F430 bullet proof? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F430 bullet proof?

Discussion in '360/430' started by georgiadawgs, May 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Manual or F1...

2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Said he did an F1 fluid change in his initial post a few years back. :)

SpencerMarks likes this.
  3. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Holy smokes that’s impressive

tbakowsky and armedferret like this.
  4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    exactly which drugs are you takin ?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    kes7u, Flea7, Red 27 and 4 others like this.
  6. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Nice. Mine has 53k now. Clutch at like 35k

NMNMNMN likes this.
  7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  9. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    tbakowsky, I want to remove the intake plenum on mine as well. Looks simple enough, but what's that connection at the front of the engine? There appears to be some "rod/meter" that must control something within the plenum. How easy is that to disconnect?

10. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    tbakowsky, Looks beautiful!
    I want to remove the intake plenum on mine as well. Looks simple enough, but what's that connection at the front of the engine? There appears to be some "rod/meter" that must control something within the plenum. How easy is that to disconnect?

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    OMG thats fabulous intake refurb, please detail the process and costs, color etc

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    U can get a seal kit to fix it and save a lot money

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

that is a “compensation valve” (not sure what it does or how exactly it works but likely equalizes/maximizes flow of air into the intake runners). When I did my gaskets I just unbolted the lower part that attaches to the right side intake runner. There are ball joints at both ends of the rod that could probably be popped off but mine were very tight and I didn’t want to risk it by forcing them off. Good luck!

14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Meanwhile, on the topic "is the F430 bullet proof" I suggest you take a few minutes to peruse 90% of the problem threads on this forum and the answer is NO, at least for a F1, 5k a year after 30k miles and a lot of time off the road too waiting for parts, especially in the summer, when you most want to drive it !

15. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I will say this, however. You may be right that a lot of the peripherals can be problematic (which I still maintain, a lot of which can be chalked up to lack of use), you absolutely do not see a lot of "I blew up my engine" or "I just had to rebuild my gearbox" threads. Not very common at all, so at least the engine/tranny seems robust. And although many cars are still "garage queens,' there are enough of them out there in the real world being driven that if there were serious, systemic, engine reliability/longevity issues (think IMS issues on Porsche 9x6/9x7 engines, 991 gt3 cam follower issues, BMW m-car rod bearings, etc...), I think we would have heard of them by now. Peruse any other car forum (even the venerable Porsche forums) and you will see many such threads, but knock on wood, there just aren't many "broken engine" or "I had to rebuild my 430" threads out there. And trust me, when people have issues they post them. What we don't see is people posting threads simply to report that their car did not happen to break that day!

16. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I’ll plan on doing just that if and when I get my 430 back from the dealerships service department. It’s been over two months for the F1 actuator rebuild job and still no word how much longer. They’ve had the rebuilt unit in their possession for 7 working days. UGH☹️

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This stuff is not available at Walmart. Be thankful there are people out there willing to fix your toy.

tatry68 likes this.
  18. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    LOL !!!!!
    Walmart might do a better job
    And you left out a couple of words.

Be thankful there are people out there willing to TRY TO fix your toy.

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I must say this inspired me today and so I took some 400 grade wed and dry sandpaper, together with plenty of clear alcohol spirits and sanded mine down, I even filed down the top of the aluminium ribs to match the Ferrari logo. Then I washed it all down with a hosepipe and applied Trinova clear leather polish when it was dry, never been happier with a result
    [​IMG]

Red 27, mathewr and armedferret like this.
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    This outfit might be worth a look, never used them but interesting page.. ssautotech.co.uk

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

They way I do them.is to strip the plenum right down to the bare aluminum. Wash it thoroughly and make sure its completely dry. I the spray it with VHT wrinkle red and use a heat gun to activate the wrinkle paint. Once dry, I then fog over the wrinkle paint with a brighter red to bring up the color. Glad you like it..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NMNMNMN, Red 27 and armedferret like this.
  22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    impressive thks, my paint was just dull, not cracking but very happy with my lighter scale refurb to make them shine bright red again

NMNMNMN likes this.