Cylinder liner removal? | FerrariChat

Cylinder liner removal?

Discussion in '308/328' started by wilkrod, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Hi all,
    So with my 83 QV motor completely disassembled, my question is do I pull the cylinder liners also, or leave them be.
    Also I noticed my liners are magnetic, I thought they were aluminum?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How could liner be aluminum? I don’t think that’s gonna work. Anyway, at least have it mic and see where you’re at

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Since you are this far in and given the o rings at the bottom of the liners that seal the coolant from the oil, why wouldn't you especially given the age of these cars.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Brian Harper likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Well, his QV had aluminum liners when it left the factory back in 83. I suppose it's possible that someone swapped in iron or steel liners since... or maybe the Nikasil coating imparts some magnetic attraction.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Nikasail is not magnetic, or extremely weakly magnetic. Generally, the test is if a magnet won't stick it's Al sleeves (or an Al block) with Nikasail, if a magnet sticks it's iron sleeves. Another test is that iron sleeve develope a ridge pretty quickly where as Nikasail coated liners won't have a significant ridge or none that can be felt unless the Nikasail is worn through.

8. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Thanks guys, I did confirm that the nikasil is what is causing the magnetic attraction. One of the cylinders from my Ducati does the same thing. Pulled the liners today, no problem, they are magnetic on the interior, but not exterior. Glad I pulled them the o-rings were in bad shape.

GordonC and waymar like this.
  9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    You learn something new every day, I would not have thought them magnetic. If you're buying a gasket set the viton o-rings are included. If not I have them for £10 set of 8.

GordonC likes this.
  10. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    With it apart to this point, dissemble and clean everything. Don't forget to replace the seals for the transmission shift rod. Its a breeze now and pain latter.