than an F430. I found the carb Boxer to be a much better car than the BBi. They are made quite differently than previous Ferraris, with fiberglass lower front & rear panels and aluminum clamshells... little to rust. The cons are lousy AC and the occasional engine-out service, which is no big deal... I've done it in my home garage twice.

12. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Beautiful Daytona... they are very special.

Right about the fiberglass panels. If I'm not mistaken, the 512 was designed by Pininfarina's Leonardo Fioravanti who also designed the '76 308 ( fiberglass body).

I've been looking for a Bosch fuel pressure test kit (one that has the right fittings for the Mondial QV). I've talked with Bosch and a number of tool supplier/mfg but no luck. Any ideas?

13. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    The injected Boxer I once had experienced some odd fuel delivery issues. I just replaced all the injectors and that accidentally fixed it.
    Those Bosch injectors were not Ferrari specific (they were found on many cars), so I imagine Mondial injectors are also inexpensive items that I would try replacing first. It's an easy job commonly found on YouTube.

14. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks Z.
    I'm having a warm start issue. At cold it starts up right away. After running, not as quickly. This issue is not uncommon with other QV’s.
    The injectors check out OK (no leaks) but it’s a good time to replace them. My tech on the mainland is sending a set. We're checking (replacing) the other usual suspects; accumulator, fuel pump check valve, thermo time switch, etc.

I found a fuel pressure test kit with Bosch fittings so we can be more accurate in diagnosing the problem. We’ll find it.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Might try next time opening engine compartment after driving. Might be a vapor lock type problem.

16. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Finished the service, no more “hot start” issue. New injectors, distributor caps, rotors, thermo time switch, check valve, installed new (reman) fuse box and relays. While we were at it, replaced the steering rack, end tie rods, bushings and an alignment next week. Belt service was done recently with new radiator, fans and hoses. Runs great.
    I’ve had the Mondial for 33 years, 70K miles. To me, it’s not about the maintenance cost to resale value, it’s the fun of keeping it in top condition and driving it the way I want with no worries. Driving an older Ferrari (manual) is a more visceral, raw experience. They work me harder, which connects me to the car differently. No systems and switches to compensate. That doesn’t mean I don’t love the newer ones (I’ve had one and hopefully another) but I’ll keep the Mondial for the island.

Does anyone know of a good soft top installer and leather interior shop on the island?

17. zeno

zeno Rookie

Oct 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Zeno
    I'm on the Big Island and thinking of shipping over a Maserati Granturismo (2010). Am I an idiot or worth the risk (in terms of finding someone to be able to work on it/repair?).

18. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Big Island European Auto Repair (near Costco) or Route 66 Automotive (in Kona) can likely handle issues.
    If not, you barge it over to the Maserati dealer on Oahu.

19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Any good repair spots on the big island?

20. Red4Ferr

Red4Ferr Rookie

Nov 27, 2020
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Al
    It depends on what you'll need serviced. The diagnostic equipment may not be available here for newer models. I've been using Kona European Auto Repair. PM me if you'd like more info.

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There are two European Service businesses in Kona. One close to Costco.....the other further south and not quite to the harbor up the hill. I have seen a lot of vintage cars there.